Status: Complete ... For Now

Lost In Pacific Time

The July With the Beat of Your Heart

Game Two was a little better, I had gotten the memories of Amber swooning over Kris Letang out of my head and I tried to replaced them with another memory from this same arena but that didn’t exactly work.
______

The 2006 NHL Entry Draft

Amber had bought herself a ticket and watched from the balcony with all the other spectators as I sat with my family and the other prospects. I know Amber had better things to do than sit through practically three hours and could care less who went where. The names meant nothing to her but she cared about me. She cared enough that she would sit through these three hours because she wanted to support me.

I’ve never watched the draft before and now I knew why. It took like 15 minutes until the first pick was announced and soon after I got a text from Amber: Erik Johnson is such a Mike Smith-esque name. I guess when you have a name like Ambrosia you have your name mispronounced as such as she does you get to make fun of people with generic names. I wasn’t expecting to be drafted in the first round but you never know. It’d look ridiculous if they called my name up there and I was out rollerblading with Amber on the seawall.

The first round draft ended and everyone made their way out. Amber was sitting on the bench below and waited as I signed autographs if this was any other no one would care but this was Vancouver, my stomping ground and after making the Memorial Cup Tournament the city started to pay more attention to the Giants, especially when the Canucks failed to make the playoffs. As someone from the outside looking in there was something so sad about this picture: her jet black hair was being blown around by the wind and her cola colored eyes were on the ground and when I got closer to her I realized she was crying.
_____

I ended up getting drafted the next day by the Boston Bruins. Amber was there even though almost no one else was there as a spectator. After the draft she and my family walked to Chinatown and had ate noodles at my favourite Cambodian Noodle place, it was the only Cambodian Noodle place I knew. Amber didn’t say much and I never told her that I witnessed her crying. After I had done my interviews I decided to walk over there, knowing that no one who ate there would recognize me. Chinatown wasn’t exactly a place you wanted to be walking around especially since most people you would encounter on the sidewalk were homeless. I walked into the restaurant and instantly remembered Amber and I sitting at the small table in the corner eating while she tutored me in math when we were in Eleventh Grade and just getting to know each other.

Anyway if you were wondering, I went to my dentist about a month ago and read that Erik Johnson was marrying Jessica Simpson or something in one of those gossip magazines while I was in the waiting room. It probably wasn’t the same Erik Johnson but it was Erik Johnson News never the less.
______

I was packing up Milly’s clothes. She took the breakup pretty well, actually she was upset and decided that she couldn’t stand to look at me anymore so she booked herself a suite at the Biltmore Hotel and took a box of Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches from the freezer. The last thing she left she said that if she were Mila Kunis she would’ve never dumped Macaulay Culkin. At first I thought she meant that she found that kind from Home Alone cute but that wasn’t really applicable here. I texted Greg and he told me that my fame was surpassing Milly’s much like Mila Kunis’ after she starred in The Black Swan and how Mila dumped Macaulay Culkin when she became too famous and pretty for him.

I decided that it would be easier for Milly to deal with the breakup if I gave Milly her space, so I told her I would drop off her stuff at the Biltmore Hotel’s front desk by the end of the week and she could go pick it up from there. Here I was picking her clothes off the hangers in her closet and into some boxes I found in the basement.

Within an hour I had all of Milly’s clothes taped up in a box, she and I were so different. I basically had to rent out a couple of storage lockers to store all of the stuff I bought. Most of it was furniture from auctions for my upcoming projects. Milly on the other hand seemed to be able to live on the bare necessities; I never noticed how little stuff she actually had. It almost seemed like Milly didn’t even live here.