Status: Working on the next chapter. Just need to find time to write down all of my ideas. Thanks!

Love at First Fright

Mikey's new love, Rayna's old life

*Rayna's P.O.V*

I was in shock, Mikey had not only gotten a girlfriend but he was engaged on top of everything! He had been my best friend since high school and now he was going behind my back and getting engaged. When was I supposed to be told this? If we hadn't of come to Vegas for this tour was he even going to let me know at all or was I going to have to be told through a wedding invitation?
"Ray? You okay? You look like you're about to get sick."
I shook myself out of my delusion and looked up at Chris who had taken a few steps towards me. It then dawned on me that I had been staring at the ground after Mikey had introduced us to Krista.
"Yeah sorry, I guess I have a little road sickness I'll be fine. Just gonna enjoy the fresh air you guys go on inside."
Chris shot me a look of worry before I motioned for him to go in the house. Slowly they all went into the house just leaving Joey, still carrying Eric, and me outside in the hot Vegas sun.
"Babe, you okay? You really do look sick."
I nodded and told him to take Eric inside to go swimming in Chris's pool. As soon as Eric heard the word pool he started wiggling on Joey's shoulders making me chuckle a little bit. Joey leaned in and kissed me on the cheek before turning to go inside the house with everyone else. Before opening the door he looked over his shoulder and said, "I love you."
I smiled and blew him a kiss as he went into the house leaving me alone. I walked over to Mikey's truck and sat on the bed looking across the street at the house that was almost identical to Chris's. I sat there for what seemed like hours just staring at the house. I hadn't seen this house since I moved out of Chris's place to live with Derick.
I had almost forgotten that I had grown up there. It only felt like home when my father was still alive. After he passed it was just a place I lived. All of the love had left as soon as my father had. The morning I woke up to see that my mother had abandoned me was morning I will never forget.
*All night I could hear mom and her friends laughing, drinking and probably shooting up. Ever since dad died everything went downhill. I couldn't look at her the same. She had a different man in the house pretty much every week. She wasn't even like my mother anymore she literally disgusted me.
I rolled over on my bed to see that it was nearly noon. The entire house was silent which was weird for it being a Saturday. Usually around this time mom was already awake and yelling at me to start cleaning or something. Instead it was complete and utter silence which was a bit un-nerving.
I slowly got up from my bed and left the room calling out for my mother once I was in the hallway. Despite my loud yells she didn’t answer. I looked all through the house and she was nowhere to be seen and it looked as though all of her clothes were gone. There was no note, her car was gone as was all of the money in our savings jar. She was gone…*
I was snapped out of my memory when I felt warm tears running down my face. I wiped them away before turning to see Mikey standing beside the truck. He wasn’t watching me thankfully instead he was looking at the house also.
“You know Ray, you’re nothing like your mother. You’re a good woman and Krista…well she’s a lot like you.”
I buried my face in my hands as Mikey walked over and sat beside me before wrapping his arm around my shoulders holding me close to him. He gently rocked me back and forth as I began to stop crying letting the painful memories of being abandoned leave my head so I could turn my attention on the matter at hand. Mikey’s engagement to this unknown girl.
“How long have you known her?”
“3 months.”
“Where’d you guys meet?”
“After a local acoustic show we did.”
“Why do you like her?”
“God damn Rayna. What’s up with all the fucking questions? I haven’t committed a crime. I found a girl, started dating her and asked her to marry me. Is that such a fucking sin?”
I looked up at him in shock. Mikey had never spoken to me like this. He was always such a gentle person even after we broke up.
“No it’s not a sin. But, why didn’t you tell me?”
He just shrugged and ran his hand through his hair making it curl out at the ends a little bit. For some reason I always liked when his hair did this. It reminded me of when he was in high school, he looked so young with his hair al messy.
With a loud sigh he just said, “Why didn’t you tell me about Joey at first?”
He had a point and I knew it. I watched him slowly turn his gaze over to me. I couldn’t look at his golden eyes especially when I knew he had a point. He didn’t know I had left Derick, met Joey, and was dating Joey, or anything until we saw each other in Germany. That had been the first time I had seen him since I had first started dating Derick.
“Mikey, you know why I didn’t…”
“No! Don’t start that shit with me Ray!”
I watched as he got up and stood right in front of me pacing side to side.
“Look I know Derick didn’t want you to talk to me and Chris but, as soon as you were done with him you should have called me! I shouldn’t have found out however many months later on coincidence. I mean, what if we hadn’t been opening for SlipKnoT? Hmm? Was I ever going to hear from you again? Fuck Rayna…I fucked missed you…I fucking loved you.”
I couldn’t even say a word as Mikey stopped and stared at me. His golden brown eyes were filling with tears as he took a few steps closer to me.
“I still love you, but I am in love with Krista. She reminds me of you. Beautiful, stubborn, smart and just an all-around good person.”
I nodded before sighing and looking down at my lap. I knew I had to accept Krista. If Mikey was happy I had to be for him as well. He was happy for me and he supported me in everything I did and I knew I had to do that for him.
“I’m sorry…for everything…I know what you mean by it just happened. I can’t lose you guys again.”
He smirked a bit before grabbing me in a tight hug and telling me we needed to get inside before all the beer was gone. I laughed a little as arm in arm we walked into Chris’s house. As we entered the living room I noticed that not much had changed. Chris still had his guitars on stands beside the couch, magazines strewn on the coffee table and his boots on the floor by the door.
Mikey hugged me again before telling me he was going to find Krista. I nodded as he went out the sliding glass door that led to the backyard and pool area. I slowly walked over to the wall of pictures laughing at most of them. Chris’s high school senior photo, my high school senior photo, a bunch of Taking Dawn pictures, a few of me and Chris growing up, my wedding photo, me and Chris on my wedding day as he walked me down the aisle and a few others with friends, family and bands he had toured with.
I was glad Chris had kept this house when his parents moved away from Vegas. After my mother abandoned me the Babbitts had taken me in as their own daughter. Since both of us never had siblings it was nice to finally have someone my own age. I smirked a little when I saw one of Chris and me right after Joey had proposed on tour. I was still red from crying and Chris was holding me bridal style in front of the huge banner that said, “Congrats Joey and Rayna!”
I knew I couldn’t lose these guys. They weren’t just friends they were my family and Krista was just going to be another addition. I trusted Mikey enough to be able to pick a great girl.
I quickly went to the bathroom and changed into my bathing suit (a bikini top and board shorts) before making my way to the backyard area. Wednesday was standing in the shallow end of the pool dunking Eric, Roman, Jack, Jason and Andrew were all hanging around the food while Joey, Chris, Mikey and Krista all hung by the other end of the pool chatting about something. I guessed it was tonight’s show since Joey was doing air guitar with one hand.
I made my way quietly over to where they were making sure only Joey and Chris saw me. At first I went to place my hands on Mikey and push him into the pool but, I decided not to. I knew exactly who needed to get soaked. So, I quickly pushed Krista right into the pool sending a shriek from her and everyone else into a roar of laughter even Mikey. When she came up from the water for air I laughed at her soaking wet brown hair.
“Welcome to the family Kris.”
She laughed a little bit before swimming over the edge asking for a little bit of help. Reluctantly I offered her my arm and of course, she pulled me in with her. When I came up everyone was still busting a gut from laughter.
“Thanks Ray.”
We both laughed as Joey and Mikey helped us out of the pool. As Chris handed us both a towel I looked over at Mikey, who was holding a shivering Krista, as he mouthed, “Thank you.” I nodded before hugging Joey tightly letting his hair tickle my neck.
“Talk with Mikey?”
I nodded as Joey turned and faced me.
“Proud of you babe.”
I smiled as he pressed his lips firmly to mine.
I knew everything was going to be okay. My best friend was in love and I was proud of him for finally settling down. He deserved it, and from what I could tell they were perfect for each other.
After a little bit everyone got out of their pool clothes and went inside to relax a bit before tonight’s show. I was more that excited for it. It seemed like forever since I had seen Joey perform. I missed the adrenaline I got from watching them walk onstage and do their thing. I always loved watching them play. It was a rush I never got anywhere else. Tonight was going to be a great start to the tour.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long but here it is finally!!!