Life of Illusion

The Great Move.

Rolling up my sleeves once more, I wiped the sweat from my brow. This was hard work. I mean, why did I insist on moving here alone? I should have asked someone to help me. Not to mention the fact that I was a foreigner, I didn't really know anyone of the lingo here.

And this yard work. Talk about unkempt. But I guess that's what you get with 15 years of disservice. My things really hadn't arrived from my old home since they had only been shipped out yesterday, and it would probably be about another week. So, I didn't really have anything to set up since I did all the furniture shopping yesterday and it wasn't arriving until tomorrow.

So, all I could do now was pull the weeds from the wrap-around garden and trim the bushes. I couldn't mow, since I didn't have a lawn mower, and I had to walk down to the little store thing for a pair of sheers.

I looked around at my work, feeling a little proud of myself and stood up, stretching my back out a little. “Hello?” A voice called, uncertain. I turned at the sound, where a young, friendly looking woman was standing at the sidewalk, making to turn into the house next to mine. “Oh, my! Are you the girl who just moved into this house?”

“Yes, Ma'am.” I nodded, walking closer so she didn't have to shout.

“You don't look older enough to be out on your own, how old are you dear?” She asked. Now that I was closer, I could see that she was actually older than she looked from a distance. There were wrinkles and age lines crackling along her beautiful face.

“I'm 23, Ma'am.” I said sheepishly, I really wasn't that old, and I certainly didn't look like I should be living in a house of this size all by myself.

“You're not from around here, are you?” She kept up with the questioning, “America, I presume?”

“Oh, yes. Virginia to be exact. Not too much there, honestly.” I smiled.

“Would you like to come for some tea, I don't suppose you've really settled in yet, coming all that way only yesterday, yes?”

“Yeah, I got in yesterday morning.” I nodded, though wondering how she had known.

“How was the trip?”

“Good.” I nodded, following her into the house, though my hands and knees were smeared with dirt. I wish I would have asked her to wait a moment for me to change. My attire left much to be desired at the moment. “It was exhausting, though, but I went to the furniture store and got some new couches and tables and stuff.” I explained needlessly as she directed me to the sink.

“Oh, silly me! I'm Susan Phelps, what's your name, dear?”

“I'm Aline Kingston.” I answered politely. Phelps....why did that name sound familiar?

“Oh, so do you know the people who used to live in that house?” Susan asked curiously.

“Yes, they're my grandparents. They raised me.” I answered proudly.

“Did they? Always enjoyed those two, lovely couple. All right, I imagine?”

“Still as lively as ever.” I laughed happily.

“Then, what brings you here?”

I shrugged, “My grandparents talk about this place all the time, talked about it like it was some sort of fairy tale. So, I got a three-year visa and came out. Pretty much on impulse” I explained as she filled a tea kettle with water and set it on the stove.

“Yes, I remember. They left about 15 years ago, is that when they started to take you up?”

“Uh, yes. My parents were in a terrible accident.” I nodded, it really didn't hurt so much when I talked about it anymore, but people always acted like it was the saddest thing they had heard.

“I'm sorry to hear that.” Susan said sympathetically. “Well, then.” She sighed, “How do you like Sutton Coldfield so far?”

“It's so beautiful. I know I'll just love taking pictures out here.”

“You photograph?”

“Yeah, I'm trying to start up a little business. So, if you know anyone who likes getting their picture taken, I'd be happy to hear from them. I did work a little for the newspaper in Virginia, but since I don't really have a degree, it was only little things.”

We sat down not long after and drank the tea. I didn't really like tea, but since my grandparents drank it so much, I kind of was used to the taste, so I drank the cup to spare Susan's feelings. We talked about mostly my life, since she was such good friends with my grandparents and wanted to know what I was like.

But, she did mention that she had two sons, twins, a couple years older than me. She mentioned them being gone someplace, though she didn't specify where exactly, and would be back tomorrow. I considered the luck on my timing. If she was this sweet, I could only imagine how her sons were. So, sure, I was kind of excited.

“Well, if you'll excuse me, Mrs. Phelps, I have to get back to gardening.” I stood up from her kitchen table, after being fed a few tea cakes. “But, it really had been so nice meeting you.”

“Yes, very well.” She beamed, gathering me in a hug, “Take care of yourself over there, and don't be shy in asking for help.”

“Actually, my furniture and things should be coming in tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they'll bring it in and put it all together, but I really would like some help decorating and organizing.”

“Oh, that would be delightful! My boys won't be home probably until later, so it'll pass the time.” She waved me out the door.

“Oh!” I said while I remember, turning around, “Do you have a lawn mower I could use?”

“Martyn should be home in a bit, I can send him over to mow your lawn, you look absolutely zonked!”

I furrowed my eyebrows at the weird expression. My grandparents may have been British, but they picked up American dialect really fast. I wasn't familiar with all these colloquialisms. But, reasonably, it would probably mean tired or exhausted.

“Thank you so much, Mrs. Phelps!” I waved, going up to the room I had claimed as my own, probably since it had a little bathroom connected to it, and took a shower. I had the essentials, but I would have to go to the store again tomorrow for things like, a fully stocked fridge/pantry, and shampoo and soap.

You know, little things.

I couldn't help but yawn as I set out on the sidewalk with a book. Inside, there was no place to sit unless I wanted to use a corner like some loner, and it was a beautiful, albeit chilly, day. I had just opened up to my page in Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night' when Susan approached with a man who I could only assume was her husband.

“What are you on the ground for?” Susan asked, motioning me to stand. “Come, while Martyn does your lawn, we can come sit on the porch and read.”

“Oh, thanks so much, again.” I gushed, “You're so kind. When I moved here, I thought I would be alone for the first week or so.” I mentioned, following Susan.

“Would you like some tea or water or something, perhaps?”

“Some water would be fine.” I nodded, thanking her once more.

“You knew Elizabeth and Bart, it's the least I can do.”

Though the sun would be setting soon, I read in the dimming light. I absolutely loved reading, and I would read everything. I pretty much had read everything. I had taken up three boxes just with books. This move pretty much drained all my savings, it probably wouldn't have if I didn't need to ship all my stuff.

I had most of my clothes with me in the suitcases, and a few books. And, since I had never bothered with buying a car, I supposed that would have to come at some point as well, or a bike like I usually did. With all my plans running through my mind, it was hard to concentrate on Shakespeare.

Soon enough, Martyn informed me that my lawn was done, and Susan invited me in for dinner. “So, I don't suppose you're sleeping on the floor in the empty house of yours?” Susan began as soon as the dinner was served and steaming on our plates.

“Uhh...” I began, a little embarrassed, “Yes, I was going to, since all the furniture shouldn't be arriving until tomorrow afternoon.” I informed her.

“That's bollocks!” Susan exclaimed, “Come, stay with us for the night, you can stay in one of the boys' rooms.” She offered.

“Oh, no, I couldn't possibly impose any further.” I shook my head.

“Don't be daft, it's not a problem.” Martyn put in, and suddenly I felt like I was being ganged up on my a couple at least twice my age, and they were winning.

“Are you sure it would be alright?” I asked again.

“Aline, if it were a problem, we wouldn't have offered. Stay here for the night.”

“Okay, but to make it up to you, I'm making you a delicious breakfast tomorrow.” I bargained. Susan and Martyn both just laughed and agreed.

As soon as dinner was cleared, Susan led me upstairs and to a room, “I suspect you'd do better in Oliver's room, since he's better at keeping it clean than James is.” She explained, opening into a bed room with blue walls and very tidy.

“Thank you again, Mrs. Phelps.” I said for what felt like the trillionth time today, and hugged her.

“Oh, please, call me Susan, or Sue.” She laughed. “And, I must say, Bart and Liz really raised you right, dear. So polite...”

“I'll be sure to tell them you said that, Mrs. Phelps.” I tipped my head forward. It was a little strange, being doted on by complete strangers, but they were so nice, and Oliver's bed was much more comfortable than my hard wood floor.

I should probably get some rugs for my rooms as well. With the bed side lamp on, I once again began to read Shakespeare, eventually falling asleep with the book on my chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo....
This is a new story that I'm starting obviously...
Yupp.

I hope you like it!!!
Here's Aline's outfit

I'm trying to capture their Bitish....ness by trying to use some lingo, and it doesn't really show up in this chapter, but I'm afraid I'm just going to fail miserably at it.
O.O

Oh well. I've tried.

Peace, Love, Weasley,
Sara Michelle