We Were So Young and Invincible

"So where do you want to go, Cassie?" asked Dad.

"I don't know, " I smiled, "What are my options?"

"Well, we can go out for dinner, or the amusement park, or the beach...?" said my Mom.

"I think dinner. The amusement park with my parents? That screams loser. The beach would be fine, you know, but I'm just not in the mood" I shrugged.

"Loser you say? Well then, I guess dinner it is" chuckled my Dad.

We made reservations at a local family diner.

"Now Cassie, there's something your mother and I need to tell you" said my father.

Oh no, I've heard of these situations. A divorce? But they looked so happy! I mean this can't be happening. Oh my god, are they going to ask me who I want to live with? I can't pick between the two! I love them both -

"We're not your biological parents," said my Mom.

"What? Ha, this has got to be a joke right?" I said panicking.

"Now Cassie, we weren't sure if it was the right time, but I think - we think you're old enough" said my Mom softly.

"No, no, no this can't be happening!" I got up and ran out of the restaurant.

My 'parents' called after me but I kept running. I ran and ran. Why is this happening? I suddenly heard honking and turned around.

"Cassie get in the car," said my mom.

"No," I said stubbornly.

"Cassie, please," begged my Mom.

When we got home I ran to my room. I changed into jeans and a tee. Before leaving my room I picked up a hoodie. I went downstairs.

"Cassie, come in the kitchen. We'll talk about it" called my Dad.

I put my shoes on and slammed the door.
  1. I