Only Exception

07

Klaus picked his brother up and slung him over his shoulder. With the dagger sticking out of his back, things did not look good at all. We took the back way out of the house. I compelled the couple of people that we ran into.

We got outside into a back alley. “Go get the driver,” I told Klaus. “I can watch him.” Klaus didn’t move though but simply placed his brother’s body on the ground.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea,” he said gently as if to not hurt my feelings.

“Klaus, what can he do? He’s dead.” I put my hands on my hips waiting for his argument.

“Only as long as the dagger is in him. If it comes out, then he’ll wake up.”

“Who’s going to pull it out?” I asked. “Not me. Everyone knows the guy gets the carriage.” Klaus sighed knowing I was right and we were wasting valuable time.

“I’ll be right back,” said Klaus and ran off into the night.

Image

“All set,” said Klaus as he closed the casket. He’d put his brother in there for safe keeping. He didn’t want his brother dead forever. After some time he hoped they could actually be brothers again.

Image

“Victoria, you must pack your things,” said Klaus. He had come to my chamber in the large house that we had.

“Why?” I asked as I turned in the mirror, admiring myself from all angles.

“It is quite urgent that you do so. Now would be the best time for us to leave.”

“Klaus, why?” I turned to him, my eyes wide with worry.

“My father has found out about my brother.” I froze in whatever movement I had. I simply stared at Klaus barely processing this thought. I did not like Mikael. He scared me terribly.

“How?” I simply asked.

“That I do not know. But that is not what is important.” He strode forward and took my face in his hands. “We need to get out of here, sweetheart. I cannot risk you.”

I nodded and Klaus released me to pack my things. Klaus went to his own room. Luckily vampire speed allowed me to have my bags packed and ready in 10 minutes. I was at the door waiting for Klaus for five minutes. When he finally came down he still looked slightly panicked.

“Let’s go,” he said and picked up my belongings along with his own. He carried them out to the waiting carriage. It was a horrible night. It was pouring rain and there was a chill in the air. As we walked outside I felt that something was off. Something didn’t seem right.

I watched Klaus put the bags in the carriage while I stood out in the pouring rain. Klaus opened up the carriage door and gestured for me to go in. I peered around in the darkness feeling an eerie sensation creep up on me. This didn’t feel right. “Victoria, we have to go now,” said Klaus.

I pulled myself away from the forest and got inside the carriage. Klaus quickly followed the driver snapped the reins. The horses neighed quietly and then we began to move. I could hear the rain hitting the roof of the carriage and it made it hard to hear other sounds. “Victoria, we’re going to be alright,” promised Klaus. “I won’t let anything happen to you.”

Image

We ran constantly for the next three hundred years. We never stayed in one place for longer than five years at most. It was horrible to do. Neither of us could relax. I was constantly looking over my shoulder. Eventually Klaus’ sister Rebekah came to join us. She set me on edge but I liked that it wasn’t so much just Klaus and I against Mikael. We had another original now.

Klaus’ other brother, Elijah came in now and again. He’d stay for a few years and then move off on his own. I don’t think either of them knew about Klaus’ other brother. There was no way they could. They’d probably turn against Klaus. The only reason they hated Mikael was because he had killed Klaus’ mother. Or at least that’s the story that Klaus told them.

I knew he had actually killed his own mother. After she had abandoned him and left him to die. She had put a curse on her own son. It was horrible to think about. She had turned her back on her own child. What mother could do such a thing? Especially with a child whose heart was a large as his? He loved so deeply and if he cared about you, he’d die to protect you.

Image

I was out getting groceries at the market when it happened. I was completely taken by surprise. I had no way of protecting myself. I was alone. It was as I was carrying my bags back to the carriage that I was grabbed. I was pulled into a side alley, away from prying eyes.

I was slammed against a brick wall and I felt blood leak from my head. I snarled forcefully as I took in my attacker. Who I saw sent a chill down my spine. I immediately sobered up and my anger dissipated. Instead I was shrouded in fear.

“Hello, sweetheart,” he said mocking the word. He grinned triumphantly as he held me. “You’ve given me quite the chase haven’t you?”

“Mikael,” was all I managed to choke out. Next I was injected with a large dose of vervain. I choked as it spread through my veins and began to immobilize me. My body slumped as I succumbed to its weakening properties.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I kind of hit a road block with this story. I don't know how much longer it will be either. I don't really know where to go with it and such. :/ I hope you enjoy the update and I didn't lose too many of my wonderful readers