Berlin Wall

Berlin Wall

I pulled the jacket tighter around my body as I shivered. Not all the jackets of the world could shield anyone from the bitter coldness that seemed to seep from the concrete. I approached the abandoned section of the wall where no guard saw it as a threat nor an accessible point where people could safely climb over the wall. I knocked three times before pressing my ear closely to the frozen block: The Berlin Wall. A scary sight, bringing pain and tears to everyone who stood on opposite sides. It brought ME pain. Love, true love, stood on the other side of this wall and oh how we missed each other. No knocks followed my own causing a frown to appear on my face, he was late.

I relaxed against the cruel wall, sliding myself down to take a seat on the icy ground, eyes open for anyone who might have decided to walk by. So far, no one was around making me feel a bit better though my alertness for danger never diminished. A flurry of snow hit my face almost causing me to miss the light knocks coming from the other side of the wall.
I raised my voice slightly, "Bill?"
"Angeline?"
"Bill..." I sighed, pressing a hand against the wall, our voices were probably extremely muffled to each other but we rather try to understand what the other is saying or nothing at all and we all know, something is better than nothing.
"I'm here." His breathing dragged, a sign of the cold effecting his run over here.
I took a shaky breath as the tears of relief began its progress down my face. "So much pain in one piece of concrete." I choked a laugh.
"Too many tears." I heard faintly.
"I miss you."
"I love you."
"I love you too."
I pressed myself closer to the wall, wishing I could feel the warmth of his body on mine.
He shifted his position and all was silent for a moment.
"Mother's worried about you." I started.
"Tell her I'm fine... I just wish the best for you guys."
"How's Simone and Tom?"
"Well they miss you."
I smiled, wishing her could see it. "Ditto."
He chuckled before letting a melody escape his lips. "Gas and blood is all I got, In you I trust. The final exit is passing by, the wheels run free under me. Angel don't you cry, I'll meet you on the other side."
I hummed to the familiarity of the tune that was sung more than once as I rocked myself. The sound of branches left me paralyzed as they cracked under someone's hard boot.

"Sh! Bill, someone is here!"
His song cut short, I wish it hadn't. "Stay still."
I gulped, pressing my back firmly against the wall as I tried to slow my breathing and hide amongst the many dead greenery. The presence of a flash-light only made me nervous, setting off an alarm throughout my body, telling me to run. I squeezed my eyes shut, as if that would make me invisible.
"YOU THERE!"
I gasped, shielding my face from the blinding light. His accent was thick.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"
"Run Angeline! Run, Love!" Bill's voice shouted before I stumbled onto my feet, beginning to run down the length of the wall before darting across the field. There were shouts behind me causing me to push my feet faster. My dirty blonde hair escaped from it's floppy bun and whipped at my face as I pumped my arms.
The sound of police sirens wailing at me made my heart pump faster.

During my run, I fell and winced as the sidewalk scraped at my face, I started crawling quickly, pushing myself up onto my feet as I progressed but someone's hand grabbed my ankle and I only fell back down, landing hard on my chest and face.
I screamed and kicked as the Russian officer yelled at me, another grabbed my arms and they hauled me up. One put me in a bear hug.
"You're wall is the cause of so much pain in this country! So many tears fall from eyes! So many fears! Too many chains seem to capture people who don't deserve it! To many walls!" My German was loud and clear but I doubted they could get a full translation.
There was no shouting as my head seemed to spin, my vision blurred and darkness covered me.

~~

"I promise it won't happen again." My mother stated slowly. The officers nodded in assurance before leaving. My mother slammed the door behind their feet. She turned to me, hand covering her mouth. "My baby." She ran over, hugging me tightly. "Let me see you face. Did they hurt you? Did they touch you?" Her hand gently shifted my face to the side. "Was Bill hurt too?"
I shook my head as my own tears responded to hers. "He's fine." I soothed. "I fell while running... I blacked out from anger and frustration." I gritted my teeth.
She let out a lovely rainbow of curses. "They are going to be the death of us all!"

~~

"Angeline, Ronald brought this. It's a message from the other side of the wall." She whispered as if anyone could be hearing.
I jerked open the door to my room quickly and snatched the letter. I already recognized the chicken scratch words. "Did you give him my word of thanks? I can't imagine what it's like being the messenger of the walls." Or that's what we called him. Family and friends from either side of the wall would tie their letters to a rock so they could be thrown to the other side in the areas no one patrols. In the dead of night, Ronald picks up any letters as well as flinging some of ours to the other side where his older sister Haley would pick up those in the early morning when she "cleans the yard" or does "simple art work".
"I did, he says not to worry. They haven't caught him yet and of they ever were, he would rather strike them down with boulders before they could get to those letters." She let out a chuckle before leaving as I opened the envelope.

Angeline,

Will you stand the pain when I'm by your side? Will you follow me into the night?
They're not gonna get us, we'll be alright, and one day they dark side will shine for us.
Are you ok? I hope no harm came to you... I'll say we give it 5 days before we meet again. For your safety.
Mom says she saw the American's arriving at the airport earlier today and some change might be coming.
But who knows... They were a little late during WWII eh?

I laughed at his reference.

I miss you and I'm still worried about you.

Love,
Bill Kaulitz

I took a deep breath in, wishing that his scent still lingered. I grabbed my own piece of parchment and began writing a reply.

My Liebe,

As long as you're by my side, I feel like I could do anything. The Americans you say? I wonder what they plan to do...
Mother is worried sick about the other day. 5 days huh? Seems like a century. I'm fine... A little scratched up but okay.
You have nothing to worry about, I'm in good hands and a lot of people are very supportive here. I think my mother reassured them I wouldn't be over there again with her playing the "ANGRY house mother. Ha! You should have seen it! It would've been something you would've had a good laugh at.
I miss you... and I love you more than anything.
Tell Tom I miss him too and Simone, and Gordon. Hope everything is going well with your music.

Angeline.

"MOM! Can you make sure Ronald gets this!" I shouted as I sealed the envelope. She appeared at my doorway moments later to retrieve the letter before the door bell rang.
She groaned. "Who in the hell could that be? I swear if it's more of those officers I'll strike them down with a spoon!"
I chuckled. "A spoon?"
She waved me off.
I hummed a tune while brushing my hair on my bed. I felt like I was on cloud nine after reading words from Bill. They always made me feel better.
"ANGELINE! ANGELINE! COME DOWN QUICKLY! ITS THE AMERICANS! THEY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOU!"
I gasped, bolting down the stairs. Bill was right, and it must mean something good if my mom was wearing the biggest smile on her face.
My English was thickly coated with an accent as I tried not to choke. "Are you here to help us?"
I the man that seemed to be their leader smiled and held out his hand in greeting. His eyes lingered on my scratched up face. "Hello Ms. Angeline, we're here to take down this wall."

~~

The words that had poured out of my mouth moments before had long ago ceased. The men were now packing their brief cases and shaking hands with my mother. When they were gone she embraced me. "There's change in the air... I could smell it."

~~

3 days past and I was preparing for bed, dressed in a small night gown with a robe and was humming a song Bill wrote called Monsoon as I pinned up my hair.
"MISS ANGELINE! ANGELINE COME QUICKLY!"
I scurried over to my window. "What's with all this shouting?!"
Ronald waved me down. "It's the wall!"
"What of it?!"
"ITS FALLING!" He cheered waving his hat in the air with joy.
I let out a scream of excitement, running out of the room. "MAMA! MAMA! THE WALL! IT'S FALLING!!!"
"What?!" She ran after me and together we ran, barefoot, to the wall. I grinned seeing bulldozers approaching the wall. People were cheering and the countdown began.

10.. 9.. 8.. 7.. 6.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1!

With a boom the machine crashed into the first part of the wall. People cheered and some even began climbing through the gaps in urgency.
I began running down the length of the wall. The cold air was like a knife cutting through my bare chest and thighs.
"WHERE ARE YOU GOING?" My mom shouted after me.
"TO FIND BILL!"
I ran down to where Bill and I always use to meet. People had already crowded the area, several people sat on top of the wall cheering.
I froze in place, staring at his back. I know that thin frame... his hair was longer and his shirt clung tightly to his body, I could imagine his pants doing the same.
"Bill..." As if he heard me his head turned to my direction. It felt like forever as we stared. His eyes gleamed at me.
"Angeline."
"BILL!" I pushed past many people and shoved my way to the front of the wall.
He held out a hand, a lifeline. "Take my hand!"
I felt like the smiles on our faces at this moment were the brightest they would ever be. People around us seemed to realize what was going on as I grabbed Bill's hand.

Two young men cupped their hands as stairs helping me up as Bill pulled my hand, setting me to his left side. Seated next to him, Bill put his hands on either side of my face and kissed me with all the passion we've been holding back for so long.
The crowd seem to cheer louder as I wrapped my arms around his neck and our tongues began dancing with each other to a lost song. His hands glided down to my waist, then my bare thighs sending a blush to coat my face, he made me feel warm and tingly all over.
"It's kind of cold to be wearing so little." He whispered, pulling away with reluctance, his eyes took on a drowsy love-drunk look.
I smiled softly placing my hand on my cheek. "Not when I have you to keep me warm."
He pressed his lips hard against mine.. The feeling of a ring being slipped on my finger, felt like fireworks! "Marry me?" He gasped, running fingers through my hair.
Between each and ever butterfly kiss planted on his features, I couldn't help but say, "Yes."
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried my best to make it meet up to Mibba's rule standards. I hope you guys enjoyed it..