The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 37

I spent the next few days at home with my new kitten, having some good old fashioned rest and relaxation. Who knew that living with a couple of guys for four days could be so tiring? I made sure that I had gotten everything I could to spoil Kevin completely and watched a whole bunch of movies.
On New Year’s Eve I got a call from Jared.
“Hey love. You doing anything tomorrow night?” He asked.
“Don’t think so. Why?”
“Cause I’ve been invited to a last minute New Year’s party down on the beach and I want you to come with me.”
“Alright, why not. Who’s gunna be there?”
“Just some locals: Brad and Angelina, Johnny Depp, Chase Crawford. Those types of people.”
“Brad? Johnny? Chase?” I squeaked.
“Yeah.” He chuckled.
“I’m so there.” I said immediately.
“Good. I’ll come pick you up around five.”
“Wait! What should I wear?”
“Not a clue, but the invite I got said fancy beach attire. Whatever the fuck that is.”
“Alright then, I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Bye darling.”
“Bye.”

I tore out of the living room, Kevin following me playfully, straight to my wardrobe to look for something suitable for this New Years Eve party. My first famous celebrity party. I pulled out every dress and skirt that I owned, finding nothing. After an hour of trying on everything item of clothing I started to lose hope.

It was right at the very back of my wardrobe where I found the perfect outfit. I had bought it a few years ago for a Greek themed party. It was knee-length and a soft lilac grey colour. Off one shoulder with a thin cord tied around the waist. Put together with a pair of bronze gladiator flip flops I had an outfit. The next day couldn’t come fast enough.

When it came to Johnny Depp I was kind of impatient. So the next day I was showered, dressed, with hair and make-up done and ready to go by half four, if I was going to be in the same place as Johnny then I couldn’t waste a single second of that precious time.
I sat on my sofa, foot impatiently jiggling, waiting for Jared to pick me up. Kevin curled up sleeping contentedly next to me on the cushions, purring away madly. Finally, after the minutes passed by agonisingly slowly, I heard the door open.

“Ri? You ready?” I heard Jared’s voice call.
I didn’t even bother replying; I just grabbed by bag and raced over to him, eager to get going.
“Slow down love, we’re still early.” Jared chuckled at me enthusiasm.
“But, Johnny Depp.” I said.
“Johnny Depp will still be there. Now, take a step back and let me look at you.” Jared held me out at arm’s length.
“Wow. You look stunning.” He said, his eyes roving over my attire.
“It’s just a dress.” I downplayed his compliment.
“Yeah, but you make it look gorgeous. Johnny Depp isn’t going to be able to resist you.” He joked.
“Here’s hoping.” I smiled.

“OK, let’s go, I know you’re dying to.” Jared stepped to the side, allowing me out the door.
We are out of the apartment and down in the car in record time. I don’t think Jared had ever seen anyone so excited to go to a party before; he kept teasing me the whole car journey down to the beach. By the time we pulled up, my heart was racing and my hands were clammy. I had gone from extremely excited to extremely nervous.

“Everything’s going to be fine. I’ll be with you all night, I promise.” Jared said quietly, placing a kiss on my forehead while placing his hand gently on the small of my back to guide me in the right direction.
His words soothed me and his touch caused my heart to kick-start into high gear. No matter how long I’d known him, his hands still caused electricity to course through my veins.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*
I couldn’t believe how stunning she looked. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. The way her dress exposed one shoulder and half her back made me just want to hold her and cover all of that skin in kisses.
I’m not sure how long I would be able to contain my feelings for her without bursting.
Tonight. I would tell her tonight at midnight.

*Regular P.O.V.*
Jared kept his promise and stayed with me all night, always making sure that his hand was on my back or holding mine. I couldn’t shift the stupid smile off my face whenever I noticed calloused palm rubbing against my skin comfortingly, reminding me that he was there for me.
“So, how long have you two been together?” Johnny Depp asked a few hours later. Yep that right, we were talking to Johnny Depp!
“Oh, me and Jared? No, no, we’re not together.” I assured him; I could feel my face heating up. I was glad that Jared had chosen to go get some drinks a few minutes before, after introducing us.
“Are you sure? He looks pretty smitten with you. And I noticed how you smiled when he held you’re hand.” Johnny said.
“You’re pretty observative aren’t you?” I smiled.
“That I am, pet.”
“Hey, what’d I miss?” Jared turned up, handing me a red drink.
“Nothing much. Just getting to know your friend Riley here.” Johnny said amiably.
“She’s great, isn’t she?” Jared said, smiling down at me.
“Indeed. Don’t let her go.” Johnny said before he his concentration was captured by none other than James McAvoy.

“C’mon, we still have a few minutes before midnight; let’s go down to the water’s edge.” Jared suggested, taking my hand and leading the way down the beach.
“Thank you. For bringing me along I mean.” I said as we sat on the soft, cool sand.
“I wouldn’t have had it any other way.” Jared replied, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me closer.
“It’s gorgeous tonight.” I commented tilting my head back to look at the stars.
“It is.” Jared agreed quietly.

I looked over at him to find his stare meeting mine.
“You weren’t even looking at the sky.”
“I know.” His gaze into my eyes didn’t waver.
We stayed frozen in that moment, looking into one another’s eyes. I was hoping against hope that his words meant what I thought they did, but at the same time I felt convinced that that could never happen.
“Riley, there’s something I need to tell you...” Jared began.
“OK, I’m all ears.” I said, glad that our intense little moment hadn’t caused any sudden awkwardness.
“It’s just that...I think I may be- Ever since we...” He stumbled over his words, seemingly not quite sure how to start. He took a deep breath before trying again.

“I think I’m falling in l-“ He started to say before a deafening, screeching explosion cut him off.
We simultaneously looked upwards to see the remains of a giant blue firework hanging in the air.
“I guess we missed the count down.” I said.
“Yeah, looks like it. And the traditional New Year’s kiss.”
“Yeah...”
“It could be bad luck to break that tradition...” Jared ventured.
“Yeah, causing a whole year of bad shit until the next New Year.” I agreed.
“I don’t want you to lose your job.” Jared said.
“I don’t want your fans to suddenly hate you.” I added.
“So, um... Happy New Years.” Jared murmured, leaning forward.
“Happy New Years.” I answered.

Our lips met in an innocent peck on the lips. Before I could truly savour it, the sensation was gone. I opened my eyes to find Jared’s own icy blues boring into mine only centimetres away, I could still feel his warm breath on my cheeks.
Slowly, his hand rose up to my cheek, cupping it gently and pulling it back closer to him. When I didn’t stop him, he pushed his lips against mine once more, this time with added urgency. This was different than the kiss he gave me before he went on tour; this one was sober and full of burning determination. I immediately responded, working my lips in time with Jared’s. His hand wound its way from my cheek to the back of my neck, pulling me closer. In response, my hands jumped to his short blonde hair and tangled themselves in tightly.

I didn’t know how long we stayed in that position; it could have been seconds or hours. Hell, it could have been days and I wouldn’t have noticed. All I could feel was Jared’s skin against mine and my heart, racing as if I was running a marathon.
When we finally pulled apart I found myself somehow lying down with Jared half above me. Nothing was said for several seconds; I was too busy making sure I would never forget this moment.
“You’re so beautiful, you know.” Jared finally said in a husky voice, brushing some strands of hair from my face. Those simple words, begin uttered from his lips, meant more to me than anything anyone had ever said before.

I looked away, my cheeks burning.
“Please don’t. It’s true.” He lifted my chin up, forcing me to look again into his eyes.
“I’ve wanted to do that since last time; when I kissed you before tour.” Jared admitted to me.
I couldn’t find my words, the ones which would convey that I felt exactly the same. That I had wished every time I looked into his eyes that he would say those exact words. My head was so full of different emotions; elation at what had just happened, confusion at what it meant, and curiosity; Jared never finished what it was he was going to say.
“Please...say something.” Jared pleaded.
“Happy New Year.” I finally said, pulling him back toward me for another kiss.