Status: Three Part miny series completed

The Hockey Queen

Part Three

It had been 3 weeks since I joined the Warriors and in 3 weeks, it had been insane. My first game was a living nightmare! Men from other teams didn't like the idea of a woman playing against them. The other players would hit me or push me into the boards and call me girly girl or sissy. I had score eight goals and had 15 assists but that didn't stop players from not liking me. Even if the players liked me or not the Warriors were starting to get better. We broke the six game losing streak and won nine out of eleven games. We moved up from being last place to being 3rd place in the league. We made it to the play offs and won round 1 and 2. Now tonight we have to win to make it to the championship game. I was sitting on my little bench tying my skates. Kris came in and sat down next to me, "Hey, you ready for the game?" He asked. I had become real good friends with the guys on the team. "Ya. Now you guys better remember the drills we did this morning." I said standing up and grabbing my helmet and stick. During our practices I would make up thses drills and plays that we use during games. "Don't worry we remember." Kris said. smiling. Coach Jim came out of his office and got all the players attentions. "Ok guys listen up!" He said. "We're playing a pretty tough team out there and I just want you to play as good as you can. Don't let them capitalize over you. Just get the puck, score some goals, block shots, make saves, and stay out of the penialty box. Ok now lets go get them!" The coach said. We cheered and went out on the ice. Our fans cheered and routed for us to win. I looked into the sea of fans and found my dad and Stacey in the audience. I went to center ice and waited for the referee to drop the puck. Once he did I won the face off and the game started. I went after the puck but was pushe hard into the boards. The player that pushed me said, "Sorry but this is a man's game." He gave me an evil smile.
"Really so then why are you playing?" I said to him. His smile faded and he pushed me. I went to push him back but Shawn came over and punched him. They started hitting eachother and rolling around on the scratched ice. The two referee's pulled them apart and they both got a five minute penialty. We scored the first goal but then in the second periode they tied us. In the third periode no one scored so had to go to overtime. I was on the bench watching the other team carry the puck inot our end. One of there players shot the puck but Alex made a great save. When it was my turn I got on the ice. Shawn passed the puck to me and I quickly looked at the clock. With 30 seconds remaining in overtime I decided to do my slapshot. I pulled my stick up into the air and shot the puck as hard as I could. Soon enough the puck went into the net. I put my arms up and cheered. I heard the game buzzer go off and the fans roared with excitment. All of the guys came over to me and jumped on top of me. We were going to the Championship game! I was so happy that I didn't even mind having a bunch of smelly hockey players on top of me although they were cryshing me. After we celebrated the win we got off the ice and walked back into the locker room. Everyone was congratulating me on the goal and the win. "Trish." I turned and saw Alex. I ran over to him and hugged him. We hugged for a while and then pulled apart. "Um great game." He said.
"Thanks you too." I said.
"Ya, I can't believe we're going to the championships!" Alex said stuttering with his English.
"Ya." I said looking down at my skates.
"Hey um are you doing anything tomorrow?" He asked me.
I smiled, "No why? Where are you taking me?"
"Ha. Wherever you want to go."
"Ok pick me up at 2:30 then."
"Ok it's a date then." He said with his thick accent. I said goodbye to Alex and the rest of the guys. I went outside and met my dad and Stacey outside. "Sweetie congrates on the win." My dad said.
"Thanks." I said hugging him.
"Your mom would have been very proud of you." He said. I smiled then hugged Stacey. I still Couldn't believe we made it to the Championship game.
I walked into the ice rink feeling nervous. Today was the championship game against the Concord Snakes. The Snakes were a very good, very talented, very tough team to beat. They won the championship last year and the year before that too. I was in the locker room ready for the game. The last time we played the Snakes I was pushed into the glass by their captain and hit my head hard. I had a headache for like a week. Coach Jim came in and started talking. "Ok everyone listen up. We havn't been to the championship since the last time we won which was in 1994. We used to be dead last but since Trish came and helped us out, we're one step away from winnning the championship. So we all want to thank you Trish for everything you've done. Your like our...um?"
"Our Hockey Queen!" Kris said. Everyone laughed.
"Yes what Kris said, our Hockey Queen." Jim said.
I stood up. "Thank you guys really. I should be thanking you guys for accepting me to your team. Now lets get out there and win that championship!" I screamed. We all stood up and ran to the ice cheering along with our fans. The game had started and I was already being targeted by their captain Josh Myers. He pushed me into the boards and made me fall to the ice. Our fans booed for a penalty but nothing was called. I skated to the bench and grabbed my gateraid bottle. As I took a drink Will said to me, "Man Myers must really like you if he keeps hitting you into the boards."
"Ha Ha don't make me laugh." I said. I watched as the Snakes got the puck and put it past Alex. I heard, "Aww" or "Man come on" from our bench.
"Its alright boys, come on we can tie this game!" I said to the guys trying to boost their confidence. When I went on the ice I got the puck from Austin, one of our defencemen and passed it to Shawn who shot it in. "Score! Nice guys!" I said hugging Austin and Shawn. We skated back to the bench and waited for the first periode to end. When the second periode started we scored a powerplay goal. We were a head 2-1 but then when I had the puck Josh Myers came over and hit me into the side of their net. Then he took the puck from me and skated away. I sat there for a little bit but then I started to get up. I rubbed my side as I heard their goaile ask, "Hey are you ok?"
"Ya I'm fine." I said.
"Don't worry about Myers. He's a jerk."
"Ha thanks uh," I looked at his last name on his jersey. "Fender." I smiled. He nodded as I skated to the bench. When I sat down Jim came over to me. "You alright?" He asked. Inodded and cotinued watching. Josh still had the puck and within five seconds he scored and tied the game. He skated by me and winked at me. I looked away annoyed. When the second periode ended they were in the lead 3 to 2. When I got off the ice I saw Josh standing there so I walked over to him and said, "What is your problem?"
"What are you talking about? Its the game of hockey your supposed to hit players." He said smirking.
"Ya well I'm the only player you hit." I said angrily.
"Whatever. Hey you wanna go out sometime?"
"No you jerk." I turned and walked away. I heard him laughing behind me as I rolled my eyes. I went into the locher room and felt like saying something to the team so I did. " Ok guys, we're down by one goal. We can tie this game and hopefully win." I continued, "We are champions, we will be champions and no one's gonna stop us!" We all cheered and went back to the ice for the final 20 minuets of our game. Ten minuets into the third I got the puck from Shawn and passed it back to Shawn who skated up to the net and shot the puck but the their goalie poked it away. I got the rebound and shot the puck into the net. "Yes! We tied the game!" I said celebrating with other players from our team. I went to the bench and looked up at the clock. We were only eight minutes away from either winnning, losing, or going into over time. Then with five minutes left Kris got the puck and with a hard shot, shot it in the net. Everyone on the bench stood up and cheered. We were now so close to winning the championship. I went on the ice and saw that there was only one minute left in the periode. The Snakes had pulled thier goalie and had a sixth player on the ice. They kept shooting the puck at the net and I could tell Alex was having a hard time making quick saves. I was standing next to our net when I saw Josh with the puck. He shot it as hard as he could. I looked at Alex and saw that he didn't know where the puck was so I dropped my stick and jumped to the net. Everything felt like slow motion especuially the time. I saw the puck pass Alex but not pass the goal line so as quickly as I could I grabbed my stick and pulled the puck away. Then the fans stood up and cheered as I heard waht I couldn't wait to hear. The game buzzer went off. I stood up and ran over to Alex and knocked him down to the ice. Soon all of the players on our team were all in a big pile screaming with excitment and joy.
We won the championship! After about what felt like hours of celebrating, we all stood up and shook hands with the other team. I gave them little smiles and told them good game. Then Myers shook my hand, "Congrats on the win." He said.
"Thanks good game." I said.
"Ya listen I'm sorry about earlier." He said.
"Forget about it." I smiled. Myers said goodbye to me and left. I talked to other people until I saw my dad and Stacey come on the ice. Iskated up to them and hugged them. "Congrats Trish! I'm so happy for you!" Stacey said.
"Ya I just wish your mom was here to see it."My dad said.
"Oh I'm sure she's watching somewhere." I said smiling and hugging him again. We watched as they brought out the golden trophy out on the ice. The team took a picture with it and each of us held it. When I held it all I could do was think of my mom. A tear slid out of my eye as I looked into the gold. "There she is." I looked and saw Jim walking toward me with a woman. The woman was tall with blonde hair and green eyes. I hugged Jim and then was introduced to the woman.
"Trish this is Valery Donoldson. She is the head of the Women's National Hockey League. She watched you play today." Jim said. I shook Valery's hand. "Your mother was an increadable player. You play just like her." She said.
"She taught me everything I know now." I said.
"Well I'm glad she did. Anyway I would like you to join one of the teams in my league." She said.
"You mean play in the women's league?" I asked shocked. Valery nodded.
"Well I'm really thankful of your offer." I said. I looked around and saw the boys all standing there listening. "But I think I'll stay here with the Warriors." I said. Everyone was shocked.
"If thats what you want then I'll respect that." Valery smiled, said gooodbye, and then walked away.
"Trish I thought it was your dream to play in the women's league?" My dad asked.
"It is but I can't leave these guys yet." I said. My dad smiled and nodded.
"You mean your steeing with us?" Alex asked.
"It's staying and yes I am." I said. The guys cheered and thanked me. I even kissed Alex for a little bit. Then the guys, Jim, Stacey, and my dad all started chanting the hockey queen. And soon so did the fans and I couldn't help but smile. I liked my new nickname. Trish Taleson, The Hockey Queen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so hoped u liked tht one, it was fun writing nd coming up with the story thanks :)