A Little Brown Journal

Like A Mother

Sasuke didn't know what had possessed him to annoy the timid girl. But man was it entertaining. She was so easy to work up and was terrible at hiding it. I'm sure she's a great ninja, he thought snidely. It was odd meeting her again in the park. Did she make a habit of coming her everyday? At least he knew where to go if he wanted to vent some of his anger.

He pulled the brown book out of his pocket. It was now dry and the pages luckily were not soggy or ripped. He sighed as he opened the book. He hated sunny days. The heat was annoying. It made training annoying. He couldn't wait for winter to arrive.

February 2nd

Mom,

Father believes that Hinabi should be head of the clan. I feel so useless. Perhaps it is better that he wants her to be the head. Then she won't have to be given the cursed seal. The one that is given to all of the branch family. That means that I will have to get it. I don't mind, though. Hinaba acts strong and tough but I know she really just seeks father's approval. She's just a little girl on the inside. I wish I could get her to open up. I've given up on trying to get father's approval. I believe that Naruto likes a girl named Sakura. She has pink hair and green eyes. She's drop dead beautiful, mom. No wonder he likes her. I'm happy for him. She's a brilliant shinobi and will make beautiful children. I believe that I myself will never be married. Perhaps it would be best if I pursue a life of an Adaphanie. You know the female group of ninja who do not get married because of their religion? Father would not approve. He can shove it up his…you know what I mean, right? I do not understand what has come over me lately. I yelled the other day. I don't know what possessed me to do so. It might be the lack of food I'm eating. I better eat more or someone will kill me out of anger.

From,

Your daughter

Sasuke sighed as he read it over again. He felt as if when he read it he was reading his life in a different perspective—a girl's perspective obviously. And of course with different problems, but still. The girl felt as if she could never even compare to what her father expected of her. That she would never be good enough to please him.

He gritted his teeth at the memories of his brother. He brought his attention to the sky. The sun would not relent. So Sasuke stood and walked home. He noted that he would have to train. He was becoming a lazy lump that only read a stupid journal for a living.

He went and held the journal over a public trash can. Ready to drop it in and never be bugged by it again. He gritted his teeth together. I NEED to do this, he told himself. In order to go back to normal. To go back to not caring about anything. I'm feeling emotions I've suppressed for so long that I don't even know how to deal with them anymore. Che, he would just continue to suppress him. It's what he had always done. Sucked it up and hit it from the rest of the world. One little brown diary by some highly emotional girl would not stop him. He was lying to himself a lot. Throw it out, damn it! However, he could not make himself do so. Something about it made it impossible. It was like throwing away part of himself. He sighed as he put the object in his pocket. He was getting soft. He needed to train—to make something bleed. Just then a familiar blond walked by. Sasuke smirked. Or to make someone bleed.

~*~

Hinata sat paralyzed. How was she supposed to explain this to her sister? Well sis, you see you have a bee and a flower. No! Definitely not. Um. When a man loves a woman…ugh! Every month you have a…a certain cycle because…well only woman have it because. Hinata sighed as she rubbed her eyes.

"So?" Hinabi inquired. She was waiting not-so-patiently for the young heiress's response.

"I-it's um," Hinata couldn't stop the stuttering because of her nervousness. The awkward situation was getting more awkward by the second. "I-it's because woman need, or have…they—it's to make babies!" Hinata shouted out and covered her mouth afterward. She wondered how many people had heard that.

"I don't get it," Hinabi stated. Hinata relaxed her muscles and calmed herself, trying to think of the easiest and most professional way to say it. How would the head of the clan say it?

"Every month…t-the woman's body…g-gets ready to have a baby. N-now if the woman does not do…t-the stuff necessary to have a b-baby…she needs a way t-to flush out the stuff needed to h-help the baby survive…and s-such," Hinata took a deep breath as she finished. Hinabi still sat there confused.

"What is 'the stuff necessary to have a baby'?" Hinabi asked. Hinata smacked her head into her hands. Why couldn't Hinabi have asked father? Hinata knew why, though. She didn't want it to be awkward for her with father.

"A-a man spreads…h-his stuff…in h-her," Hinata said as her voice became high. Hinaba sat there for a moment, silently thinking.

"What is the man's stu—?" Hinata cut her off by hugging her and ruffling her hair.

"I'll tell you more when you're older," she said in a motherly way. Hinabi sighed and pouted in her embrace. Something Hinabi would never do if there was anyone else around. The only time Hinabi showed affection or let her sister show affection to her was when they were alone.

"Aw!" Hinabi complained. In a way Hinata was a mother to her. Hinabi never knew her own mother. She had died giving birth to her. She wondered if Hinata hated her for taking away her mother.

"Um, H-hinata?" Hinabi asked. She cursed herself for copying her sister's stutter.

"Yes?" Hinata asked.

"Do you hate me?" Hinata's eyes widened and for a long time it was silent. Hinata finally finding her voice...and her thoughts...spoke.

"Of course not! What made you think that? Hinabi, you are my whole reason for living." Hinata smiled down at her sister as she began to rock her back and forth. Hinabi smiled, even though Hinata was unable to see it in the embrace. Thank you, Hinata. Thank you for being such a kind hearted person.

There was a knock at the door and the two sisters froze. Both of them looked at each other in surprise. Hinata let go of Hinabi and sat in a casual position—as did Hinabi. The knocking continued.

"Yes?" Hinata said finally. The knocking stopped.

"Open the door, please, Hinata-sama." It was an elder and Hinata quickly stood up and followed the orders. The older man standing there had a frown on his face. Which Hinata guessed had been chiseled into his wrinkled face. In his hands was a small, colorful bird.

"O-oh!" Hinata replied as she took the bird away from him. "I'm so sorry!" She didn't miss the many droppings that the bird had left on his clothing.

"Do not let such a thing happen again," he said before leaving. Hinata quickly shut the door to hide her fits of laughter. Hinabi stared at her.

"Was that?" Hinata nodded furiously as she laughed. Hinabi then began laughing furiously also. Him, an elder, having the bird's droppings on his clothing! Priceless! The girls continued laughing till their lungs hurt. Then Hinata took the bird and put it into a cage that was hanging from her ceiling.

"He's so pretty," Hinabi said, not intentionally saying it aloud. Hinata smiled. It was so nice to be able to let loose and be herself around her sister—even if it was only once in a while and behind doors. She was blessed greatly to have her sister. She wished there was a way to show that to her. There was another knock at the door and both sisters froze—again. Hinabi couldn't suppress a smile.

"If that's another elder…." She trailed off.

"Five says that it is," Hinata said smirking mischievously.

"You're on!" Hinabi said in a whisper.