Status: One-shot

The Meeting

Courage

She sat at the gazebo typing on her laptop. Her phone rang. She picked it up. This was the last person she expected to call her.

“Hello.” She said masking her shock.

“Hi, how are you?”

“I’m fine. How are you?” She said trying to be modest.

“I’m good. Can we meet tomorrow, the usual place?”

This was very interesting. This person never asked to meet her. It was always her making the suggestion. “Okay, what time?”

“Is five good for you?”

“Yeah sure.”

“See you then.”

She placed the phone on the wooden table and sighed. What could it possibly be that he wanted to meet with her for? He hadn’t called her in three months! She had decided she would stop calling because he obviously never has the time for her. It was always excuses.

Image


It was raining as she walked through the town. She was nervous, but whatever was ahead of her she was prepared to take it head on. She emptied herself of the pain caused over the last four years. It was too much a waste of time to keep holding on to something that would never get better. She entered their usual restaurant and headed up the stairs and through the door. She looked around and took a seat near the door. Of course he wasn’t here yet – he’s always late.

“Why am I not surprised?” She said to herself. Looking at her watch she saw that it was eight minutes past five. She drummed her fingers on the table and thought of why she had to meet this person. She was once so in love with him. Unfortunately, the relationship he had before he was with her scarred him. She didn’t exactly know why he always had a wall put up but it frustrated her and made it harder for her to reach out to him. She gave so much and got little or nothing in return, but because she loved him she had hope that one day, one day her efforts would be rewarded. Yeah right! This is the real world not a fairytale.
The door opened. She turned and looked. There he was looking for her. When he saw her, he immediately headed in her direction. He took his time and sat down directly in front of her.

“Hi.” He said with a small smile.

She nodded.

“I asked you to come here because…I haven’t seen you in five months.” He said happily.
She stared at him in disbelief. “Is that really your reason?”

“Yes.” He said expecting her to believe him.

“I don’t believe you. What’s the real reason?” She said determined.

He looked away for awhile and returned his gaze. He creased his forehead in confusion. “Why haven’t you been calling as often as you used to?”

She immediately laughed. “Are you seriously asking me that? Hm, I thought the reason was obvious.”

He frowned and placed his arms on the table. “I really don’t know the reason.”

“Well then,” she said proudly, “you were always busy. You didn’t have time for me. So why should I keep contacting you when you have absolutely no time for me? E-mail is free moron, but not even that crossed your mind I bet.”

He had no words to respond to that and he knew she was telling the truth. “Well, that is true, but I still did call you and e-mail you.”

“Dude!” She said in rage. “You only called when I didn’t call because it looked bad that you hadn’t spoken to me in months! You didn’t even answer most of the e-mails I sent you! I seriously don’t know why I fell in love with you in the first place.”

Here it is. He reminded her of all the things they had and it enraged her. After trying her best to suppress all of the pain he caused her he was opening an old wound. And there he was, sitting across from her calm as usual. This isn’t fair to her. He always made her look like the antagonist.

He smiled. “I still love you. In the next year I’ll be out of school and we can finally start our life together, again.”

She always dreamed of having a future with him. But what’s the point now? She calmed herself, sat back in her seat and stared at him assertively. “You haven’t figured it out have you?”

He looked at her in question. “Figured what out?”

She wore a sardonic smile. “I’m sick of you. There is no love left inside of me for you. Why would I really want to have a future with someone like you? Thanks for wasting the last four years of my life! I don’t get how you can be so indifferent to someone who poured out so much of their love into you. You really don’t know the pain you’ve caused me. Right now, you’re wasting my time again. This is all I have to say to you. I don’t want to see you again. I don’t want you in my life anymore. You’re worthless to me now. The months I’ve spent without contacting you showed me that my life really is a lot better without you.”

He stared at her in shock, unable to speak. She stood up and he looked at her.

“Good-bye.” She said. With that she walked out the door. She felt good to have gotten that off her chest. Having someone like that in her life was doing nothing but eating her away. He finally felt the blow of her emotions bottled up for so long. He hadn’t seen it coming…at all.

She opened her umbrella and stepped out in the crowd in the pouring rain. “Why not start living outside yourself?”
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think? Please leave a comment.