Sequel: Attractions

Counting the Ways to Reject You

Chapter Thirteen

“What do you mean we can’t get in?!” Star snapped at the security guard, blocking the entrance to the locker room. “This is Natalie Whitt, the freaking goaltending coach!” she shouted.

“I’m sorry ladies, but unless you have ID on you that state that you need to be back there, I cannot let you through.”

“Are you new? You must be, because EVERY OTHER GUARD KNOWS US!” she kept shouting and I just stood there.

“ID please?” he asked.

“Does it look like I can fit a freaking ID card in this outfit?” she spun around for emphasis on her red baby doll dress and black knee high boots. It was a very simple outfit I noticed, but Star could make anything simple quite beautiful.

“Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

“Do you see her face?!” she pointed at me. “See that blood? It ain’t mine, I can tell you that!”

I sighed. “Star, we may need your boobs as currency in order to get this done.”

She rolled her eyes. “You’ve got to be kidding me!” She crossed her arms, assessed my face, and sighed. “Fine! Only cause you’re bleeding quite profusely now,” she told me as if I didn’t already know.

I just held her white sweater up to her face, grateful she was willing to part with it.

“Don’t blame me! Blame that God awful Red Wings fan and his temper!” I reminded her of why we were arguing for entrance without my badge.

I had met Star by her seat and told her I would walk her down to the locker rooms, for Detroit was not the best place for a Hawks fan. Of course God was out to prove me right, by shoving a drunken Detroit fan in our way and having him throw a temper tantrum because we kicked some Red Wing ass. I wasn’t ready for the beer bottle he swung at my face after that and well that leads us to our current situation.

“You dropped your ID card!” she shouted at me.

“I’m sorry that I dropped it because a beer bottle was swung into my face you little priss!”

“You should really get that checked out,” the guard pointed out.

“Oh shit!” I swore, trying to grab for Star, but alas, I was at somewhat of a disadvantage.

She punched him in the gut and stepped on his foot and ushered me around him as he moaned on the ground. “Come on Nat!” she shouted.

“Stop shouting! I have a headache!” I snapped.

“Ack, he’s chasing us!” she screamed.

“Whoa! Whoa!” someone shouted and we all froze.

“Ray Emery!” I was eternally grateful for my goalie right then.

“Natalie! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOUR FACE?!” he shouted.

I turned to the guard who looked pissed and confused. “You wouldn’t happen to have any Advil on you? People keep shouting and I really need this headache to stop, you feel me?”

He ignored me. “Are they yours?” he asked the goalie.

“Yes sir. Thanks for bringing them to us. I’ll make sure to mention it,” he said and ushered us to the changing room. “Go find someone to take care of you,” he muttered, pushing me away.

“What?! And where are you going?” I asked.

“To keep your boyfriend from pillaging all of Detroit, yeah? Star. Kaner wants you.”

I finally found someone and they looked quite surprised to see me and they ushered me to a table.

“Does Sharpie know?” he asked as he stitched me up. “It’s really not as bad as the blood portrays it.”

“Sepaking of blood, toss this before he sees it. Now,” I said and the guy threw in the trash just as my boyfriend slammed through the doors.

“Gah! Uh! Ah!” he struggled for words. “What happened?” he finally was able to form a coherent sentence.

“Detroit is taking its revenge for you guys winning essentially. How it happened is of no relevance to you my dear.”

“Geez,” Crow, Emery, Kaner, Star, Tazer, Stalberg, and Kruger crowded in the door. “Nice battle wound Captain Suicide,” Stalberg winked.

“Thanks Stally. Because I was really aiming for one of these babies tonight.”

“Okay, you’re all stitched up Natalie. You’re probably gonna hurt in a bit, so here are some lovely painkillers for the plane ride home.”

“Are the going to knock me out?” I asked warily, examining one.

“Yes,” he answered.

“No thank you,” I said, dropping the pills back into his hand. “Last time I took one of these babies, I got an even worse headache when I woke up because some idiots,” I glared at Stalberg and Kane, “like to play pranks.”

We got onto the plane and I collapsed in the seat next to my boyfriend. “Jesus, my face hurts.”

“I’m sorry babe,” he lightly kissed the stitches.

“Nat!” Kruger looked horrified as Jamal and Shaw carried him to another seat past us. “Natalie! Come on! Help!” he looked so innocent.

“Guys!” I sighed, having a soft spot for the Swede. “Kaner wants you two. Leave the Swede and go bug the hell out of him.”

They dropped Kruger and he smiled at me. “Kaner was wrong. You’re a sweet and a kind soul.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re welcome Krugs.”

“I’ll leave you two lovebirds to cozzie up while I go find Hammer,” he said and went off on his way to his seat.

“Go to sleep babe,” Patrick whispered in my ear. “I’ll watch over you.”

“You better,” I mumbled, already falling asleep.

“Always,” I heard him say before I completely fell asleep.