The Treasure

The Pirates

Darkness fell on the docks as Tim wiped the spilt ale off the tables. Sea salts and spices could be smelt drifting out from his parents’ tavern. Birds sang their night songs before disappearing for the night. Tim sat down at the table he was wiping and watched as the ships arrived and departed from the dock.

After five minutes of watching two traders’ debate about the weather, a large ship sailed smoothly in. Curiosity grabbed Tim’s attention as rarely do newcomers arrive. A long wooden plank was placed like a bridge to permit the newcomers admittance. They swaggered and shouted while gathering on the pier. Gold glinted on one of their teeth and Tim remembered the stories from the South about men who wore golden teeth and behaved rowdily. They were pirates, thieves and he was certain they couldn’t be here for a good reason.

He rushed indoors to warn his mother about them and she told him to wipe the tables nearby, if they came in, in case they took anything. Sure enough they chose the tavern for ale and rum about ten minutes later. Tim obeyed his mother and eavesdropped on their conversation as well.

“. . . Insanity. They would beat us by brute force even if they don’t get there before us. The Rebels are a force to be reckoned with; we know them and their strengths! I’m telling you we can’t beat them!”

A man with a grey goatee spoke to a person Tim assumed was the captain. Tim was amazed by how softly he spoke.

“We do know their strengths; but we also know their weaknesses. That I think is a definite advantage to us.”

“I bet they know ours too. Either we are equally matched, or they will defeat us in an hour.”

The captain swallowed some rum and took a moment or two to answer.

“So be it. We go ahead as planned. Nothing can take that treasure away from me. Not even my own brother.”

The rest of the crew, who had been listening in, glanced exasperatedly at each other. Yet, they knew better than to disagree with their captain forcefully, only Scott could do that.

Half an hour’s more conversation past before the man with the golden teeth nudged his neighbour and pointed at Tim. Tim froze as he noticed this and his apparent eavesdropping was pointed out to the captain. Scott took hold of the situation.

“Lad!” he called out. “C’mere. What would your name be then?”

Tim stood still trying to determine what name to use.

Eventually, “Tim. My name’s Tim.” he blurted out. Instantly, he regretted using his real name.

“Tim. Well now. I once knew a lad called Tim. Abandoned us though. By the way, you weren’ eavesdroppin’ were ya?”

Tim turned to run away and seek refuge in the store room with his father but two of the pirates grabbed him and dragged him outside. One pirate had his hand over Tim’s mouth. As much as he tried to lash out or scream, he was overpowered. It wasn’t long before he realized he was being led onto the boat. He tried as hard as he could to knock them off the plank in the hope that he could swim back to shore. That dream disappeared, however, when another man took hold of his legs.

A strong smell of alcohol and wax infiltrated Tim’s nose, causing him to nearly retch on one of the pirate’s shoes. He was scared and angry. Did they really expect to take him from his family just for a bit of eavesdropping? He meant no harm. Tears were welling up inside him, but he had to remind himself that thankfully no one had hurt him yet.