Be Quiet You Might Piss Somebody Off

Number Thirty-three

When I came back to reality, I saw a white ceiling. That's all I could see in a while. Geez, I must've been really out. I was confused for a moment, not really knowing where I was. And then I heard Brian's voice. But he wasn't in the same room. Where was he?

”Yeah,” I heard Brian say to someone, ”She doesn't eat. This is the first time this has happened but I'm really worried. She won't talk about it and she gets upset if I try to bring it up.”

”Really? Do you know why she doesn't, umm, eat?” I heard a woman's voice. And that's when I realized that I was at Brian's mom's place. As I looked around, I saw Brian and his mother (well, I guess it was her) in another room. I blinked a few times and then lifted my hand up to my forehead. There was a black whole in my memory. I could not remember what had happened right before I passed out. I sighed and then listened to their conversation again.

”Her, umm, parents... Died when she was just a kid,” Brian said quietly.

”That's horrible,” Brian's mom said. I decided to let them know I was alive again so I sat up. That's when I noticed that I was on a couch in a livingroom. I looked at Brian who had noticed that I was awake. I stood up and felt dizzy for a moment. Then I walked to the kitchen and stopped in the doorway. My eyes landed on Brian's mom who was smiling softly at me, just like Brian.

”Uh, hello,” I said and forced a smile on my face, which turned out to be a grimace.

”Amanda, this is my mom,” Brian said. I went to shake her hand.

”It's nice to meet you,” I said.

”You too,” she said, ”Please sit down. Are you okay now?”

”Uh, yeah,” I said and nodded. I sat down next to Brian who immediately wrapped his arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek.

”Well I've got some pizza in the fridge, I know Brian wants, but what about you?” Brian's mom asked then. I couldn't say no. But I wanted to because I didn't want to eat. I hadn't fainted because I hadn't eaten anything. I fainted because I had been so damn nervous of meeting Brian's parents.

”I, uh...”

”Yeah, she loves pizza,” Brian said suddenly, ”Right, Amanda?”

”Uh, yeah...” I elbowed his side without his mom noticing.

So there I was, sitting with Brian and his mom in the kitchen. There was a plate and pizza in front of me. I hadn't touched it yet, even though Brian had already finished eating. Eating itself wasn't a problem, but after living so long without eating much in a day, I couldn't bring myself to it. I couldn't grab that slice of pizza and eat it. I noticed that Brian's mom had been staring at me for a while but I ignored her. I ignored everything and focused on staring at the pizza. Geez, Amanda, why was it so hard to just eat it?

I finally forced myself into it. I grabbed the slice of pizza and lifted it up to my mouth. And then I took a bite. See, it wasn't that bad after all. I ate maybe half of the slice and then put the rest of it back on the plate. Now I felt sick. I wiped my mouth and took a huge swig of my water. And then another one and another one, until my tummy was full. Now I felt even worse. I knew I had to get it all out.

”I need to go to the bathroom,” I said quickly and stood up.

”Sure. Just go up the stairs and it's the first one on the left...” I didn't even listen to what Brian's mom was saying. I was too busy running out of the room.

As soon as I was in the bathroom, I locked the door and leaned over the toilet seat and threw up. Oh, gross. As soon as my stomach was empty again, I rinsed my mouth with water a few times. Then I walked out of the bathroom, only to come face to face with Brian who had obviously been waiting for me right outside the bathroom.

”What were you doing?” he asked and crossed his arms over his chest.

”What do people usually do in there?” I asked and pointed at the room.

”Seriously, Amanda, I'm freaking out right now. You just fainted and now you went and threw up,” he mumbled and placed his hands on my shoulders, looking down at me.

”I wasn't feeling too well,” I muttered and looked away from his face.

”I don't know what to do anymore,” he mumbled, ”You don't even want to start eating and being all right again, do you?”

”Of course I do!” I hissed and threw my hands up, getting somewhat frustrated.

”Well why don't I see it?” he hissed, getting frustrated too. I didn't say anything to that.

”See? You won't even talk about it. I'm gonna call your sister and she will make you eat again, because she's the only person you will really listen,” he told me.

”No, Brian, I don't want to be around her,” I told him, ”Please don't do it.”

”She's your only family, she's the only one who can help you,” he said, cupping my cheek with his hand.

”You promised you wouldn't let her near me,” I mumbled quietly. Even though things were better with Ashley now, I couldn't help but still be afraid of her. As long as she drank alcohol, I didn't want to be a part of her life.

”I just don't know what to do,” he admitted with a sigh.

”We'll figure something out,” I said, ”Okay?” Then I reached up to kiss him.