‹ Prequel: Maid of Honor
Sequel: The Newlyweds
Status: Complete ♥

The Bride

Twenty-Six ♥

The ride there, to the place I was getting married, was almost silent. I didn’t have anything to say at the moment. I was content with myself, and this day. As I drove the white truck down the roads, we all got some weird smiles. Momma Ohh rode up front with me, making my two bridesmaids sit in the bed of the white truck. I guess I would look at someone weird to if they were driving down a small back road in a wedding dress with girls in the bed of a truck. It’s not something that you see every day, but then again it is Arizona. At least my veil wasn’t hanging out of the window or anything.
I let my eyes slightly roam everything that we passed. I took it all in. I can’t exactly explain why, but I felt as if I needed to remember every single part of today. The landmarks are gorgeous and very familiar, but it was different this time. This is the last time I will be drive somewhere before I get married. It’s a huge milestone in every woman’s life. Admit it or not, girls dream of their ideal wedding when they were younger. I’m just lucky enough that everything had fallen into place. I’m not going to lie, there are a few adjustments, as the place and the photographer, and even the groom. When I was seven, I thought I was going to marry Steven Tyler. See how that turned out?
Nothing ever goes as we plan. Life is weird that way. I wasn’t thinking of marriage when I was fifteen, but John was. John could see our life together, before I even thought about loving him. He just knew that it was going to be us against the world one day. He knew that I would fall desperately in love with him, but when he started to second guess what he knew was when my fall started. Well, I wouldn’t exactly say that’s when it started, but that is when I realized that he would be the one to catch me on my way down. I was about to finally land in someone else’s arms instead of bracing for sudden impact.
“Dorinda, honey…it’s time,” Momma Ohh stated as she placed a soft hand on my bare shoulder. I didn’t even realize that we had made it to our destination. I had then noticed that Maria, and Julie were all waiting for the three of us to get out of the truck. I was shocked that I had zoned out completely but got us there safely. I prayed to God, thanking Him for allowing me not to kill us all on the way over.
I breathed in a heavy sigh.
“It’s time,” I whispered back seconds after Momma Ohh got out of the truck. She was over to my side and helping me slip out of the vehicle without hurting myself or the dress. She walked with me slowly to the cover of the tress, the only real cover we have here. Sitting in a wheel chair was my dad and his nurse Sara. Maria and Julie looked like giddy school girls with their bouquets in hand, and smiles on their faces.
“You look beautiful baby girl,” My dad smiled at me. I bent down to kiss him forehead softly.
“Thanks, daddy,” I replied with a small smile. “Is everyone ready?” I questioned.
“I’ll go out there to tell the pastor that we’re ready,” Momma Ohh started. “You look breath-taking, Dorinda
“Thank you,” I smiled again before the disappeared. I turned to my Bridesmaids. “Oh my gosh, I’m about to get married,”
“You’re about to get married to your best friend, John.” Julie laughed.
“You’re about to get married to your best friend, John in a open field,” Maria added on. “How much weirder can this get?”
“You haven’t seen our wedding cake.” I winked playfully at them.
Maria rolled her eyes.
“Whatever,”
My ear perked at the sound of our wedding march.
“Okay…now it’s time…like officially.” I rambled a little bit. Julie stepped into place, walking from the trees into the open field where everyone was sitting. Not many people were invited. Just the boys Rocket, Before You Exit (for my obvious crush on the lead singer), and some of our families came. It was small.
“You got this,” Maria cooed before handing me over my bouquet. “This is what you’ve been waiting for baby doll.”
“I know. Now go on out there!” I joked.
Maria listened to me anyway and started walking down our makeshift aisle before me.
“Let’s rock, Princess.” My dad playfully winked as Sara started to slowly push him forward. I grabbed his left hand, though he couldn’t feel it, and held it tightly to myself. I walked slowly, due to his wheel chair having slight trouble going over the terrain. The moment I spotted John, it felt like time stopped. His smiled grew wide, almost the same one I saw at his first wedding. However, this smile was bigger. He just looked happier. I knew I had the same smile etched onto my own face. We finally reached John, Kennedy, Jared, and the pastor. My dad gave me away before being pushed safely to a spot dedicated just for him. I stared into John’s eyes, knowing that everything will always be alright when I’m with him. Then it finally came to our vows. We wrote them ourselves, which made me happy to do, but mine will be crap next to John’s.
“Dorinda, I’ve known you since you moved here. You were a year younger, had more muscles than I did, and you’re a girl. It’s no secret that I’m incredibly shy in front of girls. You were forced into talking to me for a project. I’ll always thank Mr. H for doing that for us. That started our beautiful friendship. When I was sixteen, I knew that I was going to spend the rest of my life with you. I could see this day. I knew that you were it for me. I almost lost hope, but you let me in. I can’t believe that half of this is happening, but it’s where I want to be. I’ve told you this before, but you’re my Saving Grace. I’ve never been able to really function without you. It’s funny, and stupid, but you are my better half. You’re my missing piece. I promise that I will always be there for you, even if we’re miles apart. All you have to do is call me, and I’ll be right there. I promise that no one other than you will ever have my heart. It has been that way for a long time now. I want to spend eternity with you, because forever just isn’t long enough.”
“John, I thought that you were crazy when you asked me to marry you when you turned twenty-three. I thought I was going insane when I promised you that I would. At the time, I didn’t see that we would ever be more than friends. I honestly didn’t, but I know now that I was stupid. I was already falling for you, and I didn’t even realize it. All of your stupid jokes, and cute smiles attracted me to you. I thought you were weird and funny, but I loved you anyway. I knew that I loved you growing up. I just didn’t realize that I’m in love with you. You’re amazing, John. Sure, you mess up, but we are all human. Without you, I wouldn’t know who I am. I wouldn’t have a backbone. You’ve always been there for me when I needed you, and I the same. I promise never to go anywhere. I promise to always show love before hurt, and understanding before anger. I know that being with you won’t be easy, nothing ever is. But I love you. I want to stand by your side even when you’re not physically there. You’re mine, John. I want to be with you way past forever. I just want you,”
I felt like I was weightless when I finished my vows. Everything that I’ve been trying to say to him, finally came out at our wedding. Every action, I could finally put to words. I loved him no matter what.
“The Brides ring?” The Pastor asked. Kennedy stepped forward, being the best man, and handed the ring to him. “May this ring be blessed so he who gives it and she who wears it may abide in peace, and continue to love in life’s end.”
John received the ring and slowly slid it onto my finger, above the engagement ring.
“With this ring I thee wed. Wear it as a symbol of our love and commitment.” John stated with a huge grin.
“The Grooms ring?” The Pastor asked and Maria handed over the ring. “May this ring be blessed so she who gives it and he who wears it may abide in peace, and continue to love in life’s end.”
I was handed the ring and did the same to John’s ring finger.
“With this ring, I thee wed. Wear it as a symbol of our love and commitment.” I replied.
I heard soft music starting to play. I noticed quickly that it was I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing. I knew that it was the Rocket boys who were playing the track softly before the song stopped and they took their seats on the stage.
“May this couple be prepared to continue to give, be able to forgive and experience more and more joy with each passing day, with each passing year. John and Dorinda, are now beginning their married life together, we hope that they may have loving assistance from their family, the constant support of friends, and a long life with good health and everlasting love. In so much as John and Dorinda have consented to live forever together in wedlock, and have witnessed the same before this company, having given and pledged their troth, each to the other, and having declared same by the giving and receiving of a ring, I pronounce that they are husband and wife.” He announced before looking at us. “You may now seal the promises you have made with each other with a kiss.”
John slightly smirked before slowly leaning down to kiss me. His arms wrapped around my lower back while my hands went to either side of my face. It was the most amazing feeling in the world. I don’t think that anything could ever beat what had just happened with us. In this moment, nothing could be wrong. I slowly pulled away, not wanting to make everyone wait much longer.
“Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you the loving couple, Mr. and Mrs. John Cornelius O’Callaghan The Fifth.” He announced, finishing up our ceremony. Everyone clapped loudly before they moved away from us for a moment. Seeing as we didn’t have a church, the wedding was a little weird. It was harder to sign the registry. After it was all finished, we could walk together. Our friends and family where waiting to throw rice at us as we walked towards the tent where the reception would be. John’s hand was tightly laced with my own, making me smile. Kennedy, Maria, Jared, and Julie were waiting for us along with Dirk to start taking wedding pictures.
It took us nearly an hour to get at least all of our group pictures with did include Rocket and the rest of The Maine. When we were finally done, the tent started to fill up.
“Thank you so much, Dirk.” I stated, hugging him loosely.
“No problem, Dia. Anything for the two of you,” He smiled at us before giving John a man hug, and then walked off to eat.
“You want some food? Cause I do,” John laughed, leading me over to the food table we had set up. It was catered by some unknown woman who made the best Southern food in the world. I got some fried chicken and hash-brown casserole. It was like heaven in my mouth. John loaded his plate up, making me shake my head at him. He just shrugged and laughed while we sat at our designed spots. The stage already had instruments on it, waiting for whoever it play. I have no idea about the set list. That was all John’s doing, not mine.
I sighed.
“This is just perfect.”
“I thought so to,” He smiled, leaning in for another kiss. “Baby, we just got married.”
“That we did.” I laughed softly.
Soon after everyone finished our food, we went toward the cake. The cake itself was amazing. It looked like art with a little bit of Disney thrown into it.
“You had to go with a Disney cake topper.” John slowly shook his head, laughing.
“Our cake is seriously amazing. Admit it, Johnny, you love it,”
He smiled.
“I do.” He laughed. “Cake time!” He yelled, getting everyone attention. Dirk took pictures while we posed and cut the cake, eating the first two pieces. John knew better than to cake my face, but I didn’t. I pushed the last bit of mine right into his face. He just laughed and shook his head at me before his hands brought my face to his, making the icing and cake get on my face as well. “Pay back, baby.”
I rolled my eyes and grabbed a napkin before I whipped mine off. John was attempting to lick all of his off in vain. I shook my head and grabbed another napkin, only to clean his face off as well.
“I love you,” I stated with a laugh before we got actual slices and sat back down at our table. Wine was poured and we drank merrily.
“Alright, It is time for the Bride and Groom’s first dance.” Kennedy stated.
I felt my mouth go a little slack as I noticed that The rest of the Maine was standing up there too. The difference was that John wasn’t singing, and Kennedy still had his guitar while singing.
“May I have this dance?” John asked me.
I rolled my eyes and nodded my head before I grabbed a hold of his hand, and he led me to the dance floor. They started to play I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing while we danced. It was a nice cover of the song that I loved so much.
“I can’t believe how amazing this day has been,” I admitted.
“It went by perfectly if you ask me. No bumps.”
“Unlike our relationship over the years,”
“But I’m glad that we ended up the way that we did. We’ve been through hard stuff. Times that proved us more than ready to be together…now we finally are.”
“Stop being all wise,” I whispered before hugging his body closer to mine. “This is my dream wedding.”
“It’s mine too.”
“So you envisioned that you would have a Beauty and The Beast wedding cake topper?”
“No, but I did envision you,”
“Good Lord, you are corny.”
“I know this,” John chuckled, his deep voice sending chills up and down my entire body. The song slowly ended and we returned to our seats. We chatted with a few other family and friend while 1,2,3,4 originally by the Plain White T’s was covered. For the daddy/daughter dancing, my father and I tried to dance to My Wish by Rascal Flatts, because he simply loved the song, and I’d do anything for my dad.
The rest of the Maine continued to entertain by playing another Aerosmith classic, Jaded followed by a cover of I Will Follow You Into The Dark from Death Cab For Cutie. Daydream Away by All Time Low was even played before A Rocket To The Moon came up to sing their own song, On Your Side. After the songs were played, a DJ took over to play some upbeat songs that people could dance to. It was eventful and nothing short of amazing.
The time came where John stole my garder, causing Jared to catch it. I’ve never seen the ginger/blonde boy turn as red as he did. I just sat in the chair and laughed while every girl gathered for the bouquet toss. I closed my eyes, and tossed it back behind me. I heard a bunch to laughing before I turned around to find who had caught the bouquet. I giggle, seeing a nervous looking Kendra and Pat laughing. He thought it was funny that his young girlfriend had caught it. I mentally awed before wrapping my arms around his torso.
“Now what?” I asked playfully.
“Now we go talk to my parents and drink some more.” John laughed. “Come on, Mrs. O’Callaghan. No feet dragging.”
I rolled my eyes, but smiled widely.
“I’m coming, hubby.” I replied.
John’s grin got even wider.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a long one that hopefully was worth the wait???? I love how it turned out.

Please leave me comments. :)

xoxo Rae Wakefield