Basil Winters: Lies Never Stay Covered for Long.

Breathless Accusations

As I shut the door, all three of us pant breathlessly.
I turn on the lights and thank the heavens that Greg helped me fix it last month, the lights had a habit to blow on cold days. I smile and look down my hand is dribbling, stemmed but still bleeding.
'Follow me,' I say as I walk further into my Kitchen/Dining and Living area, 'Welcome to my mansion, please take a seat,' I say pointing to my crammed abode.
I run to the sink and rinse my hand, afterwards drying it with extra gauze, I was given at the emergency room last night and breath relieved the butterfly sticky stitched area wasn't that deep so will hopefully not need restitching, after placing a plaster, I took a deep breath and realised that I was more nervous about never seeing James again.

I turn to the boys who are looking around, Target picks up my photo album! the only thing I kept from my old life... I didn't even keep my name. I rush over and slam the book shut as he opens it and tuck it away, smiling politely and trying to act normal offer them a drink which both decline.

I look out my window and see the van still parked on the road opposite the cafe. I turn on my TV to give the room a background noise and sit down on the floor, due to Target having resigned himself to a corner chair while engrossed in his phone and James having taken half the small love seat. After 15 long quiet minutes with only a current affairs show mumbling in the background James finally speaks up.

'So how long have you lived here?' he says looking around at the old person style flat with cozies and plates hung on the wall.
'Erm, 2 years in the U.K and six months in this flat while working at Greg's bistro.' I answer as efficiently as possible. He gives me a look of interest but then drops it when Target shouts out suddenly!

"Fuck mate!" we turn to look at his exclamation, he throws his phone at James and grabs the remote from my side urgently, he flicks to SKY NEWS. The pretty anchor has a tight camera shot on her serious face as she says:

'Welcome back to SKYNEWS, a quick look at this mornings papers show that the media world is in a storm about the possible party of high society party boy whose birthday ended in fists flying at the world famous Cannizaro House. It has not been leaked who's party this was but, it has been confirmed the recipient of the punch was Harper Rhymes! Son of Harley Parker Henries who is the 2nd wife of Global Millionaire Magnate! Target Henries Sr, its believed a young waitress was hurt in the middle of this possible 'love' brawl and we go now to London and to out Correspondent who has tracked down the waitresses work address! Bruce are you there?' she hands over to Bruce who indeed is outside of the Bistro.

I groan and put my head in my hands! Who could do this! Only two people knew the Bistro address last night - Sophie's friend and the person who made the checks out! I look up and Target has his phone back and is arranging something. James is looking at me with more intrigue.

'What?!' I shout finally after 5 minutes of him staring me down.
'Did you or your friends recongnise me?' he says flatly, as if he's hiding something his eyes give off an aura - this is a feeling I know well and he can see that but is reading me wrong.
'Why would I publicise the fact I committed serious FRAUD last night?!' I say back bluntly.
His steely gaze drifts off with an understanding of common sense when the door knocks, we all face it thinking SHIT! If it is the press for me I could be on camera and if someone saw me I might have to run again, I still don't know what he is hiding but he once again has the same look!
'go into the room there!' I say as James and Target run off into my bedroom, I'm sacrificing my secret for a guy I've known 12hrs.

I get to the door and shout 'Who is it?!'

'Its me!' I hear Sophie saying a little out of breath from the stair.
I open the door and she is flustered - I sit her down to rest and sigh relieved that all the secrets are safe even if I wish I could know his - I know I'm not ready to share mine.