One of the Boys

Falling for Starbucks

It's not that the last game wasn't official, it's just i wasn't official. I wasn't officially on the team so it didn't count, now I was a part of the team and I would be playing under my name. I was stoked. Though I didn't feel good most of the day, I'll attribute that to being forced to wear business casual meaning pencil skirt. I'm not the type who wears dresses to school, so I was massively uncomfortable and all my new guy friends telling me not to worry cuz I looked hot, wasn't as comforting as one would think.

This game was away, after school we all piled onto this bus, with our equipment under. Two to each seat, of course Tyler was my bench buddy. I wanted to sleep, but the adrenaline kicking in was not going to help me at all.

"Alright who's nervous," Hayden leaned over his seat asking everyone in the general area, which I was thankfully a part of. "I think it's time for a rap battle."

I popped my head up, "rap battle?"

Yeah," Hayden nodded, "it's like this," he paused, "hey Josh, just one look at you could make anyone hurl, you're a beast on the field, but one look at you scares all the girls." I looked over at Josh who was laughing with half the team, the other half was going ooo. I just kind of sat there and listened, it was funny.

"Why don't you try it, Rea," one of the guys said.

"I got two things working against me, I'm white and I'm a girl, I doubt it'd be any good," I said putting my hands up in defense.

"Nicki Minaj and Eminem," Tyler said and I hit him because he wasn't helping at all. Those two are both one of a kind. "You can do Sam." I smirked and nodded my head, Sam was not my favorite person on the team and I knew I wasn't his.

"Hey Sam I see you walking with you girl, so cute hand in hand. To bad she's done it with every other man." I paused and looked at his face as the dished out oos and then continued, "don't matter that she never gives him any cuz she's always at his side. I know I'm not a guy, but if I were maybe she'd be satisfied." And now the oos were even stronger, honestly I had no clue if his girlfriend was a hoe. This all seemed to be playful and everyone high fived me, but Sam wasn't happy.

"Bitch," he said.

"That's right," I said taking it as a compliment or the highest form of praise.

"Alright Rae," Hayden said, "you are champion of the day thus far." I bowed in my seat and we continued with our rap battle. It was really fun. And so was the game. And so was sleeping on the ride home. Fridays now exhaust me, games exhaust me. And damn, now I have to drive home and then run again tomorrow.

I woke up early to run, earlier than last week, it's cooler in the morning, therefore a more appealing time to run. No cute guy at 6 though, I understand, they don't wake up till about 10 if even that early. Damn and I was soo looking forward to it.

I got back home at around 10 and then went back to sleep for a while, sleep is good people. Always remember that. "What are you doing," Deana said through the phone I had just picked up.

"I was sleeping," I said, "but now I'm feeling like Starbucks."

"Alright, don't drink to much sugar because we are going to a party tonight," she said extra excited.

I sighed, "do we really have to."

"You are the only teenager who isn't eager to go to parties," she said.

"No," I disagreed, "I am the only one who will openly say that I'm not in the mood. And I'm so not, I just want to sit at home and catch up on the TV I've missed this week."

"You're lame," she said.

"You're mean," I stuck out my tongue as if she could see it, "and I'm going to Starbucks."

"Driving," she asked.

"Naw walking," she groaned on the other side, De isn't the most active person. "Starbucks is so not satisfying unless you have a nice walk home to enjoy it on, it''s a nice day and you should really go outdoors more often."

"I so do," she protested.

"Sure, love you De, bye," I said and got myself ready to walk to Starbucks. I changed out of what I wore running, which incidentally I also slept in and then I was off. I loved my car and I liked driving, but sometimes when Starbucks is a measly six blocks it's more rewarding to just walk. Besides it gets rid of some of my boredom and gives me a little something to do.

"I'll take a double chocolate chip, grande please," I said smiling. I don't like coffee and this drink is not coffee, rather it is chocolate. Which makes me hyper. And I get really hyper and recently I've learned that other food after my hyperness can calm me down. So that's good, but sometimes I actually really like being hyper.

"Alright name please," the dude behind the counter said.

"Reagan," I shrugged. I know lots of people would use fake names for fun, but I actually get more pleasure seeing how they spell my name. Or when they read it out how they pronounce it.

He smiled, "that's a pretty name."

"Thanks," I said handing him my exact change and then skipped over to an empty table to wait for my drink. Oh how I love Starbucks, even though it smells like coffee it always smells really good. When they pushed my order out I was back on my walk back home. I was humming Light Up the World, my new favorite Glee song and dancing as I walked. Sometimes I'd stop if someone looked creepy or I'd just stop to remind myself how crazy I seemed at the moment. But it didn't matter I would always restart the song and dance. This is probably why it takes me forever to walk home.

At moments I would walk backwards or close my eyes, for someone as poised as I am this isn't the smartest idea. Especially when you add a small yipping dog that I don't here to the matter. I feel bad for the dog that I tripped over, I started falling backwards and luckily caught. Thank you stranger.

I started dusting myself off and a slightly familiar voice said, "you okay."

I didn't turn back because I didn't feel like it, instead I kneeled down and started petting the dog. "Yeah fine," I laughed as the dog smothered me in kisses, "I'm accident prone, I can trip over anything, everything and absolutely nothing."

"I see," he said.

I turned around, "what's his name?" And it's then I noticed who it was and I smiled, "oh hey." I blushed because I had just fallen in front of the cutie from the track, well the first time I ran it, you know Brayden.

"Hey," he smiled, "I thought since i didn't see you today you decided to look for another running partner." I bit my lip and he continued, "oh and his name is Jackson."

"Oh well hello Jack," I said to the dog petting him once more, "I am so sorry I fell on you." He just laughed and I stood up and looked at him bushing my hair back. "I ran today, I just went earlier, last Saturday was a one time thing, I'm more of a morning person."

"I'm not," he sighed and I shrugged, "but I guess it wouldn't kill me if I was." I smiled and he continued, "so Starbucks."

"It makes me hyper," I said.

"I could tell," he laughed, "the dance was a solid ten, but I'd say the ending brought you down to a very generous 8."

"What if I said that it was staged," I said, "believable, right?"

He laughed, "do you live around here?"

"Yeah," I said, "I was walking home and then I stumbled on you and your dog." He smiled. "I'm actually almost home," I said, "I should probably get there before my aunt thinks I went missing or something, this has already been an extended trip."

"I'd get on that before she files a missing persons report," he said sarcastically.

"Funny," I smiled, "but chances are she would totally do that." I looked up and waved, "bye, nice seeing you."

"Wait," he said, "before you go, I was hoping that maybe we could you know go out for maybe like dinner or something."

"You know," I said, "I would, but you made fun of my dancing and that's a huge turn off, because I am an amazing dancer."

"Okay," he smiled grabbing my phone out of my pocket and typing while I kind of just looked at him. He extended his hand to return it. "I'll call you later, super star." I grabbed the phone smiled and we went our separate directions.