One of the Boys

Making my own rules

The next day I begged Deana to watch the football practice with me, I can be a little obsessive. It's my sport what can I say. I don't think it's healthy, but I basically stalk my own team to learn all their plays in my head so I know what goes wrong in the games. Yes some girls stalk guys on facebook, but I stalk entire teams. Unfortunately Deana refused to watch, she said it would be boring, I wasn't about to sit in the bleachers alone so I decided I'd run the track.

I started jogging around the track and looking over at the practice studying our team. They needed me, they needed me so bad. I mean they were decent, but I could make them so much better. Offensively that is. I was jogging until this man in a track suit and whistle came over to me and said, "I'm sorry the track is only open to the cross country team till five."

"Great," I said, "I'm a transfer and I was wondering if I could try out."

"Oh," he said intrigued, "that sounds great, what's your name?"

"Reagan Tanner," I said.

"Well the team is stretching and then we'll run our standard 7K tempo run today," he said, "we'll see how you keep up and then we'll go from there." Boy was he in for a surprise, I settled for nothing less than excellence in everything I did and damn now I really had to run. I was a good runner, fast, I set multiple records in not only my school, but in the state of New York. I'm pretty legit, but who could really be happy just running, I didn't consider it a sport, I considered it conditioning, no real skill involved. This is how I kept in shape.

"Just don't fall to far behind," one girl said to me as we all got ready to start. I gave her a questioning look and then she continued, "they take everyone who can keep up, but if you fall too far behind they usually cut you."

"I'll keep that in mind," I said. The coach blew the whistle to start and I began at my slower pace, I was pacing myself. My slow pace would have made the team though, towards the middle I started picking up my pace getting to the front. And I finished in a full on sprint and the only person even competing to keep up with me was some guy. I was faster than a lot of guys I knew and didn't know.

"That was incredible," the coach said in disbelief, "I've never seen running like that in my years at this school, you made the team."

I smiled a weak smile, I didn't want to do cross country it wasn't my calling. "Thanks," I said, "but I think I need to talk it over with my uh parents before I commit myself to anything." He nodded his head and I just went back to change. I don't know why but something in me still had hope for football, I know I shouldn't it's impossible.

_______________________________________________________________________

"Why are you dragging me here," Deana sighed as we took our seat in the bleachers, "football is so boring."

I rolled my eyes, "don't you have any school spirit?" She looked at me blankly and crossed her arms before leaning back. It was a nice evening, not too cold.

"Oh look there's Tyler," Deana said pointing to one of the helmets. I looked down shocked because with all my stalking I didn't even realize a guy from our table played on the team. "He'll be ecstatic, he's been trying to get me to football game for the last two years."

"I didn't know he played," I said and she just shrugged.

"Really I thought you've been stalking the team the last few days," she said with an eyebrow raised and I shrugged. She looked at me and said, "what do you think of our boys coach Tanner."

I laughed slightly, "I'd have to say the word of the day is potential, defensively they are I'd say par. Offensively they could be good, the quarterback is surprisingly good, but it sucks because not a single one of his receivers can make a catch and their running game not too good."

"I don't know what any of that means," she said shaking her head trying not to laugh. I'll tell you I understand why De didn't want to watch this game, it was pathetic. 17 to 3.

"How does a team play two halves and only have three points," I said looking at the scoreboard.

"I don't know," De said smiling and looking off God knows where, "but I am so going to more football games, did you know that there were so many cute guys, look at that team over there it's like heaven."

"How can you think of boys at a moment like this," I said, "have you no school pride."

"The question is not how can I," she said and looked over, "it's how can you not, these guys are delicious Rea." Well I lost any attention from her I would get for the rest of the evening. I decided to slip down and take a walk, I wasn't into the cheerleaders half time show. I walked down and passed by the locker room, I only knew because I heard a lot of yelling. Then it hit me, if I just showed up and played with out them knowing I could help. Prove myself. It was genius. Not well thought out, but genius.

I hid while the team piled onto the field and then went into the locker room in search of extra gear and jerseys. Of course there was no guarantee that I would be able to find any of that, but luckily I did. I suited up, it took me a bit, but I was ready and I walked out to the field. The third quarter had already started. This was a good day though because soon enough there was a time out. I ran over to one of the receivers and told him I was in for him. I went to the huddle and told them that coach wanted us to do one of the newer plays in practice for me. "Man are you sure, we don't have it down," one guy said.

"Coach wants it," I said shrugging.

"Can you make the catch," Chris said looking at me.

I smiled, "in my sleep." He gave me an unsure look and then we lined up and it was time. I never thought this moment would come. I was on a football field, in a uniform playing in a game. The ball was hiked and I took off getting into position and I saw the ball in the air and I let it gently fall into my hands. Then I guarded it as I ran towards the goal line. Touchdown bitches.

"Dude that was awesome," some guy said practically jumping on me.

"Where did you come from," Chris said as he patted my back. I got ready to answer, but he cut me off, "doesn't matter as long as you keep catching like that." The rest of the game went well, we had caught up and if we got the next touchdown we won. "Good job guys, this was our best game in a while," Chris said in the huddle.

"Wait," I said, "are we giving up."

"Dude," someone said, "there's ten seconds on the clock and we are no where near the goal."

"Sounds like the makes for an amazing hail Mary throw," I said and looked at Chris, "how's the arm." If you wondered I've been talking in a deeper voice, I have a good guy impersonation not to worry.

"It's good."

"Alright just throw it as far as you can," I said, "and I'll do the rest." Once again I was given the unsure look. We lined up it came down to this, once Chris got the ball I took a full on sprint to the goal watching the ball soar above me and then diving to catch it in the goal. Touch down. The crowd jumped to their feet and the team jumped on me. The other team didn't take it so well. We high fived the other team and then went to our locker room and the team was so excited, and hyped.

"Well boys you did it," the coach said just as hyped, "after six years we finally beat our rivals." Rival game so quick that was odd. "And it looks like we got our self a new player, kid you are what this teams been waiting for." The coach gestured for me to come forward, I was in the back, I was still in my helmet. I was afraid it would all change if they found out I was a girl. All that work I just did gone, this was my dream I wanted it to last as long as I could.

"What's your name son," he said as I came to the front. Name. I was about to say it and then coach said, "take off your helmet."

"Reagan Tanner," I said as I took off the helmet and let my pony tail fall down. I took the clip off and let my bangs do the same. To say everyone was shocked was a bit of an understatement.

"Well, welcome to the team Reagan," coach said shaking my hand.

"Really," I said smiling big and he nodded. Best day of my life.

"Coach she's a girl," one guy stood up and a few others said yeah.

"A girl who kicked ass out there," I said to them.

"I think this girl proved herself worthy of a spot," coach said and I smiled a cocky smile, "now everyone hit the showers and get out of here." Happiest I've been in years, no cross country for me this year. I was beaming as I made my way across the hall to the girls locker room.

"Reagan can I have a word," coach said and I nodded following him into the office. "You have exceptional skill and I'd love to have you on the team, but I just want to make sure you know what you are in for." I looked at him confused and he sighed continuing, "this may bring about ridicule and teasing from peers, not to mention that not all the guys are going to take to it at first."

"If I wasn't ready for all that I wouldn't have pulled this stunt coach," I smiled.

He smiled, "alright, just have a physical by Monday and you can start." I smiled and went out the door, "oh and Reagan." I poked my head back in, "don't expect me to go easy on you."

"Wouldn't dream of it coach," I said. I knew there was a reason I always loved this place more than New York. I simply ask to try out in New York and it ends in riot, news, press, expulsion and the greatest change of my life. Thank you mom, for once you've done me good.