Status: BRAND NEW!

A Promise to Keep Until I Die

Chapter Six

I sighed irritably, sneaking a look at the target of our current mission.

"What's the distance to the target?"

"Five meters," I said into the speaker. "I'm ready to go."

"Me too."

"So am I."

"I am too."

"Go!"

I leapt out from behind the tree and towards the stupid cat. I caught it only to have it hiss and spit at me. I am so not a cat person. They hate me and I hate them back. I like dogs better.

"Calm down you stupid feline!" I shouted, grabbing it by the scruff of the neck. Sasuke was snickering silently at my disgusted look.

"Shut up baka!" I snapped, irritated. I hadn't had any sleep for a few days, ever since me and Sasuke reconnected. The nightmares started to get worse. I tried to get some sleep but failed miserably every time.

He grinned. "Don't get snippy at me just because cats don't like you."

"Meh. Cats hate me and I hate them. Stupid fur balls," I grumbled, still holding Tora by the scruff of his neck. "Besides I hate these stupid missions! I'm so tired of doing chores. If I wanted to do chores I would stay home! It's so irritating!"

"You just haven't gotten enough sleep," Naruto said.

I snorted. "Tell me about it. In the past week I have probably gotten three hours of sleep. I'm surprised I haven't dropped unconscious yet."

Sasuke gave me a worried frown which caused Sakura to glare at me. She hadn't said a word to me unless she had no other choice. She's mad because I'm closer to Sasuke. Oh well, she'll just have to stay mad.

"Let's go take this stupid feline back to it's owner," I said, standing up.

********

"All right, your next mission is babysitting an elders grandson, shopping in the neighboring village, and potato digging."

"No!" I said loudly.

"Come on we want a more incredible mission!" Naruto complained.

"Yeah! I understand the importance but if I have to do another chore I will die. I am in serious need of adventure!" I complained.

"You idiots! You are just rookies! Everyone starts off with simple duties and works their way up!" Iruka sensei shouted.

I scowled. "You do realize who you're talking to right?" I asked. "Although adventure and excitement make it harder for me to keep my promise they are essential parts of my life that have been lacking sense my parents disowned me! I haven't seen my friends in the Sand village sense I was seven! I need to get out of this village before I go completely insane!"

"Be quiet you," Kakashi said, attempting to hit me on my head. I stepped to the side and avoided it, grinning cheekily. I heard the Hokage begin to explain the importance of the missions and their ranks but I zoned out. Naruto started talking about the ramen we ate for dinner last night.

"Hey listen!"

"All you do is give lectures like that!" Naruto said. "But you know what? I'm not the trouble making brat you still think I am!"

He turned around angrily but I saw Iruka sensei and the Hokage smiling.

"And what about you Hazuki?" Iruka sensei asked, smiling.

I made a face. "I want a better mission. I know better means more dangerous and that makes the promise a bit harder to keep but really! I'm bored with all the chores! And the last mission was ridiculous! Why send the team with me on it after a cat? Everyone in the village knows that cat's hate me and I hate them!"

"Okay, if you want it that bad...we'll give you a c-rank mission. It's the protection of a certain individual."

I looked at Kakashi's surprised face and smiled in realization. This was the Hokage's gift to Naruto although I was probably the only one who realized that. I bowed to the Hokage, smiling. Naruto was starting to be acknowledged as something more than a trouble making prankster.

"Thank you Lord Hokage, Iruka sensei," i said sincerely. They both looked at me in surprise and then smiled, knowing exactly why I was thanking them.

Iruka sensei chuckled. "You always could see things clearer when they involved those two!"

"Yes and she was the only one to claim to be different. Even back then she cheered for the underdog of her two friends," the Hokage said.

I scowled at them. They were talking about Naruto and Sasuke. They were right though. I saw clearly when it came to those two. And I did claim to be different all those times. I said I didn't like Sasuke like that and I always cheered for Naruto when the other girls cheered for Sasuke. Naruto had needed someone besides Hinata cheering for him.

"It's rude to talk about people like they're not here," I said, holding my temper.

"Who are we protecting?" Naruto asked eagerly, completely ignoring what they had said. "Is it a feudal lord? A princess?"

"Hold your horses Naruto," the Hokage said calmly. "I'm about to introduce him. Hey can you come in here?" he called.

A drunk guy came in with a bottle of sake. "What is this? They are all a bunch of super brats. Especially the short one with the stupid looking face. Are you really a ninja?"

I rolled my eyes as Naruto looked to see who was shortest to find out it was him. I grabbed him as he struggled to reach the guy saying he'd kill him.

"Seriously Naruto," I said, rolling my eyes. "What's the point of killing the person we're supposed to be protecting?"

My grip on him was weaker than it usually was. The lack of sleep was starting to take it's toll on me. My body was weakening and starting to feel heavy. I would be lucky to make it another hour or so.

"I am the super expert bridge builder Tazuna. I expect you to provide me with expert protection until I get back to my country and complete the bridge.

*********

I made it to the gates to meet everyone before the exhaustion really kicked in. I stumbled over my own feet and went sprawling on the ground. I was seriously considering falling asleep right there. My eyes started to close.

"Hazuki."

I opened them to see Sasuke standing above me, looking worried. I hope he didn't plan on carrying me. When I'm this tired it's like I ramble and tend to say nothing but the truth. I made a promise to myself a few years ago to never lie unless it was a life or death situation.

He knelt down and I sighed in resignation. He was going to carry me whether I wanted it or not. I sat up and climbed onto his back, wrapping my arms around his neck and resting my head on his shoulder.

"Thank you Sasuke," I murmured.

"Go to sleep," he replied.

I smiled and laid my head back down, closing my eyes. Instantly I was asleep and instantly the stupid nightmares started.

Blood was spattered across the walls and the floors. There were bodies everywhere. I could hear Sasuke shouting and crying. It rang through my ears and sparked the same anger inside of me. I could see Itachi standing there, telling Sasuke to hate him and to hold that hate close and let it grow. Then it went back to show exactly what Itachi had done. I watched him slaughter every Uchiha there was and I started to cry.

I woke up then, crying into Sasuke's shoulder silently. I knew we hadn't traveled far or for long. A dream that seemed to last a life time had in reality only lasted a few minutes or so.

"Hazuki," Naruto said, his tone implying he knew I was crying.

"Yes Naruto?" I asked, trying to make my voice normal. Sasuke hadn't noticed that I was crying yet and I wanted to keep it that way.

"Do you want me to carry you?"

Naruto knew me way to well. I was extremely grateful for that.

"Sasuke," I said quietly. I knew he had heard us I mean how could he not? "I think Naruto should carry me for a bit. Then you can take a break."

Sasuke stopped without a word and transferred me over to Naruto. He still hadn't noticed I was crying. I leaned my head on Naruto's shoulder and continued to cry silently. My hair hid my face from the view of the others so only Naruto knew I was crying.

"What was the nightmare about?" he asked softly.

I cringed and hid my face, crying even harder. "I don't really want to talk about it," I croaked, tears streaming down my face. The dreams hadn't affected me like this in a long time. I had a feeling they were only affecting me like this now because I had been near Sasuke and we had become friends again.

"Try to sleep Hazuki. We can't have you all weak and sleeping on your feet," he said.

I giggled a little bit. "So good to know you care," I said teasingly, starting to calm down.

"I do my best!" he shouted cheerfully. I laughed out loud and wiped away the last of my tears. I should have known Naruto would cheer me up.

"You do your best to be a goof!" I shouted, jumping down from his grip and dancing off.

"This means war!" he shouted, running after me.

I turned around and stuck my tongue out at him. "War for you, fun for me!" I said delightedly. I ran behind Sakura and grinned evilly at Naruto.

"Now will you sacrifice the maiden to get me? Or will you give up your quest for love?"

"WHAT?" Sakura screeched, causing me to laugh. I ran out from behind her and ducked behind Tazuna.

"I am so dead," he muttered, taking a swig of his sake.

"I'll get you Hazuki!" Naruto shouted, grinning like an idiot. "Just you wait!"

"Oh really?" I said, grinning evilly. "You should probably look behind you then."

My clone tackled him before he could and suddenly we were having an epic battle between clones. I cheered for team Hazuki and he cheered for team Uzumaki. Sakura encouraged Naruto because she didn't particularly like me but she looked horrified when Sasuke started egging me on. Kakashi looked resigned to our antics and I was glad he didn't put a stop to it. I needed some cheering up and what better way then goofing off with Naruto?

"Haha, I win!" I cheered, spinning around. Naruto was laughing at me as I twirled around. I stopped and grinned at him.

"We are such total goofs," I said, giggling.

"Well, you needed cheering up," Naruto said happily. Everyone looked at me, seeming rather surprised by his words.

"You're right I did," I said, smiling softly. "I think that's the most I've needed cheering up in a while."

"You haven't been that down since you and Sasuke had that big fight."

I frowned. I hadn't thought I was that down. I had easily been cheered up anyways.

"Oh well," I said brightly. I'll catch up on my sleep when we get to the wave country!"

Just then we passed a puddle. I glanced at it and then the sky, and then the ground. Completely dry ground, no clouds in sight...idiots. I thought the biggest idiots were back on Konoha! And Tazuna isn't supposed to have ninja after him.

I let my hand slide ever so casually to my kunai holder and pull one out. I could hear the heartbeats from the puddle. There were two of them. I spun and threw the kunai as the first one came out of the water. I hit my target dead on, sending him flying into a tree where he was stuck. The next one came out and landed behind Naruto.

Big mistake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry bout the cliff hanger. I'll update soon.
Hehe. I liked writing the part where they were all goofy.
This story is comin along fast! I have writers block on my other two stories so working on this on is a relief.
Do you like it? Do you love it? Do you want some more of it?
(haha! I know the 'like it, love it, want some more of it' comes from a song but I have no clue what one! Or maybe it doesn't and I'm imagining things. Probably the latter.)
I am n a seriously giddy, happy go lucky mood. Not a clue why either! XD
hehe. Not many readers but I love you guys anyways!
-WF