The Beating of Our Hearts

The Beating of Our Hearts - 8

*Regular P.O.V.*

-Saturday Morning-

I had no clue what to wear. And no clue what time he was coming to pick me up. Was it going to be casual? Was it going to be expensive? I was stressing out so much; I was going to be getting coffee with none other than Jared Leto at some point today. Just the two of us, together.
I had to sit down and take a few deep breaths to calm my racing heart. It was only just 9am and I was already freaking out.

To try and take my mind off this afternoon, I sat at the table and starting marking some of the homework that the kids handed in yesterday. It wasn’t that difficult, some spelling and punctuation work; hardly something that required my full attention. I was barely halfway through the pile of papers before I gave up; my mind was wandering to today’s events every 30 seconds (to mars. Haha! I made a joke. Oh god I’m going hysterical).

Since I couldn’t keep my mind on anything else, I decided to give in and go take a shower, knowing it would relax me and kill some time. I stayed under the soothing hot water until it ran cold, making sure every inch of me was clean and smelling of vanilla.
After stepping out of the shower and into my bedroom, I started to dry and style my hair; which basically consists of blow drying and a bit of hair spray.

Even with all this done it was only 11am. But my next task would take up a lot of time. So I went and switched on my iPod speakers, and while listening to some Delphic I walked over to my wardrobe to try and decide what to wear. It was going to be a nice warm day so a short sleeved shirt, I thought to myself as a pulled out a few probable candidates. And perhaps a pair of denim shorts, but with a pair of tights so I wasn’t showing too much off, I reasoned while I pulled out my favourite pair of old worn denim shorts. Now to decide on the shirt and tights.

I hadn’t a clue. It had to be something simple, yet could be pulled off in a smarter place in case it wasn’t casual. But not look out of place somewhere more low key. This was going to be hard.
After 30 minutes of pairing up different shirts and tights with my shorts, I decided on the black masquerade shirt and the dark purple zebra print tights. That would work somewhere posh right? Screw it, I was wearing it whatever happened, I didn’t care what anyone else thought; except, maybe Jared.

Now that I had that sorted and on, I started on makeup. Which usually only took about five minutes anyway; some powder, eyeliner, mascara and lip balm.
There, I was all ready. It was 12 now. I went into the living room and switched on the TV. I was very early in getting ready, so I settled in and watched re-runs of friends, feeling slightly calmer that I was completely ready now.

*Jared’s P.O.V.*

-1pm-

I couldn’t wait any longer. I had been up since the crack of dawn waiting for when it would be acceptably afternoon so that I could see Riley. I hadn’t told Tomo or Shannon that I was going to see Riley. Shannon, who hadn’t met her yet, would just tease me or something. Tomo would probably issue more warnings. I wanted to get to know her better before I let them know, I had to make sure that it wasn’t just her looks that I liked, but her whole personality as well.
So here I was, outside her apartment building, looking up, wondering which window was hers. I saw someone coming out of the front door, so I dashed forward, catching the door before it closed and stepping into the foyer. I looked down at my Blackberry to consult with the text Riley had sent me that contained her address. I matched the apartment number to the post boxes and discovered her apartment was on the second floor.

I took to the stairs, walking up the flights until I came to the correct floor, and I appeared in a corridor next to number six. Riley’s was number eight. I turned down the hall and came across door number seven, I was getting close. Then I was there; in front of her door.
Suddenly I was too nervous to knock on the door. What is she had forgotten? Was I wearing appropriate clothing? What if she had changed her mind?
I shook my head as if to shake the thoughts out of my ear, I took a deep breath to calm my sudden nerves and raised my hand. I rapped my knuckles against the wood and took a step back.

What if this was the wrong apartment? No, stop it, everything was fine, she would open the door in a second looking gorgeous.

And she did. Nervously, the door slowly opened and Riley appeared, a smile breaking through when she saw me. That smile made me relax instantly; she was happy to see me.

*Riley’s P.O.V.*

He looked even more gorgeous than I remembered.

“Hey.” I said, nervously tucking some hair behind my ear.

“Hey back.” He answered. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah. Let me just get my shoes and bag. Come on in.” I said, opening the door further and turning to get my things from the living room.

“You got a nice place here.” I could hear Jared comment from somewhere near the kitchen.

“Thanks, it’s not bad.” I replied as a slipped my shoes on and put my bag on my shoulder.

“OK, let’s go.” I smiled as I found Jared looking through my fridge for some odd reason.
He stood up and closed my fridge.

“Then go we shall.” He smiled and offered me his arm.

I slid my arm through his and he led me out of the door and down the stairs towards his car.

“So do I get to know where we’re going yet?” I asked.

“Nope, you’re just going to have to wait until we get there.” Jared answered with a mischievous smile.