Unpretty

one

Alana Scott and Eric Halvorsen used to be best friends. They grew up together, their houses only separated by two blocks. Both mothers swore the two would get married someday. They trusted one another always and shared secrets they were too frightened to tell anyone else. But that was exactly what tore them apart.

At the conclusion of their last year of high school, Eric hadn’t talked to her in almost four years. He saw her in the halls and in classes, but his eyes averted away from her quickly upon recognizing her green eyes. He never admitted it, but he longed to have her in his life again.

He got good at pretending he didn’t miss her though. He even started to be great at pretending he was angry with her. He joined in on the conversations about how much she’d changed, but he didn’t blame her like most of his friends did. He knew better.

With only one month left of school and the aspiration of taking his music career far, Eric’s hopes of ever reuniting his friendship with her were slowly dwindling. That is until one morning when he walked down the hall and spotted her slender frame standing beside another girl. His heart thumped in his chest, but his expression soured.

“Jess?” He called her name a little louder than necessary. Both girls turned toward him. Alana’s cheeks turned a light pink as she fixed her eyes on the ground carefully. As he stepped closer, he noticed the makeup caked onto her face that hid most of her blush. His stomach tied in knots as he wondered how many bruises she was hiding with the layers of foundation.

Alana fumbled with her book bag as she turned to the blond with a frown. “I’ll see you later, Jess.” She mumbled before scurrying off in the direction of the library. The blond shouted a goodbye in response before scowling at the boy left in front of her.

“What’s your deal, Halvo?” Jess placed one hand on her hip and arched her eyebrows.

“My deal?” He snorted and rolled his eyes. He was almost getting too good at faking the hatred for his ex-bestfriend. “What’s up with you and her?” He nodded in the direction Alana had gone in. He still didn’t like to say her name. “Why were you talking to her?”

Jess shook her head and pulled a textbook from her locker before slamming the door. “You know, you’re the last person I expected to turn on her.” She disbelievingly looked him over.

I turned on her?” He repeated incredulously and followed Jess as she started to walk down the hall. “As I recall, it was her that locked everybody out.”

Jess stopped short and glared at him. “Friends don’t just give up, Halvo. That’s why I was talking to her. Because I still believe the good, honest-hearted Alana is in there somewhere. She just needs a little help.”

Eric sneered. “Don’t act like I haven’t offered her help.”

“Right, because screaming at her and lying to her is so helpful.” His façade almost fell completely as he remembered the last time he actually did talk to Alana. Jess shook her head and ran a hand through her hair as she sighed. “Listen, she came to me this morning and said she needed some help for this project thing for the talent show, mkay? I don’t want to fight with you, but she used to be my friend too, you know? I miss her. And unlike you, I am still trying to get her back.” With that, the blond turned and walked away.

Eric stood in the hall. The sorrow threatened to overtake him, to destroy him and bring him down to tears right there. He swallowed and did the only thing he’d learned that would push the awful feelings away. He got angry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Women being battered is not acceptable in any form or at any age. Just because I write about it, does not mean I find it acceptable either. This is a subject that is serious. If you or someone you know needs help, reach out. xooxEmber.