Lonesome Dove

Rangers are Restless

Captain Bill spent three days preparing the wagon train for departure. He told them how they would go on, and how the summer rain could be helpful for them. He showed Perry ways to use the rain and sky as a keystone to keep on riding. On day four he and his men left, to the utter surprise of the train.

“What the blazes!” Swore Perry that afternoon. He’d expected them to at least help him get back on track. “Those damn devils, why I oughta…”

All the men of the wagon train gathered together around a large campfire. The women and children stood around the edges, all pooling together they’re finest for a final meal in the rain-filled valley that they were stuck in. Lucy hovered on the fringe, listening to the men discuss the damned-to-hell Rangers.

“They comin’ back?” Asked one of the burly men. Perry shook his head, telling them it most certainly didn’t look like it. Lucy wandered away from the fire, to the edge of the wagon train, and looked out over the waving prairie. She could see that three of the men were gone, but two had lingered behind. She raised a hand to her eyes, shielding them from the sun. It looked like they were preparing to leave. Lucy knew that she could ride out there, she could persuade them to come back.

At her family’s wagon, Lucy wasted no time in bridling the gelding that she considered hers. It was a Mustang that she’d broke in secret, by herself, telling her father that one of the farmhands had done it. Her father had brought the gelding with as one of the two riding horses that could do work, too. He figured that, should need be, he could sell the Mustang and get a pretty penny for it.

“Are you ready to run, Casper?” Lucy asked the gelding, running her hand down the gelding’s black-as-pitch flank. He was an all-black Mustang, but for a white blaze running down his forehead. Lucy looked around and, seeing no one, led Casper over to the wagon. Fast as lightning, she’d mounted up, and was seated surely on his back. In a flash of determination, she wheeled him around and gave him his head, and together they raced after the Rangers.

Casper was sure-footed and fast, and in no time at all they had reached the Rangers. The two remaining were Patches and Sam, and both had just swung into their saddles when Lucy rode up.

“That’s some good riding,” Said Sam, nodding at Casper. For a moment Lucy felt herself balloon with pride, until Sam added, “But not smart riding, you winded your horse. If you’d had to have gone further, he’d colic for sure once you stopped.”

“Aren’t you from the train?” Patches asked Lucy. “I think I recognize you…”

“Yes, I am,” Lucy told him, slightly out of breath. “And speaking of wagon trains—why did Captain Bill leave?” Patches and Sam shrugged. “No matter,” Lucy said, sighing in exasperation. “Would you please come lead us onward? Only for a day or two? Please! Perry isn’t confident enough… we need someone with your knowledge!”

“On one condition,” Said Sam, raising the corner of his mouth in a cocky half-smile. Lucy raised an eyebrow, waiting. “For every day we help your wagon train, you come riding with Patches and I. It’s damn refreshing to see a woman on horseback. And a fairly good horsewoman, too.”

“We’ll give you tips and reminders,” Said Patches, winking at me. “Well whattaya say, Miss… Why, I say, I don’t believe we know your name.”

“No Miss, please,” Said Lucy. “If I’m to ride with you then drop the Miss, we can be friends, I think.” Sam’s eyebrows rocketed skyward at Lucy’s impertinence, while Patches merely nodded in acceptance. “My name is Lucy. Lucy Marie Graves. And yes, I most definitely agree to your proposal.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is Sam flirting or...? Guess you'll just have to find out! ;)