Life of Illusion

The Last Effort

-Aline-

I had just woken up when my phone rang, “Aline, you brat. When were you going to call?” Grandma complained upon my answering.

I smiled, “Sorry, grams, it's been strange here.”

“That's no excuse, young lady.” She sounded back without missing a beat.

“Of course it isn't.” I joked, “Not to you.”

“Tell me what's been going on that's so hectic that you can't call your poor, elderly, and infirm grandmother.” She played heavily on the sympathy card.

First I told her about the twins.

“Oh, they were such cute boys. But troublemakers. And, I gather, still are. But mighty successfully tricksters, indeed.” She commented.

Then about Will, Edward, and my job at Brewsters.

“Oh, that poor Ed. I felt so bad for him after his wife died. To have a heart attack at 30, very rare. And Will was only seven. They were both so devastated. It's good to hear they're doing fine. You are a lot like Mrs, Holster, you know, that's probably why they're so taken with you.”

And, finally, I told her about Jimmie.

“Oh, dear.” Grandma worried, “That's unfortunate, her situation.” She agreed with me, “If you need any advice, money, or just someone to talk to, Aline, call me.” She made me promise.

To take my mind off everything else, I had her tell me about her week since I had been gone. About grandpa's bowling tournament, how she almost broke her hip watering her hanging spice garden which I usually came over to do.

After we hung up, Will came bleary eyed into the room, stifling a yawn, still in nothing but boxers.

“Morning, Will.” I greeted.

“Morning.” He finally gave up on keeping it in and let out a huge yawn. “I have to go help dad a bit more today, will you be okay here with Jimmie?”

“Yeah, what time do you think you'll be back?”

“Probably three or so, and then we'll go over to the library.” He rooted in the kitchen for some cereal. “Who were you talking to on the phone?”

“Oh, just my grandma. She was chewing me out for not calling sooner.” I laughed, joining Will in the kitchen to get some cereal for myself.

Will chuckled before grabbing a spoon and moving towards the table. “Do you know how Jimmie is doing?” He asked as I sat across from him.

“No, grams called right as I woke up. I'll eat and see if she needs anything.” I answered. “Hey, Will?” I started a couple minutes later.

“Yeah, Al?” He asked. He's started to call me that now, and although it isn't a new version of my name, hardly anyone seemed to use it. I guess...I kind of liked it.

“You're a handsome guy--”

“Why do you sound like you just realized this?” Will laughed, shaking his head.

I smiled, “I didn't. I just wanted to know why it is you're single.”

“Recently single, actually.” He sighed.

“Ouch. Sorry to bring it up.” I apologized.

“No, it's okay, she caused too much drama for me. If I even looked at another girl, she'd get all possessive and weird. It just got really annoying.”

“Dang, I guess that would be pretty irritating.” I agreed, swirling my spoon in my bowl.

“You're pretty attractive yourself, what's your story? Why are you single?” He asked back.

I dropped my spoon, it clanged on the bowl and splashed milk on the table. I grabbed it quickly, looking intensely at the table. I put up one shoulder, “No one...I guess I'm just not interested.” I replied.

“Seriously? Not interested in dating? Most women your age would be so obsessed on trying to get some poor bloke to marry 'em.” He laughed, finishing up his breakfast.

“Yeah, I guess I'm just not like most girls.” I forced a laugh before trailing behind him with my own unfinished breakfast. Then I went upstairs quickly to avoid more personal conversations and knocked softly on Jimmie's door.

Getting no answer, I slowly opened the door. She seemed to be sleeping, wrapped in blankets with sweat covering what I could see of her skin. I left another full water bottle on the stand and went out again.

She could be sleeping, or passed out in exhaustion and pain. But, I guess relief is relief. I grabbed some clothes from my closet as Will came up the steps, and slipped into the bathroom for a quick shower.

I guess, while I had the chance, I should visit Oliver and James. I felt pretty bad for blowing them off yesterday, especially when James was in such a bad mood.

I blow dried my hair before dressing and exiting the bathroom, Will was gone and a quick peek in at Jimmie told me she was still sleeping. I think she needed it. I slipped on my worn out Converse and walked the couple steps to the Phelps' house.

“Oh, Aline!” Susan greeted, “It's been a couple days.”

I smiled, “Hey, Mrs. Phelps--”

“How many times do I have to tell you? Susan.” She corrected before I could continue.

Susan, are your boys home?”

“Oh, sorry, they left a while ago. They went to search for a flat. My boys are moving out.” She sniffled dramatically, placing her hand over her heart.

“Is that so?” I asked, surprised. But, I guess it made sense. They were 25, old enough to be out on their own. It should be more surprising that they're that old and still live with their parents. “Do you know when they'll be back?”

“I told you to look for directions before we left!” I heard Oliver say as two car doors slammed, one after the other and the two boys came walking back up the drive.

“It's not my fault the place is in a completely obscure part of town!” James argued back.

“Speak of the devil!” Susan exclaimed, “Boys, look who came to visit!”

Oliver and James smiled wide, at least it seemed he was in a better mood. “Aline! Way to be a stranger.” Oliver started, “I didn't know your friend from America was here.”

“What?” James and Susan said at the exact same time, looking at Oliver and then to me.

“Is that synchronization a family trait, then?” I laughed nervously. How in the world had Oliver known? “But, yes, Jimmie is here for a while, I think.”

“How come you didn't bring her over?” Susan demanded.

“I don't...she really can't go out—how did you meet her, Ollie?” I asked, fearing how much information might have been exchanged.

“Just last night, she was taking a walk, and I started conversation with her. She's a nice girl, pretty, too.” He answered.

Judging by all that, I guess she didn't say too much. So I was in the clear....for now. “You should bring her over for dinner.”

I clasped my hands tightly in front of me, nervous again, “That's not really a good idea, right now, Mrs. Phelps.” I shook my head, “She's had a tough time, and she's getting over some things.” I explained vaguely.

Susan didn't look too happy about it, but then she made my promise to bring Jimmie over once she was feeling better. “Let's get in out of the cold.” Susan then shooed us all inside the house with promises of cocoa. Even though it wasn't that cold.

“So, you guys are moving out, eh?” I struck up conversation. “Finally.” I teased.

“Yeah, but James didn't get the address right, we got a little lost and missed our appointment.” Oliver rolled his eyes.

“Do you need any help with packing at all that? I got pretty good at it, myself. Having to fit everything you own into six boxes is a pretty challenging feat, if I do say so myself.” I noticed James was still being abnormally quiet.

“If you have some extra time.” Oliver nodded.

“Hey, James, why so glum?” I asked.

“Nothing, Aline.” He answered, not even looking at me.

I frowned, “Are you sure? You seem pretty...” I trailed off.

“I'm fine.” He answered, “Just don't worry about it.”

My phone rang in my pocket, and I flipped it open, “Aline?” Jimmie asked, “Where are you?”

“The neighbors, I'll be back in a moment.” I told her, “Is everything all right?”

“Yeah, but I'm hungry.” She said, “But I can't seem to gather the energy to get out of bed.”

I stood up from the couch, “Okay, I'm leaving.”

“Bye, then.” Oliver and James waved as I shut the phone and turned to them.

“Sorry, guys...we'll hang out some time soon, for longer than five minutes, I promise.” I said before going out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Failure.
That is what I am.
I really, really am truly sorry.
I posted that chapter, and said I would update more, but...
I got so busy, I don't know what happened.

You're lucky I'm updating instead of studying for my midterms.
But I figured you waited enough.

I feel like I apologize to you guy too often.
But, I know better than to promise you more updates...
Which is depressing....

You know what, just for a treat, I'm going to post the next chapter right after this, okay?
As an apology.

Peace.Love.Happiness
Sara Michelle