One of the Boys

Team Dinner

I walked out of the locker room, back in the clothes I was wearing before and made my way out and over to Deana who was with Tyler. "Oh my God there you are," she said jumping on me, "I thought I lost you, I thought no way she'd leave in the middle of a football game." She looked at me sternly, "where have you been you had me worried sick, and you missed the best parts."

"She was the best parts," Tyler said putting his arm around me.

De smiled big, "oh Rea you played, that's fantastic, you're fantastic, I am now officially going to every game."

"Hey," Tyler said giving her a look and she just smiled and laughed a bit. Tyler continued, "well I think we'll have a much better turn out now that we don't suck."

"So you're okay with this whole situation," I said looking at him, knowing that not all the guys were fine with it.

"Hell yeah," he said, "one you're awesome, two the guy who had a problem was the one you replaced tonight, and three I have a new bus buddy for away games." He hugged me really big and I laughed returning the hug. Sweet kid. When he let go I nodded to Deana as a sign that it was time to go. She was driving, still no car and sadly. "Wait," Tyler said, "the whole teams going to Shakeys, aren't you coming."

"I don't think I was invited," I shrugged.

"I'm inviting you, you're a part of the team and De can come too," he said, "she can be either your plus one or my plus one."

"Okay," I nodded and looked at De.

"I don't think I can go," e said, "I have curfew for the rest of the month, because of last time." She shrugged and gave a sympathetic look before walking to the car. I pouted and then followed her.

Tyler grabbed my arm and said "where you going."

"She's my ride," I said.

"Well you got a new ride now," he said dragging me to his car, this kid was crazy. The car ride was like ESPN replay done by Tyler, with a lot of you gotta teach me that's after the fact. I laughed and nodded I'd be glad to help him out. We got to Shakeys and we were pretty much given a whole room type thing, it was the upper level, there was a huge table and then a few booths with other people from the school.

Tyler and I took two of the empty seats at the table, and right in time because the pizza came. And mojos, I love mojos. "What's she doing here," the same bitter dude said.

"She's part of the team, Sam," Tyler said harshly. I just sat back in my seat.

"Not to mention the reason we're celebrating," another guy near me said. I sat up a little taller thankful for this nice guy. I think it was just a select few who were upset. "hey," nice guy said extending his hand, "I'm Carter, and I'm glad you're on the team." He smiled a flawless smile and I smiled as well.

"Reagan," I took the hand shake, "and I'm glad to be on the team." The night was going really well, I talked to a lot of my team mates. Okay only the ones really near me, but still this was nice.

We were in mid talk I'd swear when everyone turned to glare in the same direction. It was towards a guy, I looked over and didn't understand why we were all glaring so I just gave a confused face. "Hey guys," he said holding up his hands defensively, "no hard feelings right?"

"What do you want Knight," one guy named I think Brian said.

"Just wanted to congratulate you guys on the win," he said, "and shake hands with that receiver of yours, I guess every team needs one good player." I stood up and smiled as I extended my hand for a hand shake. He walked over and did as much of a circle around me as he could, "you're joking right." He looked at the rest of the team.

"Only if you found it funny that I ran circles around your team tonight," I said with a cocky grin crossing my arms.

He smirked and I immediately felt less comfortable when he looked me up and down. I looked away and ran my hand through my hair nervously. He chuckled a bit, "that's big talk for suck a pretty little thing." He stroked my cheek and then traced down my arm, it was creepy and sent the wrong type of shiver down my spine. He leaned in and pushed my hair back before whispering in my ear, "you better keep these guys around, because if I ever find you alone." Evil grin. Scary.

A lot of the guys stood up angrily, and Chris pushed Knight away from me. I think that's his last name. "Go away Knight," he took a position between us.

"I'll go Mills, but I can't promise I'll stay away from her," he looked at me, smirked and turned away, "see you latter sweetheart." I watched him leave as I robotically took my seat. I looked down and bit my nail.

"Don't worry Rae," Tyler said, "we all got you're back." I gave him a weak smile and he continued, "even Sam." He gestured to Sam and I looked up and he was nodding.

"Why," I looked back to Tyler.

"Cuz you're our team mate now," he said, "we watch out for each other, whether we like each other or not. It's like you have a whole bunch of new brothers." I smiled at the thought, it sounded kind of nice. I never had a brother, or any sibling that is. The closest thing was my cousin, but while I was in New York he lived here and now he's always on campus. I was used to being on my own, so not sure if this was good or bad. One thing I knew for sure any situation where running was an option, I could do. I could escape anything.

The rest of the night seemed to go without flaw and then everyone was going. "Alright we should probably go now," Tyler said, "I'm gunna go to the bathroom."

"Keys," i said and he tossed them, "I'll go start the vehicle." He laughed and I walked outside, i walked past the now almost empty parking lot to where we had to park on the street. I turned the keys to unlock it and then opened the door. A hand closed it and I turned around face to face with the same creep. "I guess the lesson didn't sink."

"Or maybe I'm just not afraid of you," I said crossing my arms and raising my eyebrow.

"You should be," he said leaning in again. I really hate whispering in the ear it's just to creepy, we weren't doing that again. I took my fist and socked him in the face. I don't think I hit that hard, but it's hard enough to shock a guy the first time. "You'll pay for that," he looked up.

"No," I said, "you'll get a lot worse if you ever touch me again now get out of here before one of my team mates see you." e looked up glared, but did as I told him and then I got in the car and Tyler was there in minutes to drive me home. "Thanks for the ride," I said as I got out of the car.

"No prob," he said and then took off.

I walked through the door and my aunt was there watching TV. "How was your day honey," she asked.

I walked over and hugged her, "fantastic." I pulled away and stood up triumphantly, "you're looking at Sierra Vista High School's newest member of the football team."

"that's great," she said and then continued, "but are you sure you want to be on the football team, I heard you made the cross country team."

"Wow," I said, "you're starting to sound like my mom."

"It's just football is a dangerous sport," she said.

"Alex plays football," I said raising an eyebrow.

"But Alex is a guy," she said and then my face sunk. Even my aunt had prejudice against my dream. Even she thought I couldn't do it because I was a girl, I wish Alex was here. All my life he was the only one who encouraged me. She looked at my face and sighed, "but if it's what you really want to do then I'm fine with it."

I smiled and then hugged her, "night." I ran upstairs so that I could go to be.