Sequel: Lumos: Year Two
Status: Active, whether you like it or not.

Lumos: Year One

Villar

Christmas break didn’t last long after that, and Helena found herself back at Hogwarts in no time, to her relief. She spent most of her time in the common room with her roommates, sharing how their breaks had gone. She had brought her phoenix flower with her, setting it on the windowsill that was next to her bed.

That rest of the year seemed to be dreadfully depressing for her, especially since many of the Slytherins were getting ridiculed by the other students once they started their classes back up. Helena stayed rather quiet, avoiding more fighting because she was afraid to find out what her father might do if she were to get sent to Professor McGonagall once more. Pansy Parkinson, on the other hand seemed to enjoy starting arguments with the other houses.

Helena noticed that since she decided to take a much more passive approach for the rest of the year, it gave Pansy a bigger opportunity to lead her entire group, which consisted mostly of the roommate girls. Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle would often sit with them, which made it a lot easier to get along with everyone for Helena, since, for some reason, Draco seemed to calm down the mood.

Helena was sitting in the hallway alone, on one of the benches as she watched Lanee, Dean, and Seamus walk past her. They were all very loud, laughing as they joked around, but the moment they passed her, they all watched in silence as they walked away. Helena flushed in embarrassment, wondering why they were just staring in quietness. She heard someone sit next to her quickly as she looked and saw that it was Millicent.

“Pansy has been talking awful things about you,” Millicent spoke quietly, as though she was afraid that Pansy was watching, “I just thought you ought to know…”

“What do you mean by awful things?” Helena asked curiously.

“How Draco and you talk of your family with such pride… she says that you’re actually just foul traitor blood that is trying to fit back in with the rest of the world.”

“How can she say that when no one has proof that she’s even of pureblood decent!?” Helena crossed her arm.

“We’ve all been thinking that as well… at least your family is known. No one even knows if the family she speaks of even exists.”

Helena looked down in frustration, “Has she said anything else?”

“She’s said quite a few things, but the way that she talks about you… it sounds like she’s just jealous,” Millicent smirked, “If I were you, I wouldn’t worry too much. She just seems to be upset that you’re more known than she is.”

Helena nodded, laughing awkwardly, “Could I… talk to her about this?”

“Of course, just please don’t mention my name. Say that Tracey or Daphne told you.”

Helena nodded as she got up, “Alright, I’ll remember that.”

She tried not to be bothered by the fact that Pansy was muttering nonsense behind her back. She tried not to get to upset though, because she knew deep inside that she expected it. She walked the halls, heading toward the common room so that she could change into her Hogwarts uniform. At dinnertime, it would be their last supper together before going home. She only hoped that Pansy wouldn’t be there already—that way she wouldn’t have to bring up the issue on the spot. She needed time to think over how she would handle the situation. When she got to the dormitory, she changed and headed back out toward the common room, sitting there for a long moment in silence.

She could hear several Slytherin students talking among themselves about Harry Potter and how he somehow killed Professor Quirrell, who apparently was evil and was trying to kill him as well. She didn’t know the whole story, nor did she care, because it wasn’t any of her business. She’d probably hear Draco talk all about it when the time came. It was nearing sundown, and she felt her stomach growling vigorously. She was looking forward to the end-of-year feast with excitement and relief. She was down that the year was ending so fast, though.

When she headed into the Great Hall, she looked around and saw that there were banners everywhere sporting the colors of green and silver for the Slytherin’s winning the house cup once again, for the seventh year in a row. She smiled lightly, heading to the table to sit next to Millicent, Draco, and Pansy. Crabbe and Goyle were next to them, but she didn’t talk to them much.

Everyone was talking very loudly among themselves, and it sounded as though the other houses were trying to shout over each other. She joined the conversations with her friends immediately before Dumbledore had arrived and stood at his podium as normal. People began to fade into silence as he watched them all.

“Another year gone!” Dumbledore spoke loudly, “And I must trouble you with an old man’s wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were… you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts…

“Now as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two.”

Everyone at Helena’s table began roaring with applaud as they cheered for winning first place. Draco, who sat next to her, was aggressively banging a water goblet against the table, growling like a vicious animal. She was trying not laugh at this site, and she could see that other kids in the other houses were watching him with awkward expressions.

“Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin,” Dumbledore nodded, “However, recent events must be taken into account.”

Draco went silent, along with the rest of the Slytherins as his eyes narrowed. Helena tilted her head, curious to what he had meant.

“I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes… first to Mr. Ronald Weasley…”

Draco slammed his hands against the table at this point. He listened as Dumbledore awarded points to Ron, Hermione, and Harry. This tied them with Slytherin, and made Helena purse her lips. She knew what he was doing, and he was probably going to keep awarding them so they could win.

The room was getting louder as they talked of how they were tied for the house cup. Helena watched in silence as Pansy, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were all seething in the corners of her eyes. Dumbledore then raised his hands as the room went silent once more.

“There are all kinds of courage,” Dumbledore smiled, “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom.”

The Gryffindore table started to scream with delight as they bounced around their seat, slamming their fists against their table with glee. Helena just sat there, confused, but amused at the same time. Draco was in silence, looking around with horror as if he had just watched his entire family die.

The colors of the banners immediately changed to red and gold. Pansy crossed her arms as she looked to Helena, “Aren’t you outraged at all? You’re laughing at this entire situation!”

Helena snapped out of her thoughts as she looked to Pansy, “Oh, I’m very upset,” she lied, “This is all a load of waffle.”

She honestly didn’t care much. Hogwarts was her home, and even though the Slytherin’s didn’t win the house cup, she got enough satisfactory out of this year that she needed. It wasn’t like she was going to be able to bring home the cup with her anyways.

Helena and her roommates all packed their trunks with their clothes. As she was heading to the train, she could hear the many professors warning students not to use magic outside of school. She went back onto the lake with Pansy, Millicent and Daphne Greengrass. As they walked over toward the express with their trunks, they headed over to their seats, laughing amongst themselves as they headed toward King’s Cross Station.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last Villar chapter. Keep going on year 2!