Status: BRAND NEW!

A Promise to Keep Until I Die

Chapter Eleven

I didn't have to look to know that Zabuza was dead. His last thoughts lingered in my head.

I did care...take care of Haku for me...Hazuki...

I stood up stiffly and Haku instantly went to Zabuza's side. I looked at the body of my uncle. He was the one person in my family I had admired. He had defied the traditions. He had given me the courage to leave my family.

"I'm sorry Uncle Zabuza," I whispered.

"Naruto! You're alright! What about Sasuke?"

I turned to look at Sakura. She looked so hopeful...Naruto couldn't face her. She saw Sasuke's body lying there and I saw her start to shake.

"I'll go with you. Then you won't be breaking your sensei's order," Tazuna said.

I walked past Kakashi and Haku, past Naruto, and knelt down across from Sakura. There was nothing I could say to make this better. Nothing at all.

"No matter what the situation a shinobi must keep their emotions on the inside," she cried. "You must make the mission a top priority and you must possess a heart that never shows tears."

A steady stream of tears fell down her cheeks as she cried over him.

"We have...we have to take the needles out," I said. I felt my tears start as my hand brushed against his cold skin. My hands were shaking. Something was slowly squeezing my heart harder and harder. "Sasuke..." I tried to keep from crying but tears slipped out. I remembered the funeral of his family. That had been horrible...but this...this was so much worse.

Sobs tore from my throat. "Sasuke..."

"Hehe...so what's going on..."

I breathed in deep breaths to calm down and looked at the person who had spoken. I knew he was Gatou and anger filled me instantly. I stood slowly, letting it fill me entirely.

"Oh! Zabuza was defeated? How disappointing."

The men behind him leered. I walked forward slowly, pulling out kunai. These people would pay dearly. Haku stood and I came to a stop beside him.

"You will pay for this Gatou," I said. "You will pay dearly."

I couldn't hate Haku or Zabuza. But I could hate this man who had started it all. I could hate him with my entire being. I could hate him for this village, for Haku, for Zabuza, for Sasuke...I could hate him.

"A little brat is going to make me pay?" he laughed. "Yeah right!"

I smirked. Haku pulled out his needles. "I am the niece of Zabuza," I said. "And I think I might have inherited a little devil from him."

Haku and i moved at the same time, taking them down easily without killing. But when we reached Gatou...I plunged the kunai into his heart with no regrets.

"Rot in hell Gatou," I said.

The rest of the men we hadn't gotten to yet froze, staring at us. I glared.

"Well? Are you going to fight or not?" I asked.

"We-we surrender," one said, throwing his weapon down.

"Then leave," I spat. "And don't you dare return to this place ever again!"

As they scattered I turned to away. "Cowards," I said.

I walked back to Kakashi and Naruto. I was ready to go home. I was ready to find a quiet spot and cry more.

"Naruto! Hazuki! Sasuke is alright!"

My head snapped to Sakura and I saw Sasuke standing beside her. Relief flooded me and I fell to my knees, tears filling my eyes. I looked at Haku.

He smiled sadly. "Temporary," was all he said. It was all he had to say.

I got to my feet and hugged him tightly. "Don't even think of dying okay?" I said. "He cared and he wanted me to take care of you. So I will okay?"

I let go of him and ran as fast as I could to Sasuke. I threw my arms around him, crying even more.

"Thank you Sasuke," I whispered. "Thank you so much...and don't you ever die again!"

I pulled away and wiped my eyes, trembling. I could see the villagers coming. I knew everything would be okay.

***** Two weeks later

"That's bad karma!"

I smiled slightly, placing white lilies on Zabuza's grave.

"She's right Naruto," I said. "Don't eat the offerings."

Naruto sighed. "But I'm hungry!"

Haku placed a single red rose amongst the white lilies.

"Kakashi sensei, was he correct about ninjas?"

Haku glanced at me. I smiled sadly.

"A shinobi isn't supposed to pursue his own goals. Becoming the country's tool is the most important thing."

"That's crap," i said.

"Is that what it really means to become a true ninja?" Naruto asked. "You know what? I don't like it!"

I smiled. "That makes three of us at least."

"Yes," Haku said.

"You believe that too?" Sasuke asked, looking at Kakashi.

"Well, each and every ninja has to live while dealing with that issue," Kakashi said. "Just like Zabuza."

"Okay I've just decided," Naruto announced. "I'm going to be a ninja in my own way."

I smiled. "Same for me. If I wanted to be a tool I would have stayed with my clan."

Naruto grinned. I looked up at the sky. Wherever uncle Zabuza was, I think he'd be proud.

*****

"Thanks to you we've completed the bridge," Tazuna said. "But this is sad."

"Don't worry we'll come visit!" Naruto said.

"Definitely!" I said.

"You...better..." Inari said, his eyes filling.

"Inari you're sad right? It's okay to cry!" Naruto said.

"I'm not going to cry! But Naruto you can cry to!"

"Fine, later," Naruto said, turning away.

I rolled my eyes as they both started crying. "Just hug it out like real men already!" I said. "You two are such idiots!"

I looked at Tazuna. "One day this bridge will be famous," I said. "Just don't let him know you named it after him!"

They all laughed and I waved, running to catch up to the others.

"We should get ramen when we get home," I said. "I bet Iruka sensei would buy us some!"

"Yeah! And I have to tell Konohamaru about my legendary feats!"

"Sasuke, how about a date when we get back?" Sakura asked eagerly.

"You can't even wait till we've crossed the bridge?" I complained. "You are such a stalker Sakura!"

She glared at me. "You're the stalker Hazuki!"

I smirked. "Not a fan-girl, not a stalker. Just ordinary friend here."

"What about me Sakura?" Naruto asked.

"NO! Shut up Naruto!"

I rolled my eyes, laughing. Everything would be okay because I had my friends with me. As long as I had them, I was sure I could do anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!
yes, I left Haku alive. I didn't have it in me to let him die.
Hope you like it!
-WF