The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 41

Jacob was stood outside the restaurant looking very dapper. It was a more expensive place than our last date was, but that was all part of Shannon’s grand scheme. I was wearing the purple dress that I was trying on when Jacob and I first met.

“Well don’t you look gorgeous tonight?” Jacob complimented me as I walked up to him.
“Thank you; you clean up pretty well yourself.” I returned the praise.
“Shall we?” He offered me his arm.
“We shall.” I threaded my arm through his and walked through the doors to the very posh restaurant.
“So what exactly is going on?” Jacob asked half an hour later as our food arrived.
“Well, you remember my friend Jared?”
“Is this the famous Jared Leto friend Jared?”
“Yes that one. Well, things have been, I don’t know, between us. We kissed on New Years, and then he acted very affectionate for a while, then completely avoided me. Shannon says he likes me but I disagree. So this is Shannon’s over the top plan to prove me wrong I guess.”
“And you went along with it?”
“I didn’t really have the chance to say no.” I laughed.
“Thanks for helping out, by the way.” I added.
“No problem. It’s nice to see you again.” He smiled.

After a few minutes of more eating and catching up, I noticed that something behind me caught Jacob’s eye.
“What is it?” I asked.
“Don’t turn around. Shannon and Jared just walked through the doors.”
“Oh, OK.” My heart suddenly kicked into overdrive. This was a stupid idea; I can’t believe I let Shannon talk Jacob and me into this.

“Now what’s happening?” I asked discreetly over my wine glass.
“The waiter is taking them to a table over to your left. Shannon is sitting with his back to us; I guess so Jared is facing us.” Jacob replied, his eyes following the brothers furtively.
“This is so stupid.” I mumbled, voicing my thoughts.
“True. But I agree with Shannon. There is definitely something between you and Jared. From the stories you’ve told me and the way your face lights up when you talk about him. There is something more than just desire there.” Jacob told me wisely.
“What on earth do you mean?”
“I think you love each other. Real, true, honest love.” He said bluntly.

I sputtered slightly over my drink, surprised at how easily he seemed to come to that conclusion. I knew my feelings were painfully obvious to Shannon, but if Jacob could read my passion for Jared so easily as well, maybe Jared himself could too. Maybe that’s why he was acting so weird. He probably just wanted a fling, but when he realised my feelings for me he got freaked out.
“But anyway, this isn’t part of the plan. Jared needs to see you having an amazing time on a date with someone that isn’t him. So...new subject. Guess what.” Jacob moved on swiftly, trying to take my mind off the heavier subject.

“What?” I asked, glad of the distraction.
“I’ve met someone.” He smiled.
“Really? Who?” My face immediately lit up at the prospect of Jacob finding love.
“She’s called Amanda. Riley, you would love her. She works at my local bookstore. She’s got long dark blonde hair and brown eyes. She’s beautiful.”
“That’s so sweet! How long have you been seeing her?”
“I only got up the courage to ask her out a few weeks ago, she said yes.”
I smiled triumphantly at his success.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*
I still didn’t get why Shannon insisted why we had to come to this high end place to eat. I just wanted another night in front of the TV with some popcorn. It had been a couple of days since I had seen or talked to Riley. Our last fight was a big one, but there was no way I was backing down on this one. I always seemed to be the one apologising.

We took our seats and began looking through the menu. Shannon was weirdly chatty tonight. He kept going on about the new tour and whether there would be any hot women. But my mind was on only one woman. I had glanced up from my menu when I thought I heard a familiar tinkling laugh; the one that gets my mind racing. And that’s when I saw it. Riley was having dinner with that guy. She had finally told me about her date with a guy called Jacob about a month after we had that huge fight about it. Even from where I was sat, I could tell it was him from the photo that Riley had showed me.

So she was on a date with him again. That should be good right? I mean, I wanted her to be happy, to not be surrounded by paparazzi and be able to live a normal, healthy life.
Then why did I want more than anything to rip this guy’s face off and take Riley home and tear that frail looking purple dress off her beautiful body?

*Regular P.O.V.*
“Wow, he looks murderous.” Jacob giggled, seemingly unintimidated by Jared’s glare.
I laughed along at his genial smile. After telling me all about Amanda, I had almost completely forgotten about Jacob saying that Jared and I were in love. It was easy to get along with Jacob, he was quick-witted and sharp-tongued. Before I knew it we were finishing our after dinner coffee and leaving the restaurant.

“I’ll get your coat.” Jacob offered, making his way over to the cloak room.
I stood there quietly for a few moments before he returned with our possessions.
“Wow, I caught a glimpse of Jared as I was making my way back, I thought he was going jump out of his chair and come kidnap you.”
“Sure sure.” I waved off his comment, leading him out of the building.
“So thanks again for tonight. Even though Shannon’s plan was stupid, it was nice to catch up.” I said, giving Jacob a hug.

“Likewise, although I think his plan really worked, let me know how it goes.” He said before reaching for his car keys.
“I’ll let you know how it fails.” I laughed, grabbing my own car keys from my bag.
“Bye, Riles.”
“Bye, Jake.”
I popped open my car door and made my way home, ignoring the buzzing of my phone.
I knew it could only be one person.