Status: depends...

Shape of My Heart

Seven Years Ago

"Get down, get down, yeah!" A.J. finished the Backstreet Boys' new hit song "Get Down" "Thank you New York City!:

"You all have made this the best first concert in the history of first concerts!" Nick yelled. "We love you all! Each and every one of you!" The arena filled with more ear piercing screams. "Thank you so much!" Nick blew a kiss to the audience as the guys ran backstage full of energy and jumping up and down. "Katie! Did you see me out there!? Ah, man! That was amazing!"

"Nick, you guys were gre-" Nick interrupted me by grabbing my shoulders and giving me a big kiss and ran back to the dressing room. I stood there frozen. I have had the biggest crush on Nick, my best friend, since I was eight and we met at the park...

~*~

Mom and I were running to the park for the last swing. When I finally got to the swing, I noticed a boy on the other swing was crying. "Hi," I said and sat on the swing. "I'm Katie. My mom says I'm not supposed to talk to strangers, but you look pretty innocent."

"Oh, He wiped his eyes. "I- I'm Nick." He stuck his hand out to shake mine, so I took it and shook his hand.

"Are you okay? You looked like you were crying." I asked him and looked him in the eyes.

"Katie! What have I told you about talking to strangers!?" My mom called from behind me. "I am so sorry if she's bothering you." She apologized to Nick.

"She's okay, ma'am." Nick smiled at my mom.

"Okay..." Mom glared at me. "I'll be over by the monkey bars if you need me, Katie. Love you."

"Love you too mommy." I smiled and swung my legs as she made her way over to the monkey bars to watch me. "So, are you okay?" I asked again.

"Kinda... I just got into a band last year and our first CD just went huge over in Japan and now that this has happened, I'll never get my teenage years like I wanted." He sighed. "It's just a lot to take in... and even though I'm close with the guys, I still feel alone... like I have no friends... I can't believe I'm telling this all to a seven year old girl." He put his face in his hands.

"I'm actually eight and a half, thank you very much." I huffed.

"Sorry." He mumbled through his hands.

"I'll be your friend." I smiled at him. "Sure, I'm younger than you, but I can still be your friend."

"I'd like that." He smiled back and wiped his hands on his jeans. "So now what? We go and play with your Barbies? I'll be Ken." He smiled big.

"I ripped all the heads off of all my Barbies," I replied easily as he stared at me, wide-eyed. "and my Ken dolls." I swung back and forth.


~*~

"Katie! Are you coming!? We're going out to eat to celebrate our first concert!" Brian called back at me.

"Coming!" I yelled and ran after them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so after debating with my friends Katie and Kelsi, they finally convinced me to put this story up that I wrote for them. I hope you all enjoy! Oh, and obviously I don't own Nick Carter or any of the Backstreet Boys.