Status: completed

The Wood

Part two

Now I can see me. Transparent sheet of air that comes out of my mouth. I'm not totally out. I do not want to leave. I look up. Other desperate souls look at me. They have tears in their eyes. They beg for mercy, help, I can see them wring their hands, mouths half open, yelling that name, that name I know and I cannot say.
The souls form a sort of circle above me. There is a woman, the most desperate of all. The eyes are so alive, so desperate and the dagger is almost pleasant compared to those eyes. She is holding the hand of a child; I know it's his daughter. I know that they have died, have suffered and that little angel is ... I see her, an angel with golden hair, soft, fragrant face, yelling too nasty words to be her. And I see everything through the mother, the agony of her own flesh and being. And I feel all that anger and helplessness and, you know, it smells of death. My breath of life clings to my teeth that I clench of reflex. He cannot win, not until I free that child. I grip the earth sticking my nails, I swallow my soul. There's no one around me. I come back to consciousness of every single cell, that's screaming. The murderess is beside me, on his knees. The bones still clutching the handle. It's okay, but I know it smiles. For skilled tormentor that he is, does a little pressure and then starts his game. He begins to turn that piece of metal and other meat cuts as it spins and digs bones. And I hear them screeching. I arch my back, the pain is all energy, it is breathless cries, it is all. And finally is empty. I'm giving up. I like the dark. There is no happiness, because there is nothing. I should not be there. I could go back and win, but I no longer want to hear. Not anymore. Here I can curl up and let me wrap from eternity. I've always been a coward. Always. Why do I have to be heroine now? "Do not worry, be happy. One love, one heart .... We are together and we'll be fine. I'm praying humanity. One love ... "
Yeah, it is worth suffering for that love, for that child and his mother's eyes. I stretch my consciousness until the red zone. I do not know how else imagine it. I simply reach out a little and what I’m feeling is just impossible. "Do not worry, be happy" forget that child, because the vacuum sucks it all away. I will forget my life, parents, land and bread. I will forget everything. But how much will it take? I really want to forget?
A look in the child’s eyes and I understand. I understand that I will be happy in the pain because I will not be forgotten. Because I will always remember. The air brings the smell of the wood, of the blood, of urine. I have little time. "Be happy". And I yell the name of my tormentor.

And She screams a scream that is like the scratching of the blade on my bones. I have no more strength, I have no breath or body.
But the little girl is smiling again.

I wake up suddenly. I am lying in the woods next to my bike, gently leaned to a tree. Everything is quiet and scent. I lift my shirt. I see a slight white scar just above the navel. It looks like a flicker D. I am confused. "Be happy" is just an echo in the wood, but that sweeps away all doubts.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short story, dark mood. Hope you get the feeling.
G.