Basil Winters: Lies Never Stay Covered for Long.

I'm sorry.

After running in late this morning due to phoning the agency and finding that I have got Sophie fired I sit cleaning my superficial cuts and resealing them with bandages and/or blue hygiene plasters. I then tidy up my hair and throw on my clothes. I run down the road and notice that the Cafe window is full of customers and I know that Brooke had plans this afternoon. I run in full speed and straight into the back area opposite the front door.

Greg grunts at me to start the kettle off on my way up stairs, as Brooke walks up behinds me after logging an order. We knock on Sophie's door and walk in.

She gives me a look of shock as I take off my Jacket. "Basil! what happened!".
After apologising profusely, and explaining about Harper and the birthday guy and how I was only in a room for 5 seconds before a paramedic arrived. I sighed as I grabbed my apron and accepted a hug from Sophie who is just glad I'm fine.

I am about to go downstairs to start when the loudest scariest screech comes up the stairs 'SOPHIE!!!'

We gasp at the worry in Greg's voice and all three of us ran down stairs, he meets us at the stair edge and pulls Sophie forwards and barks for us to stay put.

Greg's demeanor changes and Sophie speaks and the guy comes out from behind the coffee machine, It's the BIRTHDAY GUY!!! Shit! I hear Sophie say 'I think you want Basil...'

I want to disappear as she drags me forwards, 'Hi' I squeak as the whole room looks on, I see his face turn and he looks lost with him self, "I can explain!"

I take him to the cafes back area of more classier night time situation, I sit him down as Brooke brings him a drink, her mouth gawps as she notices something and she runs off back behind the counter.

The Cafe returns to a hum as he hands me a waist coat and envelope. Sophie's pay slip.
We sit in silence his coffee going cold. I bite the bullet. "Sophie is pregnant. she was sick yesterday and needed the money, so I covered for her. Please don't go to the police..." I beg and explain speedily.

"Why would I go to the police?" he interrupts.

"Its Fraud.... your company chose her not me, I wasn't vetted by your security." I start and then I see him pull a face. "I mean I know your family is rich and this could have been a much bigger deal..." he tries to interrupt again "I mean it wasn't like I was going there to hit up a prince charming or get a scoop for a newspaper! I was helping out my friend and God knows she's only in this position because of that douche last night!" I fold my arms making a point to mention his 'FRIEND' Harper had caused all this.

"Okay, breath!" He looks at me confused, "Firstly I am James and yes my family is rich but I don't mind that you helped your friend out, but I'm lost Basil at how all this is Harper's fault before last night, yeah he's a dick and I never invited him but why was he harassing you and calling you a..."

"A Whore?!" I but in, "Harper, raped my best friend and I got her help. Not that it dented his reputation, I guess he doesn't like strong women." I grimace back as I squeeze my hand in anger and pop a stitch "FUCK!" I suddenly start pouring blood from the side of my palm.

James pulls off his thin open shirt and wraps my hand while having a pained look on his face, I finally stop trying to save myself from getting arrested as that could lead to an investigation of my life which I have to make sure stays covered up. I finally notice he's wearing a top saying RIOT and I gasp I loved Paramore when I lived in the US 3 years ago.

I smile and say "Thanks, Paramore?" and he blushes.
"My 14 year old sister likes them we went the other year" He smiles and then checks my hand and comments "we should get this treated," I nod feeling a little woozy, Brooke comes back, with Target running behind.

"Dude we got to go!" He says as the front window fills with photographers waiting and a few impatient snaps flashing.

James grabs my good hand and asks if there is a way out, I nod and run the boys out of the backdoor and down the back alley to a gate at the bottom and I pull out my key as I lead them into my yard, My flat only has back access up some metal fire escape stair and they follow me, from the front door you can see just over the cafe roof and we notice the local news van had arrived also.