One of the Boys

Running into trouble

I like to keep in shape, I did say I was a runner. I jog in the park every Saturday, usually closer to the morning, but today I woke up late. The problem with California is it gets hot real quick, so I dressed for the weather, needless to say I'm comfortable in my own skin. This was of course my first Saturday park run since I had gotten back to Cali and I couldn't be happier. This is what I find relaxing, I run when I'm stressed, but this is routine I'm not stressed at the moment, in fact I'm still pretty hyped from yesterday.

I drove my car a few blocks over, to a park I had come across a few days ago. It was cute, play ground, lots of grass, baseball field, basketball court, all the works. The trail was in the back of the park and out of the site of pretty much the rest of the park, well that is until one area. I'd suppose it's because some people don't look all that attractive running, but then again some people do. Some of the guys I pass.

This is my time though, I don't usually come out of the zone until my walk lap. How do i stay focused, easy, I keep my headphones in and listen to my hand selected, adrenaline pumping, running play list. The secret to my success. My jog usually lasts a full hour and then I go into my cool down lap, which I was starting right now. I took out my headphones and put them in my pocket, hint always wear shorts with pockets, your life will never be easier. this is when I take in the nature, something I can't do when I'm on a treadmill.

"Tanner," I heard someone yell and I looked over at the park and smirked for a second before walking over. This could definitely be trouble

As I drew near the subject I crossed my arms over my chest and shook my head, "playing the last name game are we Mills." I saw him glance at my outfit and then I rolled my eyes and I was about to walk away for lack of interest.

"Chris," someone yelled, "I was ready for you to throw it." This little kid came over and took the football out of his hands.

"Whoa there squirt," he said taking it back, "this is my little brother Jack." He said picking up the little kid with his free arm and putting him down. "Jack this is my team mate," he paused for a second at the sound of that, "Reagan Tanner."

"Team mate," the little boy questioned and I nodded my head and he looked at Chris, "but she's a girl."

"Yeah," he sighed, "it's going to take some getting used to."

"is that so," I said crossing my arm.

He smirked and shrugged, "not all the guys are sure about this Tanner and frankly the only ones who are okay with it only let it slide because you're hot."

"Oh and what does the great Christopher Mills think," I said sarcastically while raising an eyebrow.

"Fluke accident," he shrugged, "a few lucky catches, you couldn't do it again."

"Is that a challenge," I said narrowing my eyes towards him.

He turned his attention to Jack, "hey go take a little break." The little kid shrugged and went to play in the park. I swear to God we spent the next thirty minutes having him through and me catch. Some of them were near impossible and there was only one I didn't get to. He watched me make catch after catch after catch. "Alright," he said, "you win, you're good."

I ran over smiling, "so it's not just a fluke accident that I made the team."

"How about I make it up to you," he smirked, "Jack and I were going to get lunch at this quaint little restaurant e a few blocks over, maybe you could join us."

I pretended to think about it for a second and then nodded, "yeah that sounds nice, just let me jog over to my car and put some clothes on." I went to run over and then turned around and said, "oh and Mills, this isn't a date."

"You're my team mate Tanner," he said, "dating you would be like dating Josh." I nodded and started my jog over to the car. I was parked on the other side of the park, it was on both sides of Dunsmore and stretched a bit on each side. Oh yeah by the way finally got my car. It might not be much, but I loved my red 2001 camaro. It was my mom's, she never drove it so it was in perfect shape for me. I just changed in the back seat, my windows are illegally tinted so you really can't see a thing.

I made my way back over to where the two brothers were playing catch. "Hey," someone said. I turned around and looked for where the voice came from. "My name's Brayden," he said extending a hand which i gladly took because he was extra cute.

"Reagan," I smiled a cute smile. Well at least I hope it was cute.

"I just saw that you were running around here and I wanted to know if it was going to be a
normal thing," he said smiling nervously.

"Normal," I asked kind of unsure.

"What I'm trying to say," he said, "is I hope to see you around here again." I looked at him and he continued nervously, "you know running." I nodded and then he added, "because this is a really nice place."

I laughed, "you're cute, I'll definitely be seeing you around."

"Cool," he said, "nice meeting you Reagan."

"You can call me Rea," I said.

"Rea, heads up," he said slightly ducking.

I turned around to see a football flying towards me, I just put my hand up and caught it out in front of me glaring at where it came from. "Oh sorry," Chris yelled, "I guess it just slipped, but while I have your attention hurry up."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to him mouthing sorry. "That was pretty impressive," he said motioning towards the ball. I just shrugged and started walking towards the brothers. "Wait he's not your..."

"No," I turned around laughing, "he's my brother, he's got ADHD, I shouldn't have left him alone with our younger brother. At least this time all he did was throw a football at me usually it's much worse." He looked at me a bit lost, i laughed a little and walked over to them. "Alright," I said, "I'm ready."

"Who was that," he rose an eyebrow.

"Jealous," I asked raising my eyebrow.

"Ha," he said sarcastically, "get in the car."

"That wasn't very nice," I said.

"Please get in the car Miss Tanner," he said. I laughed and did so. Jack was sitting in the back being very quiet.

I turned and looked at the kid, "so jack how old are you?"

Eight," he said. I'm so good, get used to me being right, it happens all the time people.

"And you play football,"I asked.

"Just like Chris," he smiled.

"That is so cute," I said and looked at Chris who had a hint of a smile on his face. Yes I saw that, not a smirk, not a grin, that was a smile. We pulled into the parking lot and he said, "here we are."

"Quaint little restaurant," I mocked as I got out of the car and followed them in, "this is McDonald's."

"I promised the kid," he said and Jack nodded his head. I rolled my eyes and picked out what I was getting. I really didn't need to look, the choice was clear. The angus mushroom and swiss burger. There is nothing better than mushrooms and that sandwich is pure haven.

We got our food and sat, Jack went over to the play area. I was secretly jealous because I totally wanted to play. I did though underestimate how hungry I was, and the burger was so good. "Hey do me a favor and breathe in between bites, would you," he said grinning at me.

"Stop looking at me like that it's creepy," I said. I could tell he was going to say something and so I cut i, 'and please spare me the wow you eat a lot speech, you know how it is, gotta feed all this muscle." I flexed my arms as and he rose an eyebrow to which I laughed.

"Actually I was going to say you probably shouldn't go on dinner dates," he said and I looked up, "you eat like a pig Tanner."

"I'm starving, "I said defensively, "besides you've eaten more than i have in the same amount of time." I gestured angrily toward his tray and the small amount of food left on it. It's sort of like the pot calling the kettle black.

"I'm a guy," he said seriously.

"That's always the excuse I get," I said, "you know some guys find this charming." I held my sandwich in the air and waved it around.

He crossed his arms and leaned back, "their lying."

"Thanks for the tip," I said bitterly, "I came here to escape the criticism not to get it from some..." I didn't have an insult in my head, "well from you." I pouted and took another bite, but this bite was an angry bite. He just shook his head and we continued eating. Making the occasional small talk.

Soon we were back in the car driving to the park. "So did you have a good time," Jack said. I turned back to the little kid in the back seat and looked at him. He was leaning forward in my seat.

"Yes I did sir," I said smiling.

"Would you like to do it again sometime," he said.

I looked at Chris who was laughing and I smiled, "of course."

"Alright it's a date," he said and then leaned in a bit closer and pointed to Chris, "don't worry, this time I'll leave the third wheel at home." I laughed and Chris rose an eyebrow.

"All right Romeo," Chris said, "it's time to say bye to your girl friend."

"Aww, do i really have to go already," I pouted as I opened the door, "we just became a couple like a second ago, have a heart Chris."

"Yeah," Jack said, "and don't be jealous because she chose me over you, no hard feelings bro." He turned around and glared at his brother, may I remind you this is coming from an eight year old. I just laughed and gave a little wave before walking over to my car.