Basil Winters: Lies Never Stay Covered for Long.

Sophie Surprise

James:
I managed to grab Target out of his slumber/hangover and with the promise of bacon and copious amount of coffee while I talk to Sophie... We arrive on a small side street down the road from a building site, the cafe is full and I start to wig out a little, I haven't told anyone where I'm going besides Target who is standing next to me groaning at the bacon smell. If I get noticed, I could be in trouble.

I buck it up and walk in, after a large group of men wearing yellow jackets - most likely builders from the building site we passed up the road, I notice that they sit down and grab a menu, I make Target take the table in the corner and I sit opposite him looking around. It's an old style British cafe with linoleum flooring and plastic melamine tables. Dark with little lighting.

The menu stated it as the Fitz' Bistro and then I search this yellowing laminated menu to figure out what to order for a cover... while Target actually chooses hungrily.

A young girl about 14 comes over and says 'Hey I'm Brook and I'll be your server, welcome to the Fitz. What would you like sir?' I smile and say two coffees and I point to Target who orders a Millionaire's Breakfast. She smiles and leaves.

"Chicken" Target clucks.

I stare vehemently at him in jest. As I see the door open and the back of a short blonde head run behind the kitchen divide opposite and out of sight my heart starts to palpate my chest.
"T she's gone into the kitchen I'm sure its her!" I gasp.

I'm walking towards the counter as the owner/cook fronts it and smiles "Hi sir, can we help you?" - he is about 40 with greying hair I then realise this could be Sophie's Dad! I splutter my reply.. I have never asked a Father to talk to their daughter... and I suck at it.

"I'm looking for Sophie?" it comes out like a question and his face goes through 4 stages - happy basic - slightly bemused - to aware of something I'm not - to full on rage!

"How dare you!" he says loudly and then readjusts his throat when he remembers he's in his Cafe full of customers, "Sophie doesn't want to see you! just leave!" he says sternly muted.

"Whoa, Sir. I'm here to apologise..." I start as he cuts me off.

"A couple of months to late sir!" her Father says curtly.

"I only met her last night," I gasp! "I wanted to apologise for last night... I'm sorry about the glass and cuts..." I say fast trying to figure out the other meanings.

His face turns to shock! "Glass!, Cuts!" he suddenly runs to some stairs and screams "Sophie!!!" He gives me a bad look, "If she's hurt, I hope you know how to run!" he scares me.

Everyone turned to the sound. There are steps down the stair and two other girls come down with the blonde, one is Brooke and the other a long haired brunette and I notice she's 3/4 months pregnant... he's talking to her, dragging her gently behind him to the counter, the other girls in the back aren't completely visible where they are situated behind the stair.

"Sir, My daughter Sophie, doesn't know who you are and as you can see she is uninjured. I feel like we have a misunderstanding" he says now calm.

The pregnant girl at the back gasps and runs forward "I am Sophie but I think your looking for Basil!" she grins slightly and runs to the stair and pulls a shy blonde not Sophie towards the counter, her hand bandaged.

"Hi" she squeaks as she notices my expression "I can explain" she smiles and steps around the counter and walks to a closed section in the restaurant part of the cafe. I follow her bemused and I think if she is a compulsive liar I might have to stop getting to know her as how could I ever trust her with who I am, a lot of my friends only know that I am rich, not that I am royal. I have tried to keep myself hidden and safe since I was nearly kidnapped as a kid, it makes me nervous and paranoid.

She sits down in the empty area of the restaurant and I sit opposite her not sure whether to carry on this rendezvous, as Brooke drops the coffee on the table in front of us. The cafe quietens to a hum of gossip.