One of the Boys

A solution

"The Fuck does he think he's doing," I sat on the phone with cheetos in my hand, Sex and the Ciity on tv and De on the other line. "I mean he likes me," I said confused, "who the fuck says that, and trying to butter me up saying I'm not the kind of girl you have feelings for." I huffed, "that sick fuck, we are officially putting him on my list."

"You still have that thing," De questioned from the other line. The list was something I started at the end of 5th grade and it started with one name. Quinn Peck, the bitch made my life a living hell. And from that day forward anyone on my bad side made the list. And if I really hated them they got the honor of being bolded. Quinn Peck, Evan Lay and Stacy Dosworth were the only three with that great honor thus far.

"Of course," I ate a cheeto, "how else do you expect me to keep track of all the people I hate?"

"Valid question," I visualized her nodding before continuing, "but not the point." She paused waiting for me to respond and when I didn't she ensued, "this bothers you."

I laughed at the very thought, "nothing bothers me."

"Except when things bother you," she said victoriously. Once again I huffed, the thought, it was just plain crazy. "Admit it bitch," she said smug, "you love making poor saps fall in love with you, but you don't want to be the hook up girl and only that."

"That is not what he meant," I said defensively.

"What did he mean then," I could see the smug expression and the raised eyebrow forming on her face and it made me sick.

"That I'm not fucking relationship material," I said, "that monogamy isn't really my thing, and you know what, he's kinda right."

"Yeah right," she said, "I'm calling your bull, you don't want that." She sighed, "no one really wants that, not in the long run at least, and even you sometimes hope for something real." I took another cheeto to my mouth as this was not making me feel better.

"Stop going all chick flick on me," I muttered in my most displeased tone.

"I will when you stop pretending to be indifferent to your feelings and admit that you like someone and they bruised your ego," she yelled, "Chis Mills hurt you, point blank."

"Yeah the douche bag hurt me, I feel like I was just punched in the stomach 5 times in a row," I said infuriated, "but how am I supposed to feel when someone says something that awful to me." I pushed my hair back and sighed, "but I'm not going to sit around and cry about it, thats just not me."

"Ice cream usually works for me," she said hanging up. I took a look at my bag of cheetos and then shrugged before taking another handful and shoving it in my mouth. I wasn't depressed, and I wasn't sulking and I didn't like him. I couldn't talk to my aunt, even if my cousin came home this weekend I was not going to talk to him, all logic pointed to my mother. I contemplated. There was the up side, she probably had some good advice to share and then there was the overwhelmingly down side, she's my mother. The woman banished me from her house. I made my decision, I was going to swallow my pride. I picked up the phone and dialed the number.

"Hello," the receiving end let out as a question.

"Hey mom," I gulped, "I have a problem and I need some ad..."

"Reagan," she sounded disappointed, "I'm sorry I'm super busy, but I'll call you back, I have a few openings in a few days I'll just pencil you in." And with that she hung up, no bye, no love ya, I had my answer and it wasn't a good one. It was to figure it out myself, which basically meant do the wrong thing.

I looked at my phone and decided the only solution was to prove him wrong. I dialed the phone and when the unsuspecting party said hello I did the most impulsive thing I think I've ever done. "Hey so I've been thinking," I said, "I really like you and I'm sick of playing all these stupid games, I want something real." I let out the breath I had been holding in and sighed, "so what do you say?"

"I really like you too Rea," he said and I smiled.

"So," I was unsure, "I don't know how this works, are we together now, like hand holding couple together?"

"That depends," he said, "do you want to be my girlfriend, officially?"

I thought about it, is this what I wanted to do. "Yeah," I nodded to myself and smiled, "I do." With him it was simple and easy, we talked for hours and about anything. I don't know why I didn't see it in the first place. I had even decided to do the unthinkable and change my relationship status on facebook, as if anyone cared.

The next day I would reap the consequences for my actions though, as everyone who makes a difficult decision must. To most people it wasn't a big deal, but to De everything was big. I went to my locker right away and threw a few books in. I thought I could lay low by heading straight to the library, but she cornered me.

"Are you sick," she looked at me seriously and I just gave her an unsure look. She put her hand on my forehead, "please tell me you have like the flu or something big." She looked at me, "you're not dying are you."

"What," I looked at her, "I'm not sick, I'm not dying, I feel fine." I looked down at myself and back up, "I swear I thought I looked better today."

"You look fine," she threw that worry aside. Then looked at me, "there is something wrong, because the Reagan Tanner I know has never been in a relationship and would never ever post it on facebook." She took a deep breath, "if you've been abducted blink twice."

I laughed, "I'm one hundred percent me and I feel great."

"Good," she smiled and then it quickly transformed into a , "what the hell is wrong with you."She flicked my ear.

I looked at her shocked, "I thought this is what you wanted me to do, I was taking your advice." She looked at me arms crossed and eyebrow raised, "what?"

"I told you to stop lying to yourself and admit you liked Chris," she sighed, "not to prove him wrong and rush into a relationship." She looked at me, "and with a guy you don't really even like, are you that dis functional."

"I like Brayden, he's easy to talk to and he makes me smile," I shrugged, "isn't that a good basis to start a relationship."

"Yup dis functional," she walked away as the bell rang. I rolled my eyes and started walking to class.