One of the Boys

The week before

I hate dances and homecoming and all this stuff. Everyone is running around asking girls in the most corny way possible, and the more guys ask the more girls who haven't panic. That brings me to the situation I'm in right now. It's Wednesday, at lunch and I'm sitting in the girls bathroom saying, "De, please come out." I couldn't even understand what she was saying through all her crying. Truth is I wasn't even sure if she was saying anything. "De I'm hungry, can't we go eat."

"No," she yelled, "I don't want to see him." I banged my head against the dirty wall behind me, I was so tired of this. "I hate cheerleaders, I hate them so much."

"Excuse me," some girl in a short skirt turned toward me and the blubbering stall next to me.

"Sorry," I said, "she's going through an emotional time."

"I am not," De yelled out of the bathroom. I put my head in my hands, this is so stupid. I am so not going to sit in here all lunch. She wouldn't even notice that I'm gone she's crying so loud, besides I am so hungry.

I made my way to the cafeteria, stopping of course at a vending machine for some Cheetos, but otherwise I was determined to get there quickly. I walked over to our usual table and said, "alright everyone leave for a second." Everyone started moving and then I pointed to Tyler, "not you." He sat back down and I slid in across from him and gave him an accusing angry face.

"So what's up Rea," he said confused.

"Are you stupid," I yelled.

"No," he said unsure, "what's going on." He was looking around.

"You've asked what three dumb slut cheerleaders to the dance," I asked and he nodded to confirm it, "and they've turned you down right," he nodded again, "then stop being stupid and ask the girl who's been dying for you to ask."

"Who," he said confused.

"It's so obvious," I said throwing my hands up in rage, "I mean she's right in front of you all the time."

"Umm okay," he said unsure and then cleared his throat, "Rea will you go to homecoming with me." I had a shocked face on for two seconds and he waved a hand in front of my face, "so what do you say."

"Not me dumb ass," I said trying to stay calm, "Deana, she likes you and you like her and she's been in the bathroom crying for the past two days and I am so sick of it." I let my head bang down on the table.

"She's been crying," he asked hesitantly.

My head shot up, "shit, please don't tell her I told you. I would seriously be like the worlds worst best friend ever."

"She likes me," he smirked.

"Duh," I nodded.

"When should I ask her," he looked at me lost.

I got up and grabbed my Cheetos, "I'll go try to get her out of the bathroom." With that I practically ran out of the cafeteria, of course when I got to the hall I slowed down. I started walking back to the bathroom I had grown accustomed to in the past two days. I pushed the door open and said, "De I think it's time you wipe off the tears and go give him a piece of your mind."

"Yeah," she stepped out of the bathroom stall and ran over to the sink to fix her face, "i am going to give him a piece of my mind, I am going to tell him he's a stupid jerk and he doesn't deserve someone as amazing as me."

"What if he asked you to the dance," I said and she looked up excited, "hypothetically speaking."

"I...I...I'd say it's too late," she said trying to stay strong. I didn't believe it for one second.

"Good for you honey," I said pushing her out the door, "now you get out there and I am right behind you." I was following her down the hall and when I went to turn the corner she pushed me back.

"What," I said.

"Shhh," De said and then pointed to the hall, "they want to be alone." So like normal curious girls we poked our heads to see what was going on. Chris and Brittney Evens (i.e. cheer captain) were talking.

"I guess I could agree to that," Brittney smirked, "but you have to invite me like a real date would."

"Fine," he mumbled, "will you go to homecoming with me."

She made a face, "I would have liked a little more feeling, but okay." She said the okay really perky like.

"That was weird," De said.

I rolled my eyes, "yeah and totally cliche, football captain and cheer leading captain." I stuck my tongue out in disgust and De started smiling at me. "What?"

"Bs he isn't your type," she whispered.

"What," I shook my head.

"Let's forget the fact that that invite was extremely weird and discuss the fact that you like Chris Mills," she smiled. I laughed at the very thought and she shook her head, "oh my God you so do."

"I do not," I said trying to stop my laughter, "I don't even know what you're getting at."

"Fine, live in denial, but I know the truth," De said starting to walk forward, "now lets go put that jerk in his place." I just laughed.