‹ Prequel: You're My Backbone
Status: Active!

Forget It All

Don't Mind Me If I Get Weak In The Knees

I woke up due to the bus shaking back and forth. I rolled over in the unfamiliar, spare bunk and lightly hitting my head against the wall. I placed a hand on my forehead and closed my eyes gently. Today was to be spent on the bus and as appealing as that sounded, I wasn't quite sure what was to happen.

Before getting out of the bunk, I reached towards the end of it and dug through the small bag I packed and pulled out some clothes for the day. I walked through the quiet hallway and into the bathroom. I quickly changed into a tank-top and jeans then made my way into the front lounge.

Jared was the only one up. He held a small cup and the strong, delightful smell of coffee filled the aroma of the area. I sucked it all in and smiled, letting out a heavy breath.

"Early riser?" He inquired, raising an eyebrow and taking a sip of his cup.

"That depends," I shrugged. "what time is it?"

Jared cracked a smile and looked down at the watch on his wrist. "Ten thirty. Pretty early for this band."

I raised my eyebrows. "I could only imagine. All Time Low sleeps until at least two o'clock after a late night."

Jared laughed and stood up, walking towards me in the kitchen. "Want a cup?"

My eyes lit up and I eyed his cup. I inhaled the scent and my joints relaxed. "Oh man. You know it."

He grinned and walked over to the coffee pot, pulling out a cup for me and carefully pouring the hot liquid into it. Once he was done, he offered me the steaming cup.

"Careful. It's pretty hot."

I eagerly took the cup and raised it up to the tip of my nose. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the smell. I shuddered and took a sip.

"I guess it's true: college kids really do like coffee."

I chuckled lightly. "It relaxes me."

"Usually it had the opposite effect on people."

I smirked and walked over to the 'kitchen' table with Jared. I slipped into the couch opposite of his and sip my coffee in pure and utter happiness.

Jared and I stayed like that for some time. The bus was quiet; just the air conditioner blowing wind from the air vents and the occasional snore from my brother who was still passed out on the front lounge's couch.

Guess he didn't make it to the bunks last night.

I chuckled and shook my head, taking yet another sip. Jared looked over and pursed his lips. He sighed and shook his head as well. He then looked back at me.

"You know he really missed you."

It was like his words want straight into my mouth, down my esophagus and dropping right into the pit of my stomach. I swallowed hard and sucked in a breath. "I missed him to." I looked over at John- his lanky, goofy body was sprawled out across the couch taking up almost every inch.

It reminded of when we first moved to Tempe; our car ride there in fact. He was taking up every possible space, almost making it impossible for Ross and I to move.

"We all missed you June. A lot."

A pang of guilt hit me right in the heart, causing my eyes to flicker to Jared and then into my lap. I put down the cup of coffee, but my hand not leaving the hot cup burning my fingers.

I looked up. "I'm really sorry." I pressed my lips together.

What he did next surprised me. He shook his head and told me "Don't be."

I looked at him in amazement. Here Jared was, this amazing friend of mine and I somehow managed to loose him and make no whatsoever effort to reconnect with him.

He shrugged. "You were the best friend anyone could ask for. You stopped being friends with Darry just for the sake of me. I didn't even ask you to do it. You just knew."

I stared at him, not quite sure what to say exactly. The fact that he even mentioned Darry left me speechless.

"You didn't do anything wrong. I understand what happened; I really do."

I sucked in a breath. "I don't, uh- I, just." I stuttered with my words, completely unsure of what I wanted to even say in the first place.

"Garrett told me everything that happened," He then narrowed his eyes. "down to the very last detail."

And that's when I was just about to explode. Jared knew. He knew what I had said and why everything was so difficult.

Jared shrugged. "You loved him June. It was hard. I get it."

I sucked in a breath. "I don't.... even think.... I loved him." My words were steady and cautious, full of question and uncertainty.

Jared once again pursed his lips. "I think you did. It wouldn't have been as hard if you didn't."

I felt like an idiot. I clearly loved this guy who didn't love me back and it probably was obvious to everyone aside from myself and my brother. How fucking embarrassing.

"But here's the thing June, we love you. Me, Kenny and Pat- you're our best friend and we're so happy that you're in our lives again. I know I'm ecstatic," he sucked in a breath and then smiled. "I'm really just happy you're here."

I stifled a smile and got up from my seat. I slid next to Jared and hugged him from the side. "Thank you. Really."

He gently kissed the top of my forehead. "Anytime. I consider you my younger sister too you know."

I grinned. "Great. Another older brother."

Jared laughed and ruffled my hair. He paused for a moment before I got up from my seat. "Another thing," He began. "I know he's acting non-nonchalant and all that other bullshit, but trust me, Gare missed you too."

I bit my lip and slid back across from him, taking a quick sip of my coffee. "Did he now?"

"Yeah," He nodded his head and a wicked smirk presented itself upon his lips. "And I think you're doing the same thing as him."

My eyes widened as he got up from the table with his cup, wiggling his eyebrows and walking away from me.

I would never admit it, but he was right.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

By the time two thirty rolled around the guys were awake.

Everyone was in the front lounge chatting and relaxing; John and Jared watching television, Kennedy doing something on his phone while Pat tried to look on, and Garrett sitting at the table typing away on his laptop.

I sat next to John also watching the tv, but I wasn't fully there. Alex continued texting me- basically annoying the crap out of me. Part of me wished John would look over at the text and see who it was. That way John could get all protective brother on his Alex's ass and maybe, just maybe, the boy would leave me alone.

But that was stupid on account on two reasons. One being John was fully engulfed in the documentary on elephants in Africa playing. And two? In some crazy sense and way, Alex was my friend.

The elephants on the screen created a stampede and marched through a lake full of mud, causing some of the brown substance to splash up onto the camera being held. John snorted. "Must suck for that camera guy."

Other than that comment, John's eyes never left the screen. He was enthralled by the narrator's deep, soothing voice telling the story of 'Cheeka' the baby African elephant who came close to death when pushed into the back of the stampede and falling over with a nearby lion on the prowl.

"Fuck Cheeka; get your shit together." John mumbled under his breath, eyes glued to the screen.

I cocked an eyebrow and then glanced over at Jared. "I didn't realize he liked elephants this much." I whispered.

John was unfazed. But the second Cheeka stood up and continued on marching John flew onto his feet holding his hands in the air. He turned to me, his mouth wide open in a smile, cheering.

"Fuck yeah!" He jumped up and down. "Go! Go! Go!"

Cheeka ran to the front of the pack, reuniting with his mother, or so the narrator said. How do we really know it's true?

I didn't say this to John though; he was too happy. He plopped back down on the couch, completely content with himself and Cheeka. "God dammit, I knew he could do it."

"You sound like a proud parent." I pointed out.

"I am!"

"Oh sorry June, we forgot to tell you," Kennedy turned to me. "When we were in tour in Africa John met a splendid, young, gorgeous elephant who captured his heart. They got married and had a kid."

"So Cheeka's half elephant, half human?" I inquired.

Kenny nodded his head. "It's a rare case. Scientist are still trying to figure how John managed to stick his-"

I cut him off, throwing my hands up in the air. "Whoaaaa! Okay getting a little to much T.M.I."

He cringed and then laughed. "Sorry."

"Helen was the most spectacular...... elephant I had ever met. We shared so many great moments. She took my breath away. She had the most amazing,"

John paused and grinned at us.

"Smile."

The bus erupted in groans. I shook my head but couldn't help it and let out a light laugh. "Oh my god," I mumbled, still shaking my head. "first of all, we're talking about John breeding with an elephant."

I left that in the air for several seconds. Let everyone digest the insaneness of it all.

"Second of all," I turned to my brother. "please please please never- and I mean never, use your own lyrics when you're not actually singing the song."

Kennedy, Jared and Pat started to clap. I bowed and smirked at John who simply chuckled.

About an hour later, the bus was taking a stop to fill up on gas. Much to our pleasure, there was a Panera Bread next to the station. Therefore we would be able to get up, stretch our legs, and most importantly, have lunch.

The other tour busses were stopped at station as well. We met up with the A Rocket To The Moon guys and made our way inside Panera.

"Whatcha gonna get?" Halvo snuck up behind me.

I shrugged. "Not too sure yet. You?"

Halvo and I were cut off by John who wrapped his arms around our shoulders and smiled gleefully. "Look at us! Reunited! It's like high school all over again!"

I rolled my eyes. "But high school sucked."

Garrett who stood in front of us on line scoffed. Without turning around he muttered, "You got that right."

John, Halvo and my eyes flickered to Garrett and stayed on his back. I turned to John, who shrugged and made a face. A light sigh escaped my lips and my shoulders dropped.

Halvo chuckled at something behind me. "I think Alex is trying to get your attention June."

I spun around on my heel to discover the one and only Alex Gaskarth smiling and waving at me. I sheepishly waved back.

I turned around back to Halvo to find that John was now elsewhere. Halvo smirked at me and raised his eyebrows.

"What?" I asked, dryly.

"You and Gaskarth?"

"Never." I rolled my eyes.

Eric shrugged and sucked in a breath. "Yeah I guess I could see that. You're more conserved... he's a little... uh,"

"I think the word you're looking for is wild."

"Yeah," He nodded his head. "That's it. Definitely."

I chuckled and looked up at the menu. It was then that I realized Garrett was still standing in front of us and had probably heard everything. My stomach sank and I was suddenly genuinely upset that he heard us.

"But either way, he's a nice guy. And I'd say he's into you."

"We're good friends."

"You and Garrett were good friends."

His words almost stung me. A pang in the chest was all it took to make me feel like complete and utter shit. My eyes shot straight to the head in front of me. I elbowed Halvo with as much force as I had and shot him a look.

"Shit," He hissed and covered his mouth.

I closed my eyes and bit my lip. Fuck.

Of course, right then and there Alex had to make an appearance. "Hey Halvo. Hey June."

"Hi," We muttered together, avoiding contact.

"So, how was The Maine's bus? Not any better than ours right?" He grinned.

Something was caught in my throat and the second Garrett turned around giving me a smile and saying, "Yeah June. Who has the more entertaining bus?" I was sure I was going to choke.

But thank fucking god for Halvo.

"Oh come on guys. We all know A Rocket To The Moon's bus is much better. There's no competition."

And with that, the attention was off me.

I quickly ordered my food after Garrett, despite him still listing the advantages of why The Maine's bus is better.

I slide into a booth next to Harper, who sat alone probably waiting for Matt to join her.

"God fucking save me." I seethed, leaning my head on her shoulders and closing my eyes.

"Deep breaths girl. You'll make it through."

I sucked in a deep breath and sat upright. I ran a hand through my hair and tapped my feet anxiously. "Everything was going smoothly up until ten minutes ago."

"What happened?"

"Alex happened."

"Shit."

"I know."

Harper patted me on the back lightly. "Whatever he's doing- ignore him."

"Halvo thinks he likes me and went on about it. Meanwhile fucking Garrett was standing right in front of us and then Alex had to come over and oh my god- ugh!"

"He flirts with anything that breathes."

"And that is causing me a lot of problems."

Harper clicked her tongue. "Hate to break it to you, but your ex is constantly looking over here."

My eyes flicked open and I found Garrett's eyes on me at the table across from us. He sat with Halvo, Kenny, Pat and Andrew. He looked away and took a bite of his sandwich. I groaned loudly.

"And here comes Alex," Harper stated.

"Shit. Fuck my life." I whimpered.

Alex slide into the booth across from us. He grinned at me. Jack followed suit, taking a seat next to Alex.

"Wait," I looked around. "Where's Matt?"

"On the bus," Jack answered, taking a bite of his food. "Paper work. All that shit."

I glanced over at Harper, her eyes glossy and suddenly felt like the worst person in the world. Here I am, complaining about practically nothing next to her relationship with Matt. I wanted to comfort her and tell her everything would be okay but that was nearly impossible with the guys around.

"I have to go to the bathroom," I blurted out and then turned to Harper. "wanna come?"

She knew what I was getting at and nodded her head. She followed me as I walked away, not taking a second glance at either Garrett or Alex along the way.

We rushed into the bathroom and I engulfed her in a hug. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there Harper."

She shook her head. "Don't be," She squeaked. "he's just.... busy, you know?"

I nodded my head and bit my lip. I didn't know what to do. How could I help her? I had all these petty problems while she had a once strong, lasting relationship slowly falling to pieces.

"Could I just be alone for a little bit?"

"Of course."

I left Harper in the bathroom, contemplating whether that was the right thing to do or not. I sighed heavily and walked out, nearly bumping into someone walking out of the men's room next door.

"Whoa," The red head that I recognized as Nick from A Rocket To The Moon laughed.

"Sorry 'bout that."

"No problem. My fault."

An awkward and uncomfortable silence fell upon us. I glanced around and sucked in a breath. "How has your day been?" I asked, immediately feeling stupid afterwards.

"Well, I was in a bus for most of it, so...." He shrugged.

"Yeah. Not fun."

Nick bit his lip and then his shoulders slumped. "Okay, I'm sorry but I have to say something."

I held out my hands. "Go ahead."

"You're extremely pretty."

My face heated up and I stared at him in shock. I wasn't used to being called pretty- I had never been. Even this past year when I made out with a couple random guys at parties, not one of them tried to seduce me by giving off compliments. I think the last time I was even called pretty was at prom.

"Oh," My mouth form an 'O' and I couldn't quite get myself back to normal. I swallowed and nodded my head. "Thank you."

He bit his lip and sucked in a breath. "I'm sorry if I've been weird it's just that I wanted to get that out." He chuckled softly.

I shrugged."It's fine."

He then licked his lip. "I'm gonna get in big trouble, aren't I?"

"Who? You? No way." I laughed. "I'm not going to tell John. I promise."

"Whew." He laughed. "That's a relief."

"I wouldn't subject you to that torture."

"Well, thank you." He nodded his head and began to walk away. He stopped for a second and turned around. "You went out with Garrett right?"

I nodded my head. "Yeah."

"Good thing you two broke up. A lot of guys would be disappointed." He winked and walked away.

What?
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit!
Thank you for the comments last chapter! I seriously love all of you! :)
This chapter is pretty long! I think at least.
Hope you liked it!