Please Be Mine

Chapter 3

Riley was beat. She had unpacked twenty-six boxes and could barely feel her arms anymore.

"Oh god I want to die right now," she said to herself as she fell back on the couch.

She was enjoying the peaceful feeling of doing nothing when someone knocked on her door.

"Go away," she moaned.
"Open the door Riley," Max's voice rang through the door.
"You really need to go away."
"Come on, open up."

She sighed and rolled off the couch and opened the door to a smiling Max.

"Why?" she simply asked.
"Well you spent the whole day on your own and I thought you'd like some company."

Riley wasn't going to send him off and actually thought the gesture was sweet.

"Come in Max."

He walked into the condo with a giant smile and into the living room.

"Wow this place is huge," he said.
"Yeah, kind of creepy but I get a lot of breathing room. I don't mind being alone, I'm kind of a loser."
"No, don't say that."
"I mean don't get me wrong I go out with my friends and have done my share of partying but every once in a while I just become a little home body."
"Well that's not going to happen now that you're here."
"I doubt it. Want a beer?"
"Sure."

She grabbed a couple of beers and sat next to him on the couch.

"So come on, what's your story?" Max asked.
"I told you most of it the other day. I just got lucky."
"Any hobbies?"
"Well aside from dealing with whiny athletes I really like blogging. I have a hockey blog actually where I post hockey photos."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah. They have blogs dedicated to players and everything. One is dedicated to you."
"Yeah? Can I see it?"
"One second."

She grabbed her laptop and pulled up Tumblr.

"To be honest a lot of these girls are psycho. They claim players as their own and talk shit about any girl that comes near them and are photographed with them."
"This is insane," he said as he scrolled through a blog.
"It is. I post photos and videos and that's it. On my personal it's different pictures and sometimes pictures of myself. I don't get involved in any drama. It's not worth it."
"So do these hockey girls know you're working here?"
"No. I put it on my personal but not on my hockey blog. They probably wouldn't believe if I said it and then they'd just talk shit. I don't want to deal with that. I want to focus on my job and that's it. I don't even planning on blogging that much. It's just fun for me. How's that for being a loser?"

He chuckled.

"Hey if it's something that makes you happy then I think it's cool."
"Now you're just lying."
"Honest."
"Thanks Max and thanks for coming over, that's really thoughtful of you."
"I think you're really cool and we're gonna be working with each other almost every day, might as well get to know each other now."

She sighed.

"We work together Max and I think the best thing to do is keep our relationship professional."
"So we can't be friends?"
"I think that crosses boundaries that shouldn't be crossed."
"You're an adult Riley; you can decide who you want to be friends with."
"It's just if we start hanging out together people might get the wrong idea and I really don't want to be the topic of those blogs."
"Well they're gonna eventually see pictures of you behind the bench."
"I'll deal with that when the time comes but it's different to be seen behind the bench than it is at a bar with you guys."
"I think you're taking this all way too seriously."
"Of course I am. This is my job and I can't do anything that's going to jeopardize my position. Please just understand that."

He shook his head and stood up.

"Well I guess I'll be going then. I'll see you at the game tomorrow."
"Max..."
"Goodnight Riley," he said before letting himself out.

Riley rested her head on the couch, feeling bad for what she said to Max. He was a really nice guy and she would love to be his friend but she just didn't want people to look at her the wrong way and think she was there for the guys.

The following day was awkward to say the least. Max kept his distance from Riley, getting his wrist taped by Greg and everything.

"Riley is everything ok between you and Max?" Sidney asked while the team was out on the ice for the third.
"It's complicated Sidney."
"You know Max has a big heart and I'm sure he didn't mean what he said."
"Well to be honest it was me that said something. I had to do it though. The guys will be in soon so I'm going to get ready for them. Excuse me."

She walked into the training room leaving Sidney guessing what exactly happened between those two.

"Good game guys," Riley said to the players that sat in the training room.
"Thanks Riley. Any chance you'll come out with us tonight?" Jordan asked.
"I can't but you guys have fun."
"Come on, just one drink."
"I really shouldn't, I'm sorry."
"You suck."

She shrugged as she handed an ice bag to Tyler.

It was only a matter of time before she was home, showered and in bed.
"Max what happened between you and Riley? You guys looked like you were really getting along and today you didn't even look at her," Sidney asked.
"It's complicated."
"That's the same shit she said. What happened?"
"She just thinks it better to keep our relationship strictly professional. She doesn't want to befriend any of us because she thinks people are going to look at her as some puck bunny."
"Seriously?"
"Yeah man. She showed me these blogs and those girls tear up anyone that comes near their favorite players. I don't think she wants to be a target."
"Fucking fans are insane sometimes."
"Most of the time," Pascal corrected.
"Do you like her bro?"
"I don't know. She's just different and something about her really intrigues me."
"Awe Talbo's got a crush on the trainer," Flower said with a laugh.
"Shut up. Obviously she wants nothing to do with me outside of work so it doesn't matter what I think."
"It doesn't mean you have to ignore her. She tried to talk to you and you walked right by her. Way to be mature man."
"Yeah that was pretty stupid huh?" Max asked.
"Absolutely and you need to fix it."
"Should I go to her place?"
"Whoa, no. Boundaries bro. You wait until Thursday when we fly out. You can corner her on the plane or something."

Max huffed but nodded. "Fine."
Riley had a few friends in Pittsburgh so she spent Wednesday out with them.

"So working with a hockey team huh?" her friend Lila asked over frozen yogurt. "Must be a dream come true."
"It is. It's the fucking Penguins and they're treating me well."
"Do you hang out with the players often?"
"No, I've chosen not to."
"What? Why the hell not?"
"Because I don't want to let anything distract me from my job and it won't look right if I went out with them."
"That's stupid Riley. You're not a puck bunny, everyone that knows you knows that."
"Yeah but everyone else doesn't."
"You obviously seem a little upset about this."
"Well there's just this one player in particular."
"Who?"
"You don't need to know."
"Oh come on."
"No."
"Well what's the story with him?"
"I don't know. We sort of hit it off from day one and he's reached out to me. When I realized we were getting too close though I told him we shouldn't be friends."
"Wow, you're an idiot."
"You need to look at it from my stand point. This is a career that I have and I'm not going to fuck it up because of a guy. I also don't want people to look at me and think I'm a slut."
"Nobody is going to think that."
"The people on Tumblr will."
"Oh fuck them. Who cares what they think?"
"I don't it's just... I don't know."
"Riley you need to fix this. Do not shut these guys, especially this mystery one. I bet they're real fun to hang out with and will definitely protect you from anything and anyone. Tomorrow when you get to the airport apologize to mystery guy and just make things right, ok?"
"Ok."
"Let's go back to your place, I'm in the movie watching mood."

And that's exactly what they did for the rest of the night, watch movies.
Max pulled into the private parking lot at the airport and noticed a G-Wagon he had never seen before parked a couple spots down. When the door opened he was surprised to see it was Riley.

He quickly got out of his car and walked over to her.

"Need help?" he asked about her suitcase.
"Yes please." He pulled the suitcase out and plopped it down in front of her. "Thanks Max."
"Look Riley I really want to apologize for the way I acted on Tuesday. I was being immature and a total idiot."
"I deserved it. I was overreacting and really don't see a problem with us being friends. Sorry for being an idiot."
"You weren't being an idiot."
"There you go with the lies again."
"I'll let you think what you want. Want me to take your bag for you?"
"It rolls, I'm good."
"All right let me grab mine and we can walk to the plane together."

She waited for him to grab his duffel bag then headed off to the plane.

"Riley!" a couple guys yelled.
"What's up everyone?"
"Are we all friends now?" Jordan asked.
"Yes we're friends."
"Awesome. Sit next to me for the plane ride. I have Modern Family on DVD."
"Oh man I love that show!"

Riley jumped over Jordan and sat in the window seat.

"Gee, thanks Riley," Max said.
"Dude you slept in the same room with her, relax," Jordan said as he set his laptop up.
"You've broken my heart Riley."
"You'll live Max, I promise."

Jordan and Riley plugged in their headphones and were out of commission the whole flight.

"That show is genius," Riley said as they walked off the plane in New York.
"And Sofia Vergara is so hot!"
"I knew you were going to say that. I'll see you on the bus Jordan."
"All right."

Riley stayed by the stairs and waited for Max to come down.

"You were waiting for me?" he asked.
"Yes."
"Are you going to make up for not sitting next to me?"
"I'll sit with you on the bus."
"That's not enough. Let me take you out tonight."
"Max..."
"As friends, just friends. It'll be fun."
"Ok."
"Great."

They went straight from the airport to the rink for a quick practice and didn't get to the hotel til' about seven.

"Riley what room are you in?" Max asked.
"624."
"All right I'll swing by in an hour so we can go."
"Ok Max."

Like clockwork Max was knocking on her door exactly an hour later.

"Well you sure are on time."
"I didn't want to be rude."

She smiled and stepped out of the room.

"So where are we going?" she asked.
"Italian restaurant called Milano's."
"Great, I love Italian food."
"I knew it. God I'm good."
"Stop tooting your own horn and get in the car Max."

He slid in next to her and they headed to Milano's.

"So what's the worst city to play in? You know, fan wise?" Riley asked over dinner.
"Well Philly is always rough and DC of course. Montreal is probably the worst though for any team. Those fans are straight up insane."
"I can imagine. Hopefully you guys won't play them in the playoffs. It sucked last season that they took you and the Capitals out."
"Whoa who whoa. The Capitals?"
She nodded.
"Oh I didn't tell you they're my favorite team?"
"You're kidding right?"
"I'm not," she nonchalantly answered.
"Traitor. Do you even like the Pens?"
"Well yeah but the Hawks are up there too."
"You are breaking my heart yet again."
"Buck up. It's not like I'm going to be cheering for either team when they come down, publically at least."
"Wait until the guys hear this."

She shrugged.

"Sometimes the truth hurts but at least I'm being honest. In fact my hockey blog is named after as Blackhawk.”
"Are you trying to kill me?"

She chuckled.

"If you come to my room tonight at four I will."
"Are you ever going to let me live that down?" he asked with a groan.
"Only when you deserve it."
"You torture me you know that?"
"That's because you let me. You need to relax and stop being so sensitive."
"I'm not sensitive," he said defensively.
"Whatever you say Max."
"I'll be happy when our food gets here so you'll stop talking and making me feel like a douche."
"Now I'm going to take offense to that. Don't be a dick."
"I'm sorry, you're just intimidating."
"Seriously?"
"Yeah. I mean not only are you beautiful but you're successful and smart."
"I'm really not that smart. I just know what I do and do it well. I've gotten into my fair share of trouble."
"Is that where those tattoos came from?" he asked about the tattoos on her arms.
"I did these for me because it was a way to express myself. My trouble was a little more serious than tattoos."
"Care to share?"
"I'd actually prefer not to."
"I promise I won't think any differently of you. Obviously you're not that girl anymore."
"I just really don't like talking about."

Max noticed she was fidgeting with her napkin so he changed the subject.

"So are you a football fan?"
"Patriots all the way."
"Awe man. Steelers?"
"Hate them."
"You're incredible."
"I know, it's a gift."
"So do you have any favorites on the team yet?"
"Jordan."
"Really?"
"Uh huh. He's funny and sweet and super hot."
"Are you saying this to make me jealous?"

She sat back and smiled, not giving Max a definite answer.

They talked about random things throughout dinner, the two getting to know each other a bit better.

"Ice cream? There's a great place around the corner," Max asked as they walked out of the restaurant.
"It's like forty degrees out."
"I'll keep you warm."
"Boundaries Max."
"What? I'm being a gentleman."

She rolled her eyes but nonetheless wrapped her arm around his waist; Max's resting his on her shoulders.

"Holy shit this is good," Riley said once she tasted her ice cream.
"I do not lie. Want to sit and eat it here?"
"I don't mind walking it."
"You sure you're not going to freeze your ass off?"
"I probably will but I've been in the Miami heat for too long, I can use some cold weather."
"Ok, but don't come to me when you're trembling."
"Fine, I won't."

They walked out of the ice cream shop and started walking down the streets of downtown Long Island. It wasn't long though before the cold air caught up to Riley and she tightened her jacket around her body.

"Well, someone looks a little chilly," Max said as he dumped his cup into a trash can.
"I'm fine," she said. "I just need to remember gloves come in handy in places like these."
"All right, as long as you're ok," he said in a subtly sarcastic voice.
"I'm great. Go fuck yourself by the way."
"Come here."

He put his arms around her and rubbed her arms.

"This is a different kind of cold than in Miami."
"There's a wind chill and it's not as humid."
"Hm."
"So doesn't this cross your boundaries rule?"
"I'll make an exception since I can't feel my body."
"All right, let's get a cab and head back."
"Fuck, there are none around."
"We'll wait. I'm sure one will come around soon enough."

She groaned and leaned deeper into Max.

"I don't think I've ever been so close to a guy I just met," she said.
"Well I'm a pretty special guy. They call me superstar for a reason."
"You'd be a lot more attractive if you shut up every once in a while.”
"You think I'm attractive?"
"Don't put words in my mouth."
"Shot down again."
"Get used to it."
"Seriously you're not going to tell me you had a good time tonight?"
"I never said that."

He turned his body so she was directly in front of him and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Don't move," she said before sliding her arms into his jacket. "You're so warm."
"You are too."
"Well I'm not feeling it right now, that's for sure."
"Oh, I see a cab!"

Max waved his arms and the taxi made a u-turn and picked them up.

"Heat!" Riley said as soon as they were in the cab.
"Not used to the cold?" the cab driver asked.
"She's from Miami, Florida and is used to sun and beaches."
"Well you don't get much of that up here."
"She won't in Pittsburgh either."
"That's where y'all came from?"
"Yeah, we're just here for a hockey game."
"Islanders fans?"
"Huge," Max said sarcastically but the driver didn't notice.

He told the driver where to go and they were soon walking into the hotel.

"I'm so tired," Riley said as she dragged her feet to her room.
They approached her room. "Well I guess I'll leave you here then," Max said.
"Where else were you going to leave me? The lobby?"
"I was thinking we could watch a movie or something. I mean it's still early and we can sleep in tomorrow."
"I'm picking the movie. Go change into whatever you guys sleep in if you want and come back."
"Are we going to have a sleepover?"
"Don't make me change my mind."
"I'll be right back."

In the time it took Max to change Riley took her makeup off, freshened up and changed. She didn't find it appropriate to be in her pajama shorts in front of Max so she slipped into leggings and for the hell of it a Capitals shirt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed. Things get more intimate in the next chapter.