International Friendly

Chapter Five.

London, England
9:03 am


The phone rang loudly on her bedside table. She barely opened her eyes and snatched the phone by the instinct that she picked up from waking up at 7 for work. She looked at the screen, wondering who the hell would call her so early.

Sergio.

Maria was slightly confused, but answered, of course. "Hello?" She croaked.

"Maria? It's me. Hey, I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Sergio was polite as ever.

"Um, yeah, but it's okay."

There was slight pause. It was a short one, but long enough for Sergio to realize that his call wasn't exactly too welcome. "Hey, if you want I can call you later."

"No, no, it's okay. Really," assured Maria. She never liked to oppose him, it just made her feel cruel. Sergio was too nice of a guy for that.

"Oh, well, I just called because I was wondering why you didn't return my calls last night."

Shit. "Oh damn, I had my phone off because I went out and I came home late so I just went straight to bed and put my phone to charge."

"Where'd you go?" Sergio asked.

Maria realized she spilled information she never shared with Segio. He knew she and Fernando were friends, but she never mentioned going to any of his games. She kept that info to herself.

"Yeah, I did. I just went with some friends and I forgot my phone in the apartment so I didn't know you called me."

"Oh, haha," Sergio laughed, "I thought maybe, you know, you were mad or something."

"Why would I be mad?" She inquired with a chuckle.

"The distance," Sergio said softly, "We tend to get a bit disconnected when ever we separate."

"Oh, baby!" Maria says in protest. "I don't mean it. It's just that when I get to visit its amazing, and then I come back here and it dissolves, so I guess I get a bit sad, but I wouldn't be mad. I know it's not your fault you're in Spain."

"And I know you want to live in London, for, um, your reasons." Sergio replied with reassurance.

"Yeah," she said unevenly, remembering how she never explained to him why she wanted to move there, "so don't ever think I blame you or anything."

He laughs lightly, "Yeah the distance is just..."

"Just," Maria says, unable to finish the sentence.

A silence creeps in, and Sergio says abruptly. "Maria, have you ever thought about moving back here? To Spain? I mean, why don't you come with me?"

She's taken back. "What? Back to Spain? I-I-"

"It's okay," Sergio says, "I'm sorry I said that it's just...."

"I'm sorry," she whispers. "But I don't want to move in with you... not yet." She feels so horrible.

"No," he says, "I'm the one who's sorry. I, I shouldn't have mentioned it. The sudden distance from you makes me uneasy. I'm sorry, I'm just saying stupid things. I'm stupid."

"No, you're not stupid. And besides, I don't want to because I've only been in London for a year, and I would like to stay even for a little bit longer."

"Hey, it's okay. I'm sorry for moving things too fast."

"Dammit Sergio, it's not that, I love you."

Oh, Maria thought, realized too late the words that spilled from her lips. Did she mean it? Does she actually love Sergio Ramos? She didn't know, but couldn't take those words back.

Sergio is quiet, taken back from her phrase. He doesn't know what to say.

Maria, dying of embarrassment and shame on the other side of the line, feels like the stupid one this time. "I shouldn't have said that."

"It's-It's okay," Sergio says, stumbling over his words, "I love you too."

Maria, feels like she led him on. The words spilled, uncontrollably, and now she's made him say those words. But his have meaning, and hers didn't. Fuck.

"I do," Sergio continues, saying Maria fro her response, "I do, it's just that I thought maybe we'd say those words during a different time." He laughs, and she joins in, warming the moment.

Hearing his laugh brings her doubts down. Maybe she could one day love him. Not now, but maybe one day.

"I love you Maria," Sergio says once more.

She felt a sting up nausea, almost. She can't those words. She just can't. But she can't break his heart. She bites her tongue. "I love you too."

Sergio sighs and chuckles. He totally bought it.

Sergio said, "I'm so glad I'm with you Maria. You're amazing. But you've got to go eat breakfast. And I've got early practice. I'll see you soon, love. Bye."

"Bye."

Maria held the phone with hands stung with regret. She's digging her own grave, she thought, with Sergio.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's forever I knowww. Like two, three weeks. Sorry, I've had some major crap lately. Well, just letting ya guys know I'm going to be posting a new chapter each week! For all my stories :) Thanks!