Be Quiet You Might Piss Somebody Off

Number Thirty-two

I found Brian in the kitchen. He was sitting on a chair, his head resting against the table. His eyes were closed and he looked like he was asleep. But when I walked into the room, his eyes fluttered open and he lifted his head up, looking at me with narrowed eyes.

”Morning,” I said and ruffled his hair as I walked to the table and sat down.

”Babe, I feel like the biggest asshole,” he mumbled and looked at me with a sad smile on his face.

”I can't exactly remember what I said or did... But, uh, I'm sorry,” he said and grabbed my hand on the table. I looked at our hands. His hand was so big, it covered mine. Then I looked back at his face.

”I can't believe you were drunk and driving your car,” I said quietly. He sighed and shook his head.

”It was stupid,” he admitted, ”And I know it made you upset because of, uh, your parents...”

”Let's not talk about that,” I said quickly.

”Look, I'm sorry. I don't what got into me... I just... Yeah.” He ended up shaking his head as he rubbed his face with his other hand. The other one was tightly glued to my hand.

”So, uh, do you want to go see my parents?” he asked then. My eyes flew wide open.

”Are you serious?” I asked. I had never seen his parents. Never ever. Even though we had been best friends for years, I hadn't met them. So maybe it was about time to do that.

”Yeah,” he nodded, ”They want to meet you. Now that we're engaged and all, I think it's about time.”

”I almost forgot!” I exclaimed in shock. I didn't remember we were engaged! Geez, now I felt just horrible. What a terrible person I was. What a horrible wife I would be. Oh, oh, oh no.

”You did?” he asked with wide eyes.

”Yes! I'm sorry, babe, now I feel horrible,” I mumbled and reached over the table to kiss him.

”Don't worry about it, Amanda. So, mom asked us to come over at three, is that okay with you?” he asked. I nodded.

”Yeah, that's fine.”

14:30. It was 14:30 and I was about to shit my pants. I was afraid of meeting Brian's parents. Damn, why did I say yes? We were in Brian's car and I was freaking out. I kept playing with the window, you know, opening it and then closing it again. Then, I couldn't decide what to listen on the radio. I kept turning the volume up and down. Let's just say I was freaking out.

Why? Well, uh, because what if they didn't like me? They'd think that I'm just another skinny bitch who was after their son's money. They would think that I'm just horrible. They would hate me, that's for sure.

”Hey, hey. Amanda, what is wrong with you?” Brian asked as I pushed my head out of the window. Only for a second, though, because that was cool. Dogs did that shit all the time. Brian rested his hand on my thigh and smiled softly at me.

”Nothing's wrong,” I told him and faked a smile.

”Why are you freaking out? You're not nervous, are you?” he asked and cocked an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and snorted.

”No, of course not.”

”Don't worry. They're going to love you,” he said and patted my thigh with his hand before looking back at the road again.

”What if not? What if they think I'm the biggest bitch?” I asked, ”Hmm? That's possible.”

”Baby... Do you think that you're like that?”

”What, a bitch? Well, uh, no, not really but...”

”See? That's the only thing that matters.”

”Your parents won't let you marry me if they don't like me,” I pointed out. He rolled his eyes but I could see that he was trying not to smile. He turned on the radio and for a moment we listened to Lady Gaga. Then I turned it off again.

”How are they?” I asked and turned to look at Brian.

”Who? My parents? They're cool,” he said and nodded.

”Great.”

”How were they?” he asked then and I felt confused for a moment. Who was he talking about?

”Who?”

”Your parents. How were they?” Brian asked. I sat there without saying a word for a while. It was something we had propably never talked about. Ashley and I didn't like talking about our parents. And I wasn't going to talk about them now, either.

”Let's not talk about them, please,” I mumbled quietly and looked down at my lap where my hands were resting.

”Do you ever talk about them?” he asked. I didn't answer his question so the rest of the ride we both were silent.

About fifteen minutes later we arrived at Brian's mom's place. I found out his parents weren't together anymore and they both were married to someone else, now. So we got out of the car and walked to the front door. Brian rang the doorbell and grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly. I thought I would pass out, that's how scared I was.

And guess what? When the door opened, I did pass out. Great job, Amanda, great job.