One of the Boys

Back to Normal

I woke up, dazed an confused, as expected after one has a night like that. I just lied there with my eyes open looking at the familiar ceiling, it wasn't my aunts house. No, taking me there even just a little tipsy would cause her to explode. I was at Deana's house and thankful. I could tell I was in the guestroom because not only was there this particular crown molding on the ceiling, but there was also this peculiar stain. De leaned over me and smiled, "she's awake."

"Are you okay," she jumped on me and hugged me, "we were so worried, did he hurt you, we weren't sure, but Hayden insisted rest would do."

"I'm not so much hurt," I sat up and looked around, "as embarrassed." It was just De, Tyler and Hayden sitting around the bed. They were by far my closest friends.

"No, no," Hayden jumped to my side, "you have nothing to be embarrassed about."

I looked around at them and slouched back crossing my arms, "how many of you did I cry in front of?" It was vulnerability that embarrassed me, not what happened, the kidnapping was somewhat out of my control. I felt my arm on my right side, I forgot I had rolled out of a moving vehicle.

"That's what you worry about," De hit me in the head, "you come up with a stupid plan and almost get yourself fucking killed, and you're embarrassed about crying."

I nodded, "yeah." Then I turned my body to her, "and you know that was not even close to my plan," then back to everyone, "so how many of you saw the waterworks, raise your hands, don't be afraid, I can take it."

"None of us," she rolled her eyes, "by the time we met up with Mills you already asleep."

"Mills," I looked to her shocked before the depressing memories of last night came back. I put my hand on my head and shook it, "god, now I owe that bastard." De looked down at me with an eyebrow raised and I just let out a confused, "what?"

She sighed, "boys, can I have a moment alone with her?" They looked at each other before leaving and De followed to close the door behind them. She then gave me a look of disappointment, "would you stop kidding yourself?" I was confused, to say the least. She rolled her eyes, "you like Mills, don't try to argue the fact, you do. And he obviously really cares for you, I mean Rae I don't think the boy got a wink of sleep last night." Once again confused. She laughed, "he's been in the other room."

I bit my lip, "I'm not kidding myself." I slid into a smile as I sat up, "you're kidding yourself, we're teammates, it's like we're brothers."

"You are hopeless," she said infuriated. Then it was like a light bulb went off, the mental kind, "He'd probably want to talk now that you're awake," she smiled a devious smile and took two steps toward the door, "I should really go get him."

"No," I said as she turned to the door.

"Why," she turned around slowly and crossed her arms, "is it because you love him and you can't face him."

"No," I shook my head, "it's because I'm fucking embarrassed you tart." She looked at me with an eyebrow raised and I just shrugged, "it was the first word that came to mind."

She nodded, "I'm doing it anyway." She was backing up to the door and smirked all the way out.

"You're a whore," I yelled my last words to her.

He slipped in the room and looked at me hesitantly and somewhat concerned. I was sitting up in the bed with my arms wrapped around my knees that were still covered by the blanket. He approached slowly as if I were a fucking deer he was hunting and I'd run if I heard him. I rose my eyebrow at him and he stopped, "De said you wanted to see me."

I laughed, "no, De wanted us to talk, I had no say in the matter."

He looked down and rubbed the back of his neck nervously, "oh."

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes, "but I guess a thank you is somewhat in order and an apology." He looked at me unsure and I rolled my eyes, "you know for ruining your night, I didn't mean for De to recruit you in my search party, and then you had to put up with me while I was crying." I put my head down and then laughed it off, "boy that must have been a disaster." I haven't a clue why I was talking so much, but I felt it was better than letting him talk for even a second.

He took a step towards me and then stopped himself, "it's cool, Tanner." Then he just left and I looked at the door like What The Fuck. I don't know what I expected, but that sure as hell was not it.

At least everything could return to normal.