Only Exception

04

“No!” shouted Klaus. Moving quickly he caught Victoria before she hit the ground. He knew she was dead but he didn’t want to believe it. Gazing upon her soft, delicate features he could even imagine she was sleeping. But her neck and head looked in an odd position and he had to face the truth. Klaus turned gave his father a pure look of hatred.

“You will not defy me,” said his father. “I said ‘no one will know about us’ and then you bring this tramp into our house. Next time, maybe you’ll listen.” He moved past Klaus and out of the room without a backwards glance.

Klaus looked up at the rest of his family. His mother hid her face as she exited the room after his father. The rest of his siblings stood there for a few second longer. Some still held that disdain for Klaus but others were simply neutral. One by one they exited the room leaving Klaus alone with Victoria’s body. It was now quickly losing warmth.

Effortlessly lifting her body in his arms he carried her out of the room, out of the house, and into the night. He traveled into the woods, going at a slow walking pace. He didn’t want to do what he had to do. Normally his victims would be left there to rot or become a crime scene.

But he couldn’t do that to Victoria. She had been the only one who had stood there and watched as the curse was put on him. She was the only one who hadn’t cringed away in fear at the sight of him. And as much as it had bothered him he had also admired her bravery. She had willingly let him take her blood. She was a remarkable human being, one he hadn’t seen before.

And maybe, just maybe he had been starting to like her. She was beautiful. She was kind. She was free-spirited. But now she was gone and all because of his father.

When he was far enough into the forest he gently laid her body down on the ground. Her body was now cold as one would expect from death. I pushed the hair out of her face to gaze at her face one last time. Just then her eyes flew open. She seemed to stare at nothing until her lungs took in a huge gulp of air.

Instantly she was on her side coughing. It almost seemed like she was going to be sick. I held her gently until she finally stopped and was breathing normally. Her tear stained eyes turned to meet mine in amazement. She was alive and breathing.

“How?” she asked simply. Her voice was soft and quiet, almost afraid.

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “How do you feel?” I helped her sit up and she clutched her head.

“I feel…different. Everything seems more in focus and I can hear much better than before.” She rubbed her neck feeling for where my father had broken it. “I feel hungry,” she said suddenly. Her eyes snapped to mine and she stood up. Her movements were graceful, quick and purposeful. It was then I realized what had happened.

“It can’t be,” I murmured in disbelief. Never before had this happened and the witches told us nothing about this. I stood up to examine her fully.

“What?” she asked. She was slightly annoyed by my scrutiny.

“You’re a vampire,” I stated simply. No sense in beating around the bush.

“What?” she asked again more sharply.

“Somehow you’ve become a vampire. After my father killed you…” I trailed off going deep into thought. How had this happened? Why had this happened now? We’ve killed plenty so far and none of them have turned. They had stayed dead. Why was she different?

“Klaus, I’m hungry,” she whined stamping her foot. I smirked thinking of how her personality had already changed. Before she had been timid but now she was more forceful, feisty.

“I’ll get you something to eat, sweetheart,” I promised. I held out my hand to her. Slowly she took it and I grasped her tight. Her skin was still cool. She needed blood in her. Then she’d warm up. “Follow me.” I turned and began leading her through the forest.

“Where are we going?” she asked.

“Be patient,” I chastised. “You’ll see soon enough.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of switched from 3rd person to 1st person in the middle of this chapter. Sorry about that :/