Lonesome Dove

Gone

Days went by, and finally, weeks. At long last, Perry held the confidence to move onward. The people of the wagon train loaded up their goods and prepared to leave the next morning. Lucy wasn't ready to leave, however. In the time she'd spent riding with Patches and Sam, she'd found herself slowly falling for Sam. It seemed, however, that Sam was going to let her go. Lucy accepted the disappointment, trying to with hold the bitterness she felt from it. She spent the day cleaning up the wagon, and preparing for the final night. Her father had been furious that she'd ridden off to persuade Sam and Patches, but since they had stayed, he couldn't help but allow her to ride. Lucy had enjoyed her freedom, but now as the last day came to a close, she knew it would end as Sam and Patches rode off.

It was after dinner that things changed. Lucy was hanging up the pots and pans, and had long since sent Miranda and Timothy to the large fire where everyone was grouped. Even from the wagon, she could hear merry songs and conversation being held. It seemed that she was the only one who didn't want to leave.

"I suppose you're heading out with everyone tomorrow." Lucy jumped, surprised, and whirled around. There stood Sam, leaning against the wagon, his hat in hand. Lucy nodded, and turned back to drying off the utensils they'd eaten with. "You're mighty beautiful, Lucy," Sam said after a long pause. "You don't have to go."

Lucy stopped her drying and turned to face Sam. "Are you asking me to stay?" She asked him, brushing a strand of black hair from her face. She couldn't believe what she was saying--her, beautiful? Lucy looked at Sam, taking him in. He looked the same--same blond hair, same rumpled and dusty clothes. Yet something in his face was different.

"Yes, I am," He answered at last. "Would you do that? Would you stay with me, Lucy?"

"I--I don't know..." Lucy stuttered, trying to gather her scattered thoughts. "Aren't there other women back at Lonesome Dove? Better women?"

He shook his head. "Other women there may be, Lucy, but I want only you." In a few short steps, Sam was before Lucy, gazing down at her. She closed the distance between them, kissing Sam in reply. Lucy had met many men, one always did on the Oregon Trail. But never had she felt such warmth, such a connection, from one before. Lucy knew she was headstrong and stubborn, but Sam didn't treat her like those traits were bad, he took them in stride.

"We can do this," Said Lucy, looking up at Sam. "I'll go with you. But first, I have to convince my father."

Image

Lucy and Sam approached Gregory in the wee hours of the morning, when he was normally off drinking coffee with the other men and discussing oxen. They found him sitting on the wagon bench, looking older than ever. Harsh, weather-worn lines criss-crossed his face, a journey in themselves. Gregory Graves had experienced much hardship in his life, losing his parents at an early age and spending much of his childhood in an orphanage, then losing his dearly loved wife, and now he would be losing his eldest daughter.

"You can't go," He said before they could say a word, all he had to do was see their linked arms and know. "I need you here. You need to set up the homestead."

"Father," Lucy calmed. "Miranda is fifteen. She can handle Timothy, and she is more than ready for a homestead." It was minutes before she realized what was really irking her father. "Papa," She said. "You're not losing me. You can write me a letter, and I will reply. Papa, you have to let me live."

Gregory examined Sam, "And you love her?" He asked him.

Sam cast a small smile to Lucy, "Yes, I love her." He replied.

"Then you have my blessing," Gregory told the couple.

With those simple words, Lucy's life began anew. It would not be an easy one. As with everything, there would be hardship, troubles, and loss. Above all, however, there would be love. And it all began with a simple 'farewell.'