When Life Doesn't Give You Enough Cards to Play the Game, You Deal

Chapter 10

Once in my room, I came to the conclusion that relaxation was my best option and the best way I figured I could do that was to take a shower. So I did.

I slipped into the bathroom down the hall and turned the water until it was borer-line too hot. I undressed and stepped into the shower, letting the hot spray calm me, my worries going right down the drain with it.

I still used Chance’s shampoo because I didn’t see the point of buying any of my own. I was only going to be here a little while longer. The scent of it filled the steaming shower and I felt myself relax, massaging my scalp.

I heard a knock on the door and then my name.

“Are you in there?” Chance asked.

“Go away.” I said loudly so he’d be able to hear.

“I made everyone leave.” He added before I heard what I assumed was him walking down the stairs.

My shoulders slumped as I rinsed myself. How could I cause so much trouble? I had to get out of here as soon as I could. I’d have to get a job.

I shuddered at the mere thought of customer service. That was definitely out. Dealing with people all day long? Angry ones, overly-happy ones, dangerously idiotic ones, and ones that have screaming children that make you want to rip your hair out? No thanks.

I stepped out of the shower, grabbing the towel I’d hung on the door before getting in, and wrapped myself with it securely.

Once I opened the door, I peeked my heard out, making sure neither Jack nor Chance were walking by. Once I’d decided the coast was clear, I whipped the door open all the way and scurried across the hall to my room. Or at least I tried. My slightly wet foot slipped on the wooden floor and I fell face first, smashing my nose into the hard floor. I got up quickly, afraid someone would come up to check if everything was okay and see something no one but me and my mother had seen before.

I slid into my own room as stealthily as I could so as not to cause any more trouble. I slipped into a pair of grey sweats and a red long sleeved top.

I made a silent promise to myself to look for a job tomorrow. I had to get out of here.

Laying down in bed, I pulled the covers over myself, not caring that my wet hair was soaking the pillow. Today’s events shone behind my heavy lids.

Remembering the spontaneous crush of Jared’s lips brought a tingling to my own. Why had I pushed him away when it felt so good? I guess I was just scared.

It wasn’t long before I fell into a confused sleep, soon forgetting all the unanswered questions that popped into my head.

***

The next morning, I dragged myself out of bed, not bothering to fix rat’s nest that was my hair. I made a mental note to myself to never go to bed with wet hair again unless I was attending something 80’s themed the next day.

I sleepily made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen where the scent of home cooked breakfast drifted pleasantly up my nose.

“G’morning, Jack. Chance.” I greeted, sitting down. My stomach growled as Jack placed a plate of homemade waffles in front of me. I didn’t bother putting anything on it; I just pick it up and ate it.

“We had some left over batter from yesterday.” Chance said before whispering, “I got all of it off the walls before my dad got home.” He nudged me under the table with a smile.

I whispered a quick thanks before resuming the consumption of my delicious waffles.

“Jared wants to come over today. You know, to apologize.” Chance told me, mouth full.

“Apologize?” I echoed.

“You know, for kissing you.” He explained, an eyebrow raised at my confusion.

“I uh…,” I trailed off, not knowing exactly what to say. I settled for, “When?” Chance didn’t need to know anything. I’d just tell Jared that it was fine and that I actually liked it.

“In like 5 minutes.” He replied, smiling up at my curly mess of hair, knowing that it’d take a bit for me to get ready.

I sighed before downing the rest of my breakfast and putting my plate in the sink. I shuffled up to my room, throwing on a pair of skinny jeans and my new, pink, criss-crossy top that Melonie bought me.

By the time I was done fixing my hair, I heard the doorbell ring. Jared.

I rushed down the stairs, and apparently he was coming up. I ran straight into his chest. Man, I thought, I really need to stop doing that to people.

I stepped back quickly, my face heating.

“Hi.” He said awkwardly.

“Hey.” I replied, cupping my elbow.

“Look, about yesterday-,”

“It’s fine.” I chirped, a smile claiming my lips.

“I didn’t mean to. I couldn’t help myself.” He explained. “It was like that cliché scene in all romance movies where the guy flings water, or in our case, pancake batter. And-,”

“I said it’s fine.” I cut him off again. “I…I kind of liked it.” I admitted.

He looked shocked for a split second before a smirk made it’s way onto his full lips. “I knew I could make the street girl fall for me.” He chuckled.

“Who said anything about falling for you?” I snorted. “I just said I liked the kiss.”

“Then how about we go on a date?” He suggested. “I’ll bet I can make you fall for me.”

“Sure.” I replied.

Chance’s POV:

I sat in the living room with the TV muted; I could hear everything.

“Who said anything about falling for you?” She snorted. I fist pumped at the rejection. “I just said I liked the kiss.”

“Then how about we go on a date?” He suggested. “I’ll bet I can make you fall for me.” I chuckled to myself just thinking about the look on his face when he got rejected again. Kat was mine.

“Sure.” She replied, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

I gripped the remote I hadn’t realized I was holding, harder.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for my update. I've been sick. And sleeping. A lot. But please forgive me? And maybe leave a comment letting us know how you're liking the story so far? And maybe subscribe to show your support?

Team Chance, or team Jared?

~Kylie <3