Basically the Scariest Pokemon Out There, and He's My Sanity

Chapter 15

Over the next few days I had decided to stay in Pewter City. At least until Growlithe was well enough to go back into the wild with Arcanine. However, I wasn’t going to let those days go to waste. Instead, on the first full day of waiting I had approached Arcanine with a great idea.

“Hey Arcanine!” I said, kneeling next to his gigantic body. Arcanine lifted his head off the floor and his paws and looked at me. “Wanna battle?” He blinked twice then tilted his head to the side.

“Ar?” he said. I grinned.

“Do you want to battle with my Pokémon and me? It’ll be a great way for me to get my Pokémon ready for the next gym! That, and next time I might be able to easily defeat the next Team Magma grunts that come my way!” I said, smiling. Arcanine rose and walked towards the front door of the lobby in the Pokémon center. He briefly looked back at me, barked, and then walked outside. I turned towards Gastly, my smile reaching both sides of my cheeks.

“Come on Gastly! We have to use every chance we have to get stronger!” I said.

“Gast gastly!” he said, smiling and nodding. We went outside as quick as we could and saw Arcanine standing on an open field surrounded by rocks. It almost looked like an arena of some sort.

“Awesome!” I whispered, staring at the arena in awe. “This looks so cool!” Arcanine waited patiently on his side of the field and I ran towards my end.

“Ar ar!” Arcanine barked and got into an offensive stance. I smirked and got ready myself.

“Alright! Let’s do this! Gastly! Let’s train you a bit first!” I said. I looked at Gastly then pointed to the area right in front of me. Gastly nodded and quickly floated until he was in front of me. Arcanine growled then leaped at Gastly while baring his fangs.

“That must be his bite attack. Alright Gastly! Dodge it then use Lick!” I yelled.
I wonder if Lick would even do anything to an Arcanine? It didn’t do much to that Houndour. But then again according the pokedex Houndour was a dark and fire Pokémon. I believe it said Arcanine was simply fire. Well, we’ll see I guess.

Gastly tried to dodge Arcanine but he was too slow and got caught in Arcanine’s attack. Gastly instantly fell to the ground with swirls in his eyes.

“Gastly!” I yelled, running up to him. I picked him up and held him close. “What happened? Only
one Bite attack and he’s already down? But how can that be?” I muttered. I pulled out my pokedex to see if it could tell me something. I pointed it at Gastly and something weird popped up.

“Gastly. Current level: 15. Attack,” the pokedex went on to list more numbers that meant nothing to me about Gastly’s defense and attacks.

“Oh, so the pokedex can also tell me what level my Pokémon are?” I muttered. Then I looked up at Arcanine who was now kneeling next to me, licking his paws clean. I pointed the pokedex at Arcanine and it said that this one was level 32.

“Well, now it makes perfect sense why you easily beat Gastly. Hm, maybe I should rethink battling you. At least for right now,” I whispered. Arcanine nodded and stood up. I sighed and did the same, holding Gastly close to me. “Thanks for letting me fight you, Arcanine. Gastly, you take a rest.” Gastly nodded and rested in my arms. Arcanine and I returned to the Pokémon center as quickly as possible. When we got there I got Gastly healed up and then went right back out of the center and headed towards the woods. Arcanine followed me and I didn’t say a word, only smiled.

Eventually we got far enough into the woods where we found some flying types as well as other Pokémon I’ve already caught.

“Okay, let’s bring everyone out so I can get an idea of how much we need to train!” I said. Everyone came out of their pokeballs and stood in front of me. “I already know Gastly is level 15. So let’s start with you Pikachu!” I held the pokedex in front of each of them.

“Pikachu.Current level: 13. Pichu. Current level: 5. Weedle. Current level : 5. Rattata: current level: 5,” Pokedex said after each one. I nodded and looked at Pikachu and Gastly, my two strongest Pokémon.

“Well, now I have an idea as for who can be trained with who right now. Gastly and Pikachu, why don’t you two rest for a bit while I train Pichu, Weedle, and Rattata?” I said. Gastly and Pikachu nodded and sat down on a nearby log next to Arcanine. I turned towards the other three of my group and smiled at them. “Okay guys! It’s time for our first training session!” All three cheered and as they did, a bird Pokémon appeared out of the air and settled down next to our little group, grooming its feathers. I smirked and nodded at Pichu. He ran and stood in front of the bird while I pulled out my pokedex.

“Pidgey, a bird Pokémon. It is docile and prefers to avoid conflict.”

“A peaceful Pokémon huh? Okay, well we challenge you to a battle Pidgey!” I yelled. The pidgey turned towards us and prepared for battle.

“Pichu!” Pichu yelled, getting in a defensive position.

“Okay Pichu! Use thundershock!” I yelled.

“Pichu!” Pichu yelled, stretching, then curling into a ball of electricity before sending said electricity onto Pidgey. The Pidgey fell but then got up a moment later, little shock waves floating around it.

“Sweet! It got paralyzed! Okay Pichu, let’s finish it with one more thundershock!” I yelled. Pichu nodded but before he could start, the pidgey attacked him with a Tackle. “Pichu! You okay?” Pichu nodded, then proceeded to complete the move I had told him to do before the Pidgey attacked him. The Pidgey fainted and we all cheered. “Great job Pichu! You won your first battle!” Pichu ran into my arms and I spun around with him. He then jumped down, looked at Pikachu and the others, then looked back up at me. I shook my head.

“Sorry Pichu, but we have a lot of work to still do. But I promise once we’re done today I’ll let you all play. Okay?” Pichu nodded and smiled. “Okay! Weedle and Rattata! It’s your guys’ turns! I don’t see any wild Pokémon right now so let’s just work on our speed! Pichu, you join in too since you’re all the same level!” I looked around and picked up some rocks, then arranged them in a straight line. “Okay guys, we’re gonna run inbetween these rocks, zigzagging. Got it?” they nodded. “Alright! Let’s do this!”

We trained for what seemed like hours. At first it was the zigzag running. Then, once some Pokémon appeared, I had them fighting said Pokémon in turns. I trained right alongside them when I could. When they ran, I ran. When I had Weedle climb up a tree and get in target practice, I was up there in the tree with her. I pointed at things for her to aim at and although she was shaky at first, she definitely improved over time.

I clapped my hands when I got down from the tree. “Okay guys! That’s all for training for today! We’ll get some more done tomorrow. Gastly and Pikachu! You two will be joining in as well tomorrow!” I said. Everyone nodded and I sent them off to play. I sat down on the log next to Arcanine and he glanced at me, then lightly licked me. His tongue was so huge compared to my small head that my entire head got drenched in his saliva.

“Ew!” I said jokingly. Arcanine laughed, well…barked, and rested his giant head on his paws once more. I patted his head. “I know you’re worried about Growlithe. But I saw her, and she’s gonna be just fine. I promise.” Arcanine purred and scooted closer to me, before lightly falling asleep at my feet the only way a Pokémon bigger than oneself can, by blocking my way of ever getting up before he wakes up. Oh well, I didn’t mind. After all, I got to pet him as long as he was sleeping.