Unpretty

three

Eric’s phone vibrated in his pocket, interrupting the perfect peaceful dinner he was sharing with his best friend. He apologized and pulled it out, smiling as she emphasized that there wasn’t anything to apologize for. She went about eating while he read over the text. “It’s John.”

Her eyes widened. “Oh, please invite them to come eat with us! I haven’t seen John Oh in forever, and I only got to talk to Mel for like two seconds before. Please tell them to come.” She pleaded.

“Sure.” Eric begrudgingly gave in. He didn’t want to share her with anyone really, but he couldn’t say no to her either. He sent a quick text back to John and then turned his attention to her again, to soak up every last second he had alone with her.

Alana giggled. “Why are you staring at me?” She started to blush as she pushed her food around her plate.

Eric chuckled too and shook his head. “I just can’t help it.” He sighed as their eyes connected. “You’ve changed so much.” The sentence slipped out. It was in such a different tone and a completely different conversation than the sentence had been in for so long, but it still made both of them frown.

She dropped her eyes to the table and pouted slightly. “I know.” She placed her fork down and let her hands fall to her lap. “I hate it too. I’m not,” she paused and glanced at him. “I’m not me anymore.”

He wanted to protest and tell her how amazing she was, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t lie to her. Sure, she was still gorgeous, but there was something more that Alana always had and Eric could see she was missing it now.

She sighed heavily and shrugged her shoulders, before slightly smirking. “I think I’m going to pierce my nose.”

He snorted. “Really?”

“Maybe.” She shrugged again. “Maybe when I go out to California, I’ll get it done.”

He nearly choked on the soda he was taking a sip of. He coughed for quite some time before turning his worried eyes to hers. “You’re going to California?” Her demeanor turned nervous. “When?”

“Well, I was thinking, since I’m graduating early an-” he held his hand up and she stopped mid-word.

“You’re graduating early?” His eyebrows raised and she giggled again while nodding.

“Yeah, I’ve been doing really well in school, surprisingly. I’ve already taken my G.E.D. test and I should be getting my results back sometime next week. If I pass, then I don’t have to go to school for the last month. It’s not that early, but it would give me time to get away.”

“Away to California.” He continued for her and she smiled softly.

“I know this seems sudden, but I think it’s best for me to get out of this town. Everyone still looks at me like I’m some crazy lost child.” She rolled her eyes. “And California is so beautiful. Remember when John’s mom took us all to the beach that one weekend and we got to walk the boardwalk?”

Eric laughed. “And we got sunburned so bad we looked like tomatoes.” They both nodded and laughed some more at the memories. It wasn’t until the laughter died down that it all caught up to him. He sighed. “I don’t want you to go.”

“Aw,” she frowned and stood up quickly, coming over to his side of the booth. She wrapped her arms around his neck and held on tight. “I wish I could take you with me. I’ve missed you so much. But we can still keep in touch, better than before, right?” She pulled back and bit her bottom lip as she stared at him. She looked more like a lost, hurt puppy than he’d ever seen her. His heart broke, so he smiled and faked it.

“Of course. I’ll come visit you all the time too.” Eric grinned as she hugged him again. He let his arms wrap around her and hold her close. He did still have a week before he partially lost her to the sweet, sunny California.

John and Mel entered the dinner and immediately spotted the two in their embrace. Mel squealed before rushing over, dragging John behind her. “Oh my god, Alana! You sounded so amazing!” She gushed as pulled Alana away from Eric so she could hug her too.

“I didn’t know you had lungs like that, Alana.” John winked and chuckled he hugged her too.

“I’m not that impressive, but thanks guys. I’m really happy you came.” Alana reached over and grabbed Eric’s hand under the table. “I know I didn’t deserve it, but I’m glad you guys still loved me enough to at least give me the chance to—,” Eric squeezed her hand and John shook his head, signaling for her to stop talking.

“Of course we came, idiot.” He joked. “We’ve all been hoping you’d come to your senses and lose that jackass since the first month you started dating him.”

“Thanks for making me feel loved, O’Callaghan.” Alana smirked at him. “You’re a real doll.”

“We all know that too.” He confidently smirked back at her and the four all burst out laughing. The waitress came by to take John and Mel’s orders and to refill Alana and Eric’s glasses.

Eric took the moment and leaned over. His lips brushed against her ear, making her giggle from the tickle, as he whispered the comforting and soft words. “I love you Alana Scott.”

Her stomach erupted in butterflies she hadn’t felt in four years. She smiled at him as he sat back and stretched to put his arm around her shoulders. She didn’t reply as she was drawn into conversation with Mel and John again. She didn’t have to reply with her words anyway. After four years of not talking, he could still read her like the back of his hand and a simple “I love you too” in her eyes was all he needed.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is part three of four, meaning there's only one left : ) any thoughts? xooxEmber.