‹ Prequel: Burn
Sequel: The Day You Went Away
Status: Done

A Letter A Day

A Letter A Day

Annie smiled as she arose from her bed. She had a nice sleep for once. She looked at the clock and saw that it was a little bit after 11. She got up and changed into some shorts and a tank top. She slipped on some flip flops. After doing her hair and makeup, she walked down the stairs.

Her pit-bull puppy Sam was on his side on the rug in the living room. Annie smiled at the puppy with adoring eyes.

“Are you ready to go outside, baby?” She cooed to the 7 month old dog. He yipped and wagged his tail. Annie laughed softly and flipped on the TV. It was always on the same channel. The news. She refused to leave it on any other channel until he came home for good.

Josh had been in Afghanistan for a good year and a half. Annie always feared that one day she wouldn’t get her letter. The day she stopped getting letters meant Josh was dead. He promised her that every day he would make sure a letter got to her.

He had been good on his promise and every day when Annie when to get the mail, her letter was waiting for her.

Annie sighed as she saw a scene of soldiers fighting. She shook her head and walked outside. She walked down the road to the mailbox. Before opening the box though, she took a deep breath.

She opened the mailbox and grabbed the mail inside. She sifted through the few bills and a magazine. When she saw the letter, she breathed deeply. She was very relieved. Annie yelled for Sam and they walked back into the house.

Annie opened up the letter and smiled softly at her fiancé’s words.

My dear, sweet Annie,
It’s getting worse with each passing day over here. All around me there is death, suffering, pain, and hatred. When I want so badly to just give up and quit fighting, I think of your beautiful face. I love you with everything in me, Annie.

If it wasn’t for you, I’d stop helping here. I know that must seem so selfish of me, but I can’t help it. When I imagine the future, I see us with our children. One day I plan to make you Mrs. Josh Daniels. I promise you the next leave I have, we are getting married. I’m tired of waiting to make it official.

Always remember that you are my whole world. I love you with everything in me and more. I hope Sam is being good and making you feel safe at night. Soon it’ll be me making you feel safe as I hold you in my arms.

I love you baby, so very much.

Love,

Josh


Annie wiped away a tear that started to slide its way down her cheek. She sniffed and placed the letter back into the envelope. Annie walked up the stairs and into her room. She set it with the other letters she had. Annie smiled softly.

Five months later

Annie placed the ring on Josh’s finger and said,

“With this ring, I thee wed.” Josh mouthed to her,

‘I love you.’ Annie smiled with tears in her blue eyes and mouthed back,

‘I love you too.’ Josh then placed the ring on Annie’s finger and in a strong voice stated,

“With this ring, I thee wed.” Annie had tears coming faster now.

The minister smiled at the soldier and his bride and he said,

“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride.” Josh had some tears in his eyes and smiled as he kissed his new wife. There was applause as their family and close friends stood.

“I love you, Mrs. Daniels.” Josh told Annie. She smiled and said,
“I love you too, Mr. Daniels.” They walked out together hand in hand. They were the happiest they could be. If they only knew it wouldn’t last, that all good things come to an end.

5 months later…

Annie sighed as she woke up. The baby was pushing down on her bladder again resulting in her having to pee. Again. Annie did her business and walked slowly down the stairs. Sam was sitting at the door, whining.

Annie laughed and said,

“I’m coming, Sam.” He barked happily. Annie laughed and let Sam out. She went to the mailbox and took a deep breath as she did every time she got the mail. She reached into the mailbox and pulled the mail out.

Some bills, a magazine, a dental appointment reminder. No letter. Annie felt her heart stop. She felt cold all of a sudden even though it was June and she lived in California. She swallowed and looked at the mail again.

There had to be a mistake! Josh never forgot to send a letter. The post office had to of made a mistake. Annie called out for Sam and they went back into the large house.

The phone was ringing as Annie got inside. It stopped ringing and the answering machine started to play the message.

“You’ve reached the Daniels. We’re not in or available at the moment so please leave a message.” Annie sat down on the couch and waited for the caller to leave a message.

“Mrs. Daniels, this is First Sergeant Green. I’m afraid I have some sad news for you. Your husband Josh Daniels was killed in battle earlier today. I’m so very sorry for your loss. If you could give me a call we can work the details of sending his body home for a funeral. Again, I am terribly sorry about your loss, ma’am. This has hit everyone here pretty hard. Give us a call when you’re ready.”

I felt myself start to shake. This couldn’t be happening. Not now when I was pregnant! I started to sob. Sam whimpered and nudged my hand. I let him jump up on the couch with me. I hugged the dog close to me as I cried. I would no longer receive a letter a day.

***

I watched the news with no expression. I felt like nothing made any sense anymore. I walked upstairs and got into one of Josh’s shirts. His scent was still on it. This would be my life now. No husband. Raising a child on my own. I had to be strong for my baby. For our baby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment? ^_^