The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 5

*Regular P.O.V.*

It was finally the end of the day. Most of the parents had taken home their hyped up on sugar kids; only the ones who were helping out today were still around, taking down their stalls. All of my own kids had packed up in record time and gone home. The only one left was Poppy; she had insisted that she help me take everything down, the little angel. This left her uncle’s having to wait for her in some spare seats underneath a big oak tree watching the two of us work.
When we finally got everything away, Poppy bounded over to her two guardians and collected Mrs. Trixie-Bear from Jared’s safe hands. Just as I was picking up the last box to put in the back of my car, all three of them came over.

“Here, I got that.” Jared came forward and wrapped his arms under the box, pulling it away from me and continued along the same path I was taking to my car, so I followed.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

“Not a problem.”

“I just wanted to say thanks, for looking after Poppy today.” Tomo interjected, holding his hand out.

“It was a pleasure, although I must say it was more Poppy looking after me rather than the other way around.” I laughed, taking his hand and shaking it appreciatively.

“I had fun with you Miss Dawson.” Poppy piped up.

“And I had the best helper in the whole world.” I said, giving the little girl a hug, she just giggled.

“Well, this is me.” I said, as we reached my car. I unlocked the doors, opened the trunk and held my arms out for the box Jared had been silently carrying.

He placed the box in my arms and I in turn pushed it into the trunk. When it was safely in and the door closed, I turned around to face the two men who were still stood there.

“Well, it was lovely to meet you.” I said to Jared, holding my hand out.

“It was an honour to meet Poppy’s favourite teacher.” He replied and took my hand; but instead of shaking it he leant down and gave it the tiniest kiss. My heart skipped several beats; I could feel the heat running to my cheeks.

“And it was a pleasure to see you again Tomo.” I turned toward him, making sure that our hands actually shook.

“You too.” He smiled.

“And you little miss, I’ll see you on Monday.” I addressed Poppy, who nodded her head eagerly in affirmation.

With one last wave goodbye, I opened the driver’s door and slipped into my car while the trio returned to their own.

Phew.

Flushed cheeks? Check. Racing heart? Check. Clammy palms? Check. Not able to get a certain blue eyed, bleach blonde male out of my mind? Double check.

Now all I had to do was make it through the ten minute journey home, shut the curtains, lock the door, play every 30 Seconds To Mars track there is and jump around squealing like a fan girl.

I’m not sure if I could last the whole ten minutes, might have to pop in the This Is War CD and begin fan girl screaming in the car.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

Phew.

Even though I couldn’t physically see her anymore, she was very prominently at the forefront of my mind. The whole car journey to Ivana’s house was a blur to me as I sat in the passenger seat next to Tomo. I barely heard a word of what Poppy was talking about in the back seat. All I could hear was her soft laugh, all I could think about was her smile, and how soft and warm her hand felt against my lips.

When we reached our destination, Poppy jumped out of the car to find her mother and tell her all about the fair. She couldn’t be there herself because of work commitments. Tomo and I followed the sounds of her talking to her mother.

As we entered the kitchen, we saw Poppy sat on her mother’s knee by the dining table, proudly showing her the purple teddy bear that I won for her.

“So I hear Jared met Miss Dawson today.” Ivana directed her statement towards Tomo.

“Yeah, and he’s been off in La-la land ever since.” Tomo laughed, his sister joining in.

“Yes, I thought he might get quite taken with her.” She replied.

I had to agree, something drew me to her that I’d never felt from any other woman before.