The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 6

*Regular P.O.V.*

The rest of my weekend seemed to go by in a bit of a blur. All I could think about was when Jared kissed my hand. Every time I recalled the sensation, the butterflies in my stomach flew around as if they were on crack.
I had to get over this, I mean, how likely was it that I’d ever see him again? He was one of my student’s mother’s brother’s friends; not exactly the person who would be picking Poppy up from school.
That didn’t stop me from hoping though, did it?

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

I had a plan. Which, to be honest, I’d been formulating since I first set eyes on Riley. Because I knew that there wasn’t much chance for me to see her outside of the school because I didn’t know whereabouts she lived, so I couldn’t ‘bump’ into her by accident. So I’d have to go to the school to see her again. And I needed some form of excuse to go to the school. And now I had it.

I dialled the number into my Blackberry and placed it next to my ear, listening to it ring until it was picked up by a female voice.

“Hey Ivana, its Jared.”

“Hey Jared, how’s things?”

“They’re good thanks. Listen, I was just wondering if it would be okay if I picked Poppy up from school on Monday. I was thinking about taking her out for ice cream.”

“Yeah that sounds great. That actually works out really well cause I’ve got to work late on Monday, I was just going to put her in the after school day care, but this is better. I’ll call the school on Monday morning to let them know you’re picking her up.”

“OK cool. Thanks Ivana.”

“Thank you Jared. Plus, it’s a very good excuse to see Miss Dawson again isn’t it?” She said knowingly.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Of course not Jay. OK, well I’ll see you Monday evening then.”

“Yeah, see you then. And I’ll try not to spoil your daughter with ice cream too much.” I laughed.
After hanging up I smiled to myself. The plan was in place.

*Regular P.O.V.*

Monday’s were never my favourite days, they were just too much effort. I was always glad when they were over.

The final bell and the kids began to pack their bags.

“OK guys, so I need that spelling done for Wednesday, OK?” I reminded my class of their homework.

They all lined up by the door by the door, waiting for me to lead them out to the car park where their rides home were waiting.

Within ten minutes the majority of my class had left with their parents or guardians. All except Poppy and a little boy called Tim.

“Who’s coming to pick you up Tim?” I asked the little boy at my side.

“My dad.” He said quietly, looking around for a familiar car.

“There he is.” He pointed at a red Audi TT that just came through the gates. It went around the car park and pulled up next to the curb where we were stood.

“Hello again Miss Dawson.” A creepy voice came from an equally creepy man as he stepped out of the car.

“Hello Mr. Johnson.” I forced a small smile, I had to be polite to parents, they paid my salary.

“How’ve you been?” He smiled towards me, taking my hand and shaking it for a little too long, gripping my hand a little too hard.

“Fine, thank you.” I managed to say.

“Care to come for a cup of coffee?” He asked, trying to guide me to his car, where his son had bounded to.

“Thank you, but I can’t, I have to wait with Poppy for her ride.” I said, taking a few steps away from the man and taking Poppy’s hand in my own.

“Another time then.” Mr. Johnson conceded, sliming his way back into his car.

“Mmm.” I mumbled non-committedly.

As soon as he drove off I let out a sigh of relief, not noticing the dark BMW which had pulled into park right in front of Poppy and me.

“Hello again Miss Dawson.” A voice emerged from the car, its owner following it; reflecting the exact words I heard a few minutes ago which caused revulsion. This voice made the words gorgeous and cause excitement.

“H-hello.” I said in a surprised tone. This was the last person I expected to see.

“Uncle Jay” Poppy screamed in delight.

“Hey kid.” Jared smiled, picking up Poppy and swinging her around. “Guess what.”

“What?” She asked.

“I called your mom and she said I could come pick you up and take you for ice cream!”

“Yay!” Poppy shrieked.

“Go, on, get your stuff in the car.” He laughed, setting her on the ground again.

As she scampered over to the car, Jared straightened out and looked straight at me.

“So I realised over the weekend, we didn’t actually get properly introduced. I know I told you my name was Jay, but my full name is Jared. Jared Leto.” He smiled, offering his hand.

“I kind of already knew. I like your band.” I said quietly, shaking his hand (we do a lot of hand shaking don’t we?) “And I know you know me as Miss Dawson; my full name is Riley Dawson.”

“I kind of already knew that.” He repeated my own words. “I asked Tomo.” He laughed.

“So we both knew each other’s names but didn’t know the other knew?” I said smiling.

“I guess so.”

We had stopped shaking, but our hands were still connected, holding each other. We seemed to realise this at the same time, and let them separate and fall to our sides.

“Well, it was nice to see you again Mr. Leto.” I said.

“Please, no Mr. Leto, too much formality. It’s Jared.” He assured me.

“Well then Jared, it was nice to see you again.” There was a smile on my face, turning away to get back to my classroom to gather my things and go home.

“Wait. Would you like to get coffee sometime?” He asked; he seemed also nervous.

A famous rock star seemed nervous about asking a school teacher for coffee.

“Um, yeah sure. But I’m not free until the weekend.” I agreed softly, my insides churning with excitement and disbelief.

“That’s fine by me. Here, this is my number, text me so I’ve got yours and we’ll make plans.” He stepped forward with a pen, writing a series of numbers along the back of my hand.

“Sounds good.” I almost whispered, I felt if I tried speaking any louder I would scream with excitement.

I turned away and wound my way back to my classroom where I slowly sank to the floor, my legs finally gave out. Did that actually just happen? I looked down at my hand, reading the numbers, under which was a ‘J’, followed by two x’s.

I guess that answers my question.

This weekend couldn’t come quickly enough.