Only Exception

06

Ten Years Later
I faked a laugh as the hostess of the party tried to be funny. Really she was incredibly dull and small minded. But she was also very rich and had a lot of power in the city. Therefore everyone found her hilarious.

I looked around hoping to catch a sign on Klaus. Even ten years later and every time I saw him my heart would jump. I still felt completely drawn to him. As I was searching the crowd my eyes landed upon another man. He was at the edge of the party, keeping to himself. He was drinking out of a glass, no doubt liquor of some sort.

Something about him though irked me. There was something in the back of my mind that wanted to come forward but I couldn’t figure out what it was. I was staring at the man trying to figure out what it was when he suddenly turned and stared right at me.

Recognition seemed to cross his face at the same time I remembered who he was. Anger flashed over his features. At his anger I felt a cold fear travel through me. Immediately I turned away and walked off at a brisk pace. I had to find Klaus.

“Klaus,” I sighed in relief as I finally located him. I came up to him and hooked my arm through his. He smiled at me, pleased to see me but surprise was hidden in his eyes. He could tell I was rattled. “Sorry, men,” I apologized to the group he had been talking to. “I need to steal him away for a moment.” I bowed courteously before practically towing Klaus away.

As soon as we were away from the eyes and ears of the others I turned to him and clasped his arms in worry. “Klaus, he is here,” I said. “Your brother.”

Klaus visibly paled at the mention of his brother. “How is he here?” he whispered more to himself. His eyes traveled back to another time or place in which I couldn’t follow. His thoughts dragged him away from reality. But I needed him here.

“Klaus, what are we going to do?” I practically cried. The stress and worry in my voice snapped him out of it. His whole atmosphere changed as he assessed and dealt with the situation.

“We must get you out of here. He cannot know you’re alive.” He grabbed my arm ready to pull me away from the party.

“He already knows,” spoke a voice from the entryway. Leaning against the frame was one of Klaus’ brothers. “How could you keep this from us, brother?” he said spitting out the word like it was tainted.

Klaus pulled me behind him so he was almost directly shielding me. “Leave us be,” said Klaus. His voice was heavy with an unspoken threat. I could feel the tension in the increase almost suffocating me.

“You know Father thinks she’s dead. He will not be pleased to know she’s alive.” An arrogant smirk crossed his brother’s face.

“Then don’t tell him,” said Klaus simply.

“I have no urge to anger Father. You know how his temper can be. And he will be very upset when he finds she is alive. I’d rather not have it directed at me.” He sneered at Klaus practically disgusted with him.

In a flash Klaus ran up and hit his brother. Caught by surprise he flew and hit the opposite wall with a loud bang. In a flash he was up again looking murderous. “Victoria, please fetch someone for me,” said Klaus sounding oddly calm.

I dashed out of the room and past his brother as fast as I could move. I slowed once I reached the partygoers again. There was a maiden apart from the crowd and I zeroed in on her. I came up to her and she turned to look at me in surprise. “Come with me,” I said, easily compelling her. I had no time for tricks. Klaus could already be dead.

As I pulled her into the room, Klaus and his brother were still battling it out. They seemed even in skill and strength. “I have brought her,” I said over the sounds of their struggle. It’s a wonder no one had come upon them yet.

Without saying anything Klaus pushed his brother away from him in a surge of strength. In that time second he had to spare he tossed me a bundle he had under his coat. I caught it easily. It was a piece of cloth bound tightly with string. Opening it I noticed a bottle and a dagger.

“Dip the dagger in the bottle,” Klaus said through gritted teeth. He punched his brother across the jaw but it didn’t seem to faze him at all. He continued to snap at Klaus’ throat. “Then have her plunge the dagger into his chest.”

Klaus moved and threw his brother onto the ground as I rapidly dipped the dagger into the bottle. Klaus barely seemed to hold his brother down as they both were snarling and hissing at each other. I shoved the dagger into the girls’ hand. “Victoria,” said Klaus sounding desperate. I looked over to see that his brother was slowly gaining the upper hand.

“Plunge the dagger into his chest,” I compelled the girl. She nodded and then like she was sleepwalking walked over to the brothers. I don’t know what it was but she was able to walk straight up to them. I think Klaus’ brother was too lost in the rage that consumed him to fully focus. He didn’t even glance over at the girl as she walked up right behind him.

With a quick and sharp movement she stabbed him right in the back. I gasped as his brother’s struggles instantly stopped. He gasped and made a choking sound as his skin began to change color. It grayed like he was decaying. His veins became more prominent under his skin. And then he stilled and fell to the floor.

Klaus stood up and dusted himself off. “Return to the party. You remember none of this,” he compelled the girl. She turned and moved off without saying anything. Straightening his jacket, Klaus turned to me. “Thank you,” he said.

“Is he dead?” I asked in shock.

“No,” said Klaus. “He is only temporarily. If the dagger is pulled out of his back then he will reawaken. It’s imperative that it stays in place.”

“How do you know this?” I said gesturing towards the body. I meant everything not just pulling the dagger out.

“I’ve consulted a few witches over the years. They weren’t very willing to help me at first. They called me an abomination and wanted to kill me. But after bargaining with them and the prospect of more knowledge they agreed. I’ve had them look into the spell surrounding my family.”

“How come you didn’t tell me?” I asked.

“Because I didn’t want you to become involved. I suspected this day would come sooner or later, I hoped never. But I wanted to be prepared if it did. I wanted to be able to protect us.”

“You could have told me,” I said forcefully.

“I didn’t want you involved,” said Klaus coming over to me and taking my hands. “The witches didn’t think I should be alive. How do you think they’d react if they knew I had created another? They probably would refuse to help and destroy us. I couldn’t run the risk.”

“But you could have told me.” I wasn’t budging on this.

“Yes, I suppose I could have,” admitted Klaus. “Just don’t expect to be invited to any witch meetings.” He sent me a hesitant smile.

Drawing in a deep breath, I smiled back. I couldn’t stay mad at him forever. I couldn’t stay mad at him at all really. I loved him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I didn't like Klaus for a bit. I mean he did kill his mother. But then I found a soft spot for him again. He just didn't want to be alone which again gave me the purpose for writing this story. Plus his father saying "Nobody cares about you anymore." And obviously the gif I posted. Both those things broke my heart for Klaus.

Updates will probably be more frequent as I write in here to find TVD entertainment over this long hiatus.