Only Exception

09

My idea ended up working. We both agreed that it was the best thing for us and that, while it may be painful, in the end it was worth it. So with that in mind, I was sent to live in a cottage in the Russian wilderness. It was a pretty desolate area and many miles until the nearest town. Nobody ever came out here. And if they did, I’d have a nice meal.

I was to stay here until Klaus could kill Mikael. That was the plan. Also I had Klaus round up a few of his witches. Together they spelled necklaces for us. This way Klaus and I would never have to meet. Simply by grasping the necklace in our hand, our energies would be transferred over the frequency and we could feel each other’s emotions.

This way if anything were to happen to me, I could hold the necklace and let Klaus know that I was in danger. I knew that no matter where he was, he would come as fast as he could to me. I was to stay hidden so that I would not be something Klaus would have to worry about. He could continue the rest of the plan while I stayed safe.

Klaus was to break his hybrid curse that his mother had set on him. Once the curse was broken he would undoubtedly be able to defeat Mikael. And once it was broken he would be able to make hybrids. We used Rebekah’s necklace to contact the Original Witch and to find out the specifics. It wasn’t easy doing so. She was still hateful towards Klaus.

Klaus was working on a way to make Mikael think I was dead. If Mikael thought I was dead then he’d stop hunting me, he’d stop trying to look for me. But there didn’t seem to be any easy solution and nothing the witches could offer us. Klaus has killed a few of them in frustration claiming they were useless.

Finally one witch had an answer for us. She knew the spell that could fake death. The problem, she said was that I wouldn’t look dead, at least not vampire dead. I wouldn’t turn grey and such as everyone did when they died. I was furious that she had gotten our hopes up and instantly had wanted to kill her. But Klaus asked me to go calm myself outside and come back in when I was okay.

I glared at the witch before complying with his request. Outside, the air was cool and crisp. It was autumn again the leaves were changing into their lovely colors. Some things never changed and others always did. When I felt the anger and frustration ebb from me I turned and went back inside the house.

Klaus and the witch were standing, waiting for me to enter. This instantly caused me to become curious and almost slightly alarmed. I pushed the worry down right away. I trusted Klaus. I loved him. And I knew that he’d risk his life to save mine as he already had.

“Victoria, we have come up with a plan,” said Klaus gently. He held out his hand to me and I took it gently. He pulled me forward until I stood in front of the witch. “I don’t like you being somewhere I can’t be to in a moment’s notice. It doesn’t settle well with me while I’m gallivanting all over the world.”

“But, Klaus, we agreed that if I were to be with you, it would only make it easier for Mikael to find us and for him to kill me. You’re not very inconspicuous when you come into town,” I said smiling at him gently.

“Yes, I know,” he said smiling back but it didn’t reach his eyes. “That is why we must do this. And for that I am very sorry.”

“Klaus, I—” I was immediately stopped as the witch raised her arms and pointed her hands at me. Instantly I was met by immense pain in my head. Within a couple of seconds I had passed out.

Image

I woke up on a soft bed. The blankets were underneath me and a pillow at my head. I went to move but then realized that I was tied down. Then my hearing came back. I heard chanting at my side. Panicking, I turned my head towards the noise and saw the witch over me. Her eyes were closed and she was deep in concentration as she stood over me.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart,” said Klaus. “This is for the best. It won’t be permanent.”

“What are you doing?” I asked him. My voice rose in panic as he looked down at me with sad eyes. I could see tears brimming in them. “Why are you doing this to me?”

“You’ll be with me again one day,” he said. “When it is safe, you’ll be with me.” A single tear escaped his eyes and fell down his cheek.

“Klaus, please, don’t do this,” I begged.

“It’s for the best,” he said again. “I can’t lose you.” Then as if a switch had been flipped, my body lost all control and I fell back onto the bed. It was if everything stopped and I lost all control of movement and thought.

Image

Klaus looked down at Victoria, and a few more tears escaped my eyes. Her skin was still beautiful and even and he knew she wasn’t dead. The witch stopped her chanting and looked up at me. “It is done,” she said.

“Thank you,” said Klaus. “I just need one more thing.” Klaus quickly broke the bonds off of Victoria. He quickly lifted her into his arms, cradling her gently. He walked outside the house and to where a truck lay in waiting. Opening up the door with one arm he gazed at the finely made coffin.

Jumping smoothly into the truck he placed her inside. Tucking a piece of hair behind her ear he gave her a soft kiss before pulling back. He shut the coffin and then turned to the witch that followed him outside. “Now make this coffin indestructible. I need you to make it so that it cannot be destroyed and it can’t be opened without this.” He held up the necklace that hung around his neck. It was constantly with him.

“That is a tall order,” the witch said.

“I have brought you help,” he said. He gestured to the side of the truck where two other witches stood, ready to help him. The witch nodded and then together the three of them stood around the coffin and began to chant in their witch language.

Klaus turned away from it all, not being able to look at the coffin and know what lay inside. Instead he gazed off at the setting sun. It’s rays turned the sky to a blood red almost like it too felt the loss of Victoria. But, he reminded himself, she’s not dead. “We’ll meet again one day, love,” Klaus said as the witches’ chanting ended.

Image

“I haven’t seen Victoria in awhile,” mused Mikael as he stared at Klaus. He held an amused expression as he looked at his son. “Has she deserted you too? Did she finally realize what an abomination you are?” he taunted with a sneer. “Nobody cares about you anymore, boy.”

Klaus longed to taunt him back. He longed to brag that Victoria was safe and sound and Mikael would never be able to touch her. But apart of him was also stung by Mikael's words. A part of him was afraid he was right. After spending all this time in that coffin would Victoria still love him? Would she still welcome him back? He could only hope that it would be so. Until then he would try and finish this and protect her with his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe not the ending you hoped for but that's the way things go sometimes. I really do wonder what is in that final coffin. I can't wait til they open it.