Be Quiet You Might Piss Somebody Off

Number Thirty-four

Brian and I walked down the stairs hand in hand. We went into the kitchen where his mother had been waiting for us.

”I'm sorry, mom, we have to go,” Brian said, ”Amanda's not feeling too well.”

”I'm sorry. It was nice to meet you,” I said and smiled sadly. She nodded.

”Yeah. I'll see you two some other time, then,” she said.

”Okay. Bye.”

It had been the worst ever meeting with my boyfriend's mom. I had made a complete asshole of myself and I was now embarrassed. I didn't want to see his mom ever again.

As we sat in Brian's car on our way back to home, we just listened to the radio and didn't say anything. I knew Brian wanted to talk about things but he knew I didn't, so he kept his mouth shut. But then he did someting stupid. Instead of going home, Brian drove to Zacky's place.

”Where are you going?” I asked as he got out of the car. He didn't say anything. He walked to the other side of the car and opened the door for me. I got out and he grabbed my hand and began to pull me towards the front door. He rang the doorbell and a moment later Zacky opened the door.

”Is Ashley here?” Brian asked right away. Zacky nodded. ”Good!” Brian pulled me into the house and living room where we found my sister watching TV with a beer in her hand. I stayed behind Brian, just in case she got some stupid idea and tried to choke me again or something.

”Hi, what are you doing here?” Ashley asked when she noticed us.

”Well, we came to ask you something. Amanda here,” Brian pulled me in front of him so that my back was against his chest. He was resting his hands on my shoulders, ”Has a problem. She's stopped eating and today she fainted.”

”Really?” I heard Zacky's worried voice coming from behind me but I couldn't turn around because Brian was holding me still.

”And, well, I don't know what to do anymore. So, Ashley, would you be able to help us with this?” Brian asked.

”What do you want me to do?” My sister asked and put her beer away (Thank god!)

”Whatever you think can make her all right again,” Brian said and shrugged. Ashley just shook her head.

”Do you realize yourself how bad it is? Do you understand that you have a problem?” Ashley asked me. I nodded. To be honest, I didn't understand why she was trying to help me with anything. She had her own problems and let me tell you, her problems were worse than mine.

”Did you, uh, stop eating because of... What happened to mom and dad?” she asked quietly and my eyes met hers. I could see pain in her eyes as she talked about them. I nodded again, not being able to say anything.

”Look, 'Manda, do something before it's too late. What happened to them wasn't fair but it still happened,” she said, ”You have to let it go.” Even though everything she said made sense, I just snapped. I couldn't just 'let it go' because it hurt me and I could never get over the fact that I had lost my parents.

”So is that what you did? Don't you realize that you've got your own problems? You have no right to tell me to solve my shit when you're going to drink until you're dead!” I exclaimed. Her eyes went wide. She didn't obviously expect that.

”Look, I'm not the one whining here!” she shouted.

”Neither am I!”

”Then get your shit out of my house!” Then she stood up and took a step towards us. I flinched and Brian pulled me behind his back.

”Calm the fuck down, everyone,” Zacky exclaimed suddenly, ”Look, I'm getting tired of this shit. Everyone's got problems, life is horrible, nothing goes right, but FUCK! You two are sisters, twin sisters for fucks sake! You're meant to be together, without the other one there isn't the other one either, okay?” That left us all speechless. I guess we all knew Zacky was right.

”This is bullshit. Are you going to be in each other's weddings'? Are you going to be in the same room ever again? Are you able to see each other without wanting or trying to kill the other one?” Zacky exclaimed, ”I fucking hate this. Ash, I love you really fucking much, but your drinking's gone too far. You need to stop. And Amanda, you're skinny as fuck and you need to eat. Every single person that knows you is worried about you.” I knew I was going to start crying soon so I had to get out. I just nodded and sniffled before walking out of the house.

As soon as I was outside, I let the tears fall down. And man, I really was crying. I sat down on the ground and leaned my back against the wall, burying my face in my hands. I just cried. Why was I crying? Because everything that Zacky had said was true. People really were worried about me. I needed to change. I needed to try.

A moment later I heard someone come outside and then I heard that someone, Brian, sigh. I felt him wrap his arms around me as he pulled me up to my feet. And I just cried. He pulled me into a tight hug and kissed the top of my head every now and then.

”Everything will be all right,” he mumbled into my ear, ”Okay?” I shook my head and cried some more against his chest.

”Hey, shh. Amanda, calm down.” His voice was soft and it sounded like something I had never heard before. He sounded like he needed it; like I had to calm down. Like that would make him feel better.

”I'm going to be okay,” I mumbled against his chest and nodded. Because that was the truth.