I Don't Want A Bloody Dad!

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY PENGUIN!

I hung up the phone.
We didn’t talk for long, thank god. Basically it was just a “hello, how you doing” sort of a thing. I could hear the happiness in his voice though. He sounded like me on a sugar rush. Kind of funny though, made me laugh every now and then. It made him even happier when I laughed the few times that I did.
And then Mikey got the phone back, which was good because both me and He were running out of things to say by then. It had only been about 5 minutes but it felt like forever in my mind.
It was arranged however, that the five of them, along with myself and Charlie, were to go out. Some time. A time and place of my choosing. I guess they didn’t want to pressure me or what so they let me choose. But fuck was I pressured.
Today was the first day me and He had actually had a civilised conversation (well not that it was a conversation, more like a long randomer … thingy) and already I’ve been informed that we will be going out on a “day trip” together or whatever the fuck it was supposed to be. But He sounded so excited when He suggested it, and I couldn’t say no to him.
And to think, it was bad thinking of what to say on the phone. Imagine what it’s going to be like in person.

“Miss Richards. Will you please sit down! I’m trying to teach a history lesson!”
“Yes, I know Mrs Lawson, I was just getting a sharpener!”
“Just sit down Scarlet for pity’s sake.
I growled, but she just growled right back. That teacher was getting some head on her I’m serious. Definitely needed to be fixed someday.
“So anyway Scarlet, what did he say to you next?”
I turned around in my seat after I sat down, and leant on Becky’s desk.
“Nothing much. Just something like a mumble and then “love you and I’ll see you soon.” ”
“A mumble?”
“Yes a mumble. As in I couldn’t hear what he said, and therefore sounded like a mumble.”
“Oh. What did you say to that then?”
“Told him “yeah i suppose I’ll see you soon” and “bye” why?”
Becky sighed in exasperation, “Aw Scarlet! You should have said something more daughterly, like “yeah love you too daddy” yeah you definitely should have said that!” Becky started giggling uncontrollably.
“Miss Way, please refrain from laughing like that in my classroom in future please.”
“Ahy no bother Miss L!”
“And why should I have said that chick?”
“Because! He’s your father! He went out on a limb and said “I love you” you should have at least said something like “I’ll see you soon dad” or something. Common courtesy and all that. Frankie was probably crushed after you said that.”
I gave Becky the Look, and she started giggling again.
“What’s the Look for?”
“Because Becky! I’m not going to be calling him dad, or daddy, or papa or any of that shit any time soon! Mostly because he ain’t any of those things to me so he doesn’t deserve getting those names. I’m going to call him Frank, just like everyone else does. Maybe Mr. Iero. Depends on how I’m feeling I suppose.”
“You know, technically your surname is actually Iero, not Richards.”
“What are you on about? I’m down on the records as Richards.”
“Yeah. Because your mom changed your surname after you both disappeared. It was Iero at first.”
“And how do you know that exactly Becky?”
“Because I’ve seen your original birth certificate. And anyway Frankie says so.”
And she folded her arms and grinned like because the fact that “Frankie said so” was the ultimate explanation and was the Be all and End all of the conversation. In her head, precious “Frankie” could do no wrong. So I just grunted in reply and turned around in my seat, picked up my pen and continued taking notes from the whiteboard. First time in god knows how long.
But when I thought about it, Scarlet Iero seemed to fit me more than Scarlet Richards.
Doesn’t mean I’d be getting my name changed any day soon though.

“Scarlet? You not talking to me now or something?”
I turn around again and look at Becky, “Course I am. Why?”
“Well you just turned around and started taking notes and stuff. Since when did the infamous Scarlet, taker of no notes by rule, ever do that?”
“Yeah well. Need to catch up in class and all that jazz. Getting behind.”
The look on Becky’s face said it all. She was damn fucking confused. Kind of funny when I look back on it.
“Scarlet? ARE YOU IN THERE! ALIEN MONSTER LET GO OF MY FRIEND I BEG OF YOU WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY SCARLET!”
“Miss Way! Either be quiet this instant or go to Mr. Bradson’s office and we’ll get your uncles up here!”
“DEAR LORD ALIEN THINGYS WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY PENGUIN!”
“OFFICE NOW MISS WAY!”
Becky stood up and began to make her way out of the room.
“I’M GOING TOO. DON’T LEAVE ME HERE BECKY! SAVE ME! CHAV INVASION!”
And with that, I stood up, swung the messenger bag I had over my shoulders, linked arms with Becky and we walked out together.
Wait, did the old bag say “we’ll get your uncles up here”?
Where’s her parents?
But then again, I get to see Mikey!
Smiles all around people.